• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any ten-ply Geelong crew neck in the work for this winter ? Or a roll neck ? Thanks !

Yes on both accounts.

They're both due to be finished by the end of September (the rollneck being what we call the gansey).

The polo shirt (with long sleeves) and a new bodywarmer (like a heavy sweater but with no sleeves, thus good for wearing under a heavy but not loose-fitting coat in winter) will also make an appearance, along with the watch cap, scarf, and balaclava.

moimael

Reaction score
Yes on both accounts.

They're both due to be finished by the end of September (the rollneck being what we call the gansey).

The polo shirt (with long sleeves) and a new bodywarmer (like a heavy sweater but with no sleeves, thus good for wearing under a heavy but not loose-fitting coat in winter) will also make an appearance, along with the watch cap, scarf, and balaclava.

Brilliant. Now I'm curious about the scarf and watch cap as well. What kind of colors can we expect on both the sweaters and accessories ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Brilliant. Now I'm curious about the scarf and watch cap as well. What kind of colors can we expect on both the sweaters and accessories ?

We've stuck to a palette similar to previous years — i.e. grey, navy, brown — and this time have added dark green to the mix.

We've also worked to increase the depth of colour, or perhaps the "texture" of colour, by adding an extra colour of yarn to each knit. Previously, a sweater in navy was comprised of two different blue / navy yarns, but this year, it will be three. Should make things a bit more interesting to look at, even if people can't quite put a finger on why.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What colors for the balmacaan this year?

Navy and brown. It is yarn spun in County Donegal again, so both colours will be replete with all sorts of flecks and blobs of colour. And tweed this time is a barleycorn design, so a little chunkier to look at than last year.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy and brown. It is yarn spun in County Donegal again, so both colours will be replete with all sorts of flecks and blobs of colour. And tweed this time is a barleycorn design, so a little chunkier to look at than last year.

Love it. Very excited to see the brown. Big fan of the donegal you manage to get father and son to produce every year.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't the flight jacket, discussed last week, but development slightly more immediate. It's the revised version of the Chesterfield, which will hopefully appear on the website in finished form before the end of next month.

We've made the coat more formal, I guess, with some of the seams going in slightly different directions. There's a new chest pocket, too, and the gorge has been lowered (which I like, but which seems to go against the grain of the modern world). The break is very low now, too, and I wonder if it is too low to hold itself together in thicker cloth. Might need to look at that ...

View attachment 1443466 View attachment 1443467 View attachment 1443468

The cloth from which this prototype is made is in fact the same as the production cloth. We're making it in this colour, and also in a very, very dark blue ("midnight"). It's heavy: heavier than it looks in photographs, I think, and in person. It's only really the up-close photo above that suggests its thickness -- although that's only half the story: it's also just incredibly dense.
How long will this coat be?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^^ the longer the better!

Yep — it's a bit of a balancing issue, in terms of design. The pockets are pretty large, see (they're wider and deeper than last year) and I worry that without extra length, the coat might be a little top-heavy (even though the pockets aren't anywhere near the top of anything).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads