• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Does anyone know how the Craftsman compares in sizing (length only) to Church's 108 last? Would I need the same size or would I need to size down in RMW?

Same size. Still, the Craftsman runs a tiny fraction wider than any of Church's lasts. But it isn't significant enough to fiddle with sizes/widths.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems President Bush is a new fan of RMWs! http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/arc...liam/index.php
Originally Posted by blogger Steve Clemons
As part of the Australian American Leadership Dialogue earlier this year, I had the opportunity to hang out with Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd at the Willard Hotel. He's very cool. I asked him what he talked about with President Bush earlier in the day. He said a few things -- but what was most memorable is that Rudd told me that Bush coveted Kevin Rudd's boots -- which were R.M Williams boots. Other Australians on hand told me that they were tough to adjust to -- but Kevin's were custom made. Next trip to Australia, I hope to get some -- size 14 U.S. size. But it was a memorable moment. Rudd also talked climate change, China, and Iraq with Bush -- but the R.M. Williams boots took top billing.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Well today I ordered what I think may be the perfect pair of UK autumn/winter boots, the Drover. The last is B543 (Craftsman) but the leather is the thicker Vesta type with a level of water resistance and the sole is the glued, screwed and stiched Longhorn rubber.

In terms of wear for my other pairs (pics earlier in the thread), I find I'm wearing my Yard boots a lot more than either my Craftsmen or Macquaries, but this could be due to the fact that I don't wear any of them with a suit and that the UK has had another very wet summer (making leather soles a bit of a no-no).

I'll post pics when the Drovers arrive if anyone's interested.

pvpatty

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I read through to page 23, didn't find it, and didn't really want to keep reading until page 76, so here goes: I already have a pair of 10F Craftsman, which I love, and am interested in getting a pair of the Kangaroo Buckle Boots B653K (http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/pro...oducts_id/169). These boots have a chisel toe; my question is, can you get these on another last with a round toe such as the B529 in Sator's original post? I am envisioning that sort of sleek boot, with the brass screw construction, but with the buckle fastener instead of the traditional elastic sides. Does the RM Williams MTO program allow this level of configuration? I might also fire an email off to them about this or drop into the Brisbane RM store tomorrow to ask. Thanks in advance, Paul

pvpatty

Reaction score
I just found this link http://www.nungar.com.au/shop/mto-boots.htm which gives the impression that any heel or toe combination can be used, but still I will have to double check. I'm thinking of getting the B529, with buckle, brass screws and in the tan or 'honey tan' colour, to wear with khakis and the like.

pvpatty

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip (and for starting this thread), I'll try and head in tomorrow or Friday to suss it out.

Also, someone once told me that if you go to Toowoomba or somewhere particularly rural, you can sometimes pick up the boots for about $100 cheaper. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

pvpatty

Reaction score
Went into the RM store in Brisbane today, got a copy of their latest catalogue, with all the MTO ins-and-outs. I took a good look at the screwed construction for the first time, and it really does make a huge difference to the sleekness of the last, more than I would have thought possible or practicable.

I will scan in some pages from the catalogue and post links tomorrow.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvpatty
I just found this link http://www.nungar.com.au/shop/mto-boots.htm which gives the impression that any heel or toe combination can be used, but still I will have to double check.

I'm thinking of getting the B529, with buckle, brass screws and in the tan or 'honey tan' colour, to wear with khakis and the like.

I have a pair in tan, and they're a pretty dark "tan". Have been interested in the honey tan myself, but never seen an actual boot in it, just colour sheet representations. So please let us know how it turns out.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Well, my Drovers appeared today so I thought I'd snap some more pics (especially as I have acquired a pair of Stockyards in the meantime).

The Drover seems to be an MTO, at least is says so on the box. The last is B543 so the shape is the same as the Craftsman but it has the glued, screwed and welted sole from the Yard Boot. It's made from Vesta leather which is quite thick and apparently water-resistant.

Fit is about the same as the Craftsman but they feel a lot more substantial as I would expect.

For reference, the Stockyard is a 10H (they only come in wide fit but the shape is so different they fit well anyway), the Yard Boot and Drover are 10G and the Craftsman and Macquarie are 10.5G. All fit very well although I could go to a 10G in the Craftsman I think. The Macquarie is too narrow for me to size down.

For fun I've posted some daylight pics below with various comparisons. The Stockyard isn't a sleek boot but it's very tough and comfortable. Interestingly, all the boots are "Brown"
smile.gif

Stockyard (Dark Brown Oxhide) and Macquarie (Whiskey Yearling) - one is a bit more sleek....

Stockyard-and-Macquarie.jpg

Drover (Brown Vesta) and Macquarie

Drover-and-Macquarie.jpg

Drover and Yard Boot (Greasy Kip - quite a reddish brown)

Drover-and-Yard-Boot.jpg

Craftsman (Chestnut Yearling) and Drover

Drover-and-Craftsman.jpg

Drover sole

Drover-sole.jpg

All five for colour/shape comparison

Five-right-feet.jpg

All five pairs

5-RM-Williams.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those macquaries look really nice in whiskey. Thanks for posting!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads