• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr P00b

Reaction score
Yip agree. I've got two and they're great. At first I didn't really like the bright tail rings (the bits that sit off the side of the buckle) but after a while I got used to them. They have all sorts though. Even dress style with minimal buckle for more formal wear.

peeduh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Any idea what happened to the "made to order" section on the RM Williams website?

I can only see the RM Williams Signature boot - there is no option to design your own order?

Regards,
Peter

Nathan5653

Reaction score
Busa, I just received my MTO order for the Yearling Boot today. It's in dark brown suede with the Comfort rubber sole and the block heel or whatever it's called. If you like, I can take a couple of pictures for you.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seeing as there are 215-odd pages to this thread - too many to go through - has anyone posted pics of their well-loved, hacked-up old RMs?

I have been wearing the same pair for close on 15 years now. (OK, occasionally I do take them off.) Had them re-soled once, by an official RMW repairer in Albury. This was before I knew about Goodyear welting, and when the boots were returned to me looking well-nigh brand new, I simply couldn't figure out how he had done the re-sole.

They were subjected to major trauma when I hiked off the Schilthorn in Switzerland about seven years ago. (I also got the worst sunburn of my life that day.) The leather has roughened, cracked and actually split in a couple of places now, but with a lick of RMW chestnut polish and then a finish with Oakwood leather conditioner, they still come up looking vaguely wearable every time. I just can't bear to throw them out. The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned, and dollar-for-day-worn, the best value too.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was weak
musicboohoo[1].gif

The seasonal Brandy Veal Dynamic Flex Craftsmans

And now for a line-up comparison...

From left to right - Aztec Nubuck craftsman, Brandy Veal Dynamic Flex Craftsman, Chestnut Yearling Dynamic Flex Craftsman, Black Yearling Dynamic Flex Craftsman, Black Veal Forum Special, and a fraud
facepalm.gif
Something I don't quite get about the Forum Special - supposedly it's a Craftsman, but the one in this photo (second from right) appears to have a pointy toe reminiscent more of the Yearling.

I quite like the pointier toe but I don't like the cuban heel of the standard Yearling (as featured on RMW's website). Can anyone advise the last number of this pointy-toe style? Thanks.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as there are 215-odd pages to this thread - too many to go through - has anyone posted pics of their well-loved, hacked-up old RMs?

I have been wearing the same pair for close on 15 years now. (OK, occasionally I do take them off.) Had them re-soled once, by an official RMW repairer in Albury. This was before I knew about Goodyear welting, and when the boots were returned to me looking well-nigh brand new, I simply couldn't figure out how he had done the re-sole.

They were subjected to major trauma when I hiked off the Schilthorn in Switzerland about seven years ago. (I also got the worst sunburn of my life that day.) The leather has roughened, cracked and actually split in a couple of places now, but with a lick of RMW chestnut polish and then a finish with Oakwood leather conditioner, they still come up looking vaguely wearable every time. I just can't bear to throw them out. The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned, and dollar-for-day-worn, the best value too.

Haven't owned one that long mate - but my black RMW in my picture shine like that after 2 years with nothing more than a lick of conditioner!

Busa

Reaction score
At last- back in the States for a couple of weeks and my RMW boots were here- first pair for me. This is a custom order Yearling with the screwed sole, and I love the way they look. I'm still getting used to the fit- they feel great on my entire foot and ankle, like a glove, and my three outside toes just touch the edge of the inside. I am still deciding if this is perfect, or if I should use a European size next time to go up just a touch... ?
Also the sock liner I expected to be one smooth piece, but it has a line at the heel section I can feel, then continues to the toe of the boot. I'm not sure about this yet, I may explore super thin insoles to try with it.

Here it is... I think this is one sleek looking piece of footwear... (8 1/2D US)

Busa

Reaction score
Something I don't quite get about the Forum Special - supposedly it's a Craftsman, but the one in this photo (second from right) appears to have a pointy toe reminiscent more of the Yearling.

I quite like the pointier toe but I don't like the cuban heel of the standard Yearling (as featured on RMW's website). Can anyone advise the last number of this pointy-toe style? Thanks.

There are actually three heels- flat, block, and Cuban- Yearling has block heel, not Cuban- picture in post just above...

The Forum Special looks pointier because the sole is not the standard Goodyear welted- it is a screwed sole so doesn't have quite the "bumper" of the standard sole, makes it look much sleeker. My boots are the Yearling with the screwed sole, so more pointed toe AND sleeker sole...

Last edited:

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are actually three heels- flat, block, and Cuban- Yearling has block heel, not Cuban- picture in post just above...

The Forum Special looks pointier because the sole is not the standard Goodyear welted- it is a screwed sole so doesn't have quite the "bumper" of the standard sole, makes it look much sleeker. My boots are the Yearling with the screwed sole, so more pointed toe AND sleeker sole...
Busa, thanks for clarifying.

I'm also quite taken by the "Signature" boot on the RMW website. This seems to tick quite a few boxes - veal calf leather, flat heel, "refined toe shape", and so on. Looks to be Goodyear welted from the photo (see below). I would be reluctant to order online - not quite sure of my size - and as I have the luxury of being near an RMW boutique, I might enquire there. Sounds like the screwed sole might just make this beauty a little sleeker still, although it's not too shabby as is...

I'm guessing this model would only be available either online or through the boutique. It's A$600 online. Anyone have feedback on the Signature boot?

havingaraveup

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the black macquarie for 2 years, but haven't been able to convince myself to go for it. Really dumb question, but are these timberland boots in a sleek last?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Busa, thanks for clarifying. I'm also quite taken by the "Signature" boot on the RMW website. This seems to tick quite a few boxes - veal calf leather, flat heel, "refined toe shape", and so on. Looks to be Goodyear welted from the photo (see below). I would be reluctant to order online - not quite sure of my size - and as I have the luxury of being near an RMW boutique, I might enquire there. Sounds like the screwed sole might just make this beauty a little sleeker still, although it's not too shabby as is... I'm guessing this model would only be available either online or through the boutique. It's A$600 online. Anyone have feedback on the Signature boot?
I've handled them and they are nice boots no doubt. Having said that, apart from a brass plate on the sole arch and the signature which gives the boots their name, I couldn't see much difference superficially between them and a pair of French veal craftsmen (the sig boots are the same last as the craftsman B543). For $600 they are overpriced for sure, but don't be surprised if you couldn't get them cheaper via one of the online wholesalers like Bootsonline. That said, I'm still not convinced they are worth a $200 premium over RMW's "regular" French veal models, or a FV MTO. They are also very, very nice boots...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member