• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milw50717

Reaction score

Much obliged! Sounds like Stockmans dressing is what I'm after.

By the way, are there any advantages to not having the inner comfort sole on the Blaxland, as opposed to the Comfort Craftsman which does have it? I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying the Blaxland, my feet get pretty sweaty in them, and the ball at the base of my toes get a bit beaten up.

Does the lack of inner comfort sole maintain the shape of the leather better? I mean, what is the point of the Blaxland anyway? :)

I think it would just be a matter of comfort for the wearer as opposed to being structural to the boot. Just put in you own inner sole - whole or partial - as required

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Thanks, Milw!

New question: I applied this shoe cream (only in mahogany/chestnut): http://www.amazon.com/WOLY-European-Premium-Cream-BLACK/dp/B0068OZCUA/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3

Is that OK if my goal was to apply a "leather conditioner"?

I also have Fiebing´s Leather Finishes with beeswax. Is that for waterproofing or is that a proper "leather conditioner"? It doesn't say on the box. I'm unsure if I'm supposed to apply it over the shoe cream I just put on, or if it's unnecessary now?

Dr P00b

Reaction score
I have no idea sorry mate. I just use the RM stuff that I got when I purchased the boots. I think it would be very similar to any type of leather conditioner but I can't be sure. It says on the back that it includes beeswax & lanolin.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
That's alright, Dr P00b. I just bought the RM branded stuff, just in case.

If anyone else is in the same position as I was, I tried asking RM Williams directly over e-mail, and this is what they said:

"I cannot speak for other brands. (...) Our Stockman's polish is all that you need to use when caring for your boots. This polish already has a conditioner in it and uses Carnauba wax to get a better shine. You can apply our leather conditioner bi monthly for additional nourishment but if polished regularly it is not needed."

and next mail:

"(...) Our 100ml conditioner does not [have beeswax].The amount of beeswax [in the large tub of leather conditioner] is negligible and would not have an adverse effect on finished leather. I suspect it is in there to assist with water resistance.

Re the Blaxland vs Comfort Craftsman it is a personal preference. The Comfort is the better option in my opinion as I have both. There is a school of thought that the leather innersole breathes better bu I personally don't subscribe to it."

So there it is. They answered rather quickly, which I thought was impressive.

Last edited:

Alvinbmx

Reaction score

AUSTRALIAN iconic clothing and boot maker RM Williams has fallen into foreign hands, with French luxury brand giant LVMH Group believed to be close to finalising a deal to purchase the 81-year-old retail company.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...apped-up-by-lvmh/story-fn91v9q3-1226619460172

The deal has actually been finalised. L Capital has acquired only 49% and the owner of RM William is still the majority stake holder.

Hopefully, quality will not suffer and prices will not rise. Please ....... Fingers crossed !

Quality should not suffer. In fact, it will get better. With LVMH connection and resources, RM Williams will be able to source better leather and equipment.

Good for them. Bad for us.

Why would LVMH move down market...

L Capital is not a subsidiary or part of LVMH. L Capital is a mutual fund started and sponsored by LVMH.

So by the sounds of it, I should hurry up and pull the trigger on a few pairs, before the inevitable price 'adjustment'...or change to more 'cost effective' construction techniques.

No one knows if there will be any price adjustment but I'm quite sure there will be better and more products. Even if they will be a price change, it won't be so soon. At least until next year.

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Just like all mutual funds, the purpose is to enhance the valuation of the acquisition before divesting it. Therefore, L Capital would have to do a lot of things to enhance the value. Better quality, higher production output, more retail outlets, overseas expansion and etc.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The deal has actually been finalised. L Capital has acquired only 49% and the owner of RM William is still the majority stake holder.
Quality should not suffer. In fact, it will get better. With LVMH connection and resources, RM Williams will be able to source better leather and equipment.
L Capital is not a subsidiary or part of LVMH. L Capital is a mutual fund started and sponsored by LVMH.
No one knows if there will be any price adjustment but I'm quite sure there will be better and more products. Even if they will be a price change, it won't be so soon. At least until next year.
Just like all mutual funds, the purpose is to enhance the valuation of the acquisition before divesting it. Therefore, L Capital would have to do a lot of things to enhance the value. Better quality, higher production output, more retail outlets, overseas expansion and etc.

Thanks for the clarification. But typically, better quality and higher production output doesn't go well together.

Alvinbmx

Reaction score

Thanks for the clarification.  But typically, better quality and higher production output doesn't go well together.

I do understand your concern but it can actually be done. Although I am not sure what L Capital will do but if you look at L Capital's portfolio, you can actually see what they have value-added to those brands.

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
My overall impression is that the quality of RM Williams has gone down considerably over the last few years. Every comfort edition pair I've seen has had the same issue with the sole splitting off in the front after some time. Spoke to my cobbler about and to him it was a well-known problem.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's quality is not high to begin with. 5 years and my yearling craftsman is starting to crack... Very minor but still... Other shoes of the same age are still surviving without any damage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads