• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rogue Tailor Needles Savile Row, Gets Himself a (Law)Suit

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I admire what Matthew Farne is doing.

He's like the gateway for people who are interested in getting high quality bespoke at more affordable prices without the excessive travel.

I think this would actually open doors for bespoke rookies to venture to Savile Row tailors and increase their exposure.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like many SR tailors would rather the Row die than let it be anything other than their deluded anachronistic fantasies.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"LONDON"”In the buttoned-down world of Savile Row, Matthew Farnes is an awkward fit.

"The 35-year-old Mr. Farnes calls himself a Savile Row tailor even though his workshop is in his house outside London, far from the city's famous district of custom suitmakers that has grown up around the street. Traditional Savile Row tailors require precise customer fittings in their shops; Mr. Farnes makes house calls. In a world governed by discretion, Mr. Farnes courts attention with a blog, 'The Savile Row Artisan,' where he touts his creations and offers fashion tips, like which jackets go well with jeans.

"But what really riles Savile Row about Mr. Farnes is that he was once one of them"”but now has gone rogue..."

The first part of the article, as quoted by vox above, just looks like fluff to me - you could say most of that about McMahon and others that don't get described as having "gone rogue".

What the article eventually says Farnes is actually being sued for is behaviour that would breach most employee contracts I would've thought:

"Ede & Ravenscroft .. sued Mr. Farnes for breach of employment contract, including allegedly making suits for a rugby team behind his employer's back, taking client data and soliciting its customers to his new business."

agoldf

Reaction score
Good read. I wonder though if had a full range of experience considering the division of labor generally found on the row.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i wonder if the will make a video game out of this story?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Able
Farnes should really just move to NYC, where there will be next to no bespoke tailoring 10 years from now.

Maybe Despos, the traveling Brits and Chinese, and the odd Neopolitan or two should form the League of Tailors Visiting New York City to work out schedules that would give the year about 20 weeks of tailoring coverage.

They could use online calendaring software of some sort and maybe text messaging.

- B

S. Able

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Maybe Despos, the traveling Brits and Chinese, and the odd Neopolitan or two should form the League of Tailors Visiting New York City to work out schedules that would give the year about 20 weeks of tailoring coverage.

They could use online calendaring software of some sort and maybe text messaging.

- B

Or perhaps they could arrange some sort of sabbatical program where a couple of them would come to NYC (or another city) for a year or two, make great clothing, teach tailoring, chase ladies, have fun, yadda.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or perhaps they could arrange some sort of sabbatical program where a couple of them would come to NYC (or another city) for a year or two, make great clothing, teach tailoring, chase ladies, have fun, yadda.

I can see the headlines now. Tailors ****, pillage, and burn down cities across America, all with their collars still glued to their necks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

How about they assemble here instead: Ahoy!

They could be the focal point of the cruise.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, but if that baby goes down, we could lose 50% of the world's tailoring knowledge in a matter of minutes. I like where your head is at though.

But oh, the sheer romance before that fatal fate!

titanic1.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads