• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regional tailor/dry cleaner/shop wiki idea

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Idea:

Every day or two someone posts a question about where to find a tailor in such and such city. It receives three replies and then disappears. Google might bring it back, but it might not. Can we make a wiki or something that has geographical reviews of merchants and other clothing related businesses that are recommended?

In theory we would only post positive reviews. "Tailor John Q. Smith in Bumfudgeville altered a suit in the following manner." Pics that have been vetted by the forum are posted and Tailor Smith in Bumfudgevile is commended for his work. Now someone can use the search function for "Tailor Bumfudgeville" and will receive useful information. If someone sucks bilge water he will not stay in the wiki. If someone is new or untested, he will not yet be in the wiki. If someone conducts himself in an appropriate manner, he will receive more business.

Does this make sense? It would be nice if we could use the collective experience of SF to encourage tailors and drycleaners and retailers who ROCK, and minimize repetitive threads.

Just a thought. Thank you for reading.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or we could just use the "search styleforum.net" option.....

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
I would be very interested in this. I have yet to find a tailor/cobbler that I can really trust here in Miami. It could be sort of like Car Talk's mechanic's files. It would make a very good sticky thread, maybe with an updated front page listing major cities alphabetically.

Great idea.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll just get vandalized.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this idea. And where else would be better than a forum full of the most nit picky and snobby members on the interwebz?
smile.gif

nyc-nowss

Reaction score
I run a wiki like project that could possibly work for this kind of project -- we're looking for structured data like this, so I'd be happy to get it started with you guys.

Anyone can edit, so that's kind of an issue (vandalism wise), but we plan to implement voting at some point.

check it out: http://quippd.com

Just post a new story and make it editable -- you can link to other pages, tag with city names, etc etc. Send me a PM if you have any suggestions for improvements!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I just added some stuff to it, but it doesn't show up on the map. What am I doing wrong?

Searched for the place. Found it. Click Save to --> StyleForum Retail Directory

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. Surely we can get a wiki going that will be free of spam and vandalism.

Ninogaggi

Reaction score
SnarlPatrick;4058407 said:
... I have yet to find a tailor/cobbler that I can really trust here in Miami...

I would recommend Basil's Tailor shop in South Miami, his brother has another shop by the same name in the Killian area. I tried doing some research about this on here and elsewhere but didn't find much. So far I've taken three suits on separate occasions - and I can say that I'm fairly pleased with his work. The degree of difficulty of the alterations has increased each time I've gone - started with just sleeves & hems on 1st suit, which has escalated to having sleeves lengthening/shoulders/collar lowering/all new buttons/waist/rise/leg taper/hems on the 3rd suit which I'll pick up on Monday.

The only knock on him is that he's somewhat pricey, but I'll gladly overpay for good work rather than risk having some hack destroy one of my suits in trying to save a few bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads