• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Schucknasty

Reaction score
You're right. Totally overthinking this. Nothing lasts forever, but these have some good years left on them and I dig the way they look, so I need to just go with how they are and do what I can to preserve them in the meantime. Either they are falling apart in the closet, in the trash or on my feet. The latter sounds better to me. Thanks for the reply, Andy!

Anyone with any thoughts on the model?

Schucknasty

Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence anrobit. I love the way they look and guess that's what matters. I may reach out to RW to see what they recommend in terms of ongoing care, but suspect it will be much what I have been doing (other than neglecting their existence for the past few years, obviously). Would love to know what leather they are made out of, as that may make some difference in the care recommendations.

Cadenza

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been on the lookout for a plain toe blucher for a while now, and the Red Wing 9042 Beckman Oxford caught my eye. It looks great, and I am lusting after it. However, I came across the Amazon reviews, and a number of people have reported quality issues with their 9042s. I know at least a couple of people here own a pair of 9042s - have you encountered problems with them? Have you been satisfied with them?

They cost around 319 € here in Europe, and that´s a bit of coin… There´s a store that sells RW shoes nearby, so I would probably not be buying them sight unseen.

henal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been on the lookout for a plain toe blucher for a while now, and the Red Wing 9042 Beckman Oxford caught my eye. It looks great, and I am lusting after it. However, I came across the Amazon reviews, and a number of people have reported quality issues with their 9042s. I know at least a couple of people here own a pair of 9042s - have you encountered problems with them? Have you been satisfied with them?

They cost around 319 € here in Europe, and that´s a bit of coin… There´s a store that sells RW shoes nearby, so I would probably not be buying them sight unseen.

I bought the 9042 last spring. When I first got them they the were extremly stiff and took quite a while to break in. After a few moths both shoes started squeaking. I returned them to the store where I had bought them and instead of getting a new pair I bought some other RW boots instead.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My woman ordered me a pair of RW Iron Rangers for my birthday and i am pretty stocked!!

They should be getting here in 4 days. I tried on a pair at Nordies but the size they had was a half size below my usual. As expected, they fit a bit snug and the arch line was just a bit too behind so we ordered them in my size. Gotta say, they really are stiff and will most likely take time to break into.

I definitively won't be using these guys for my job and I'll keep 'em clean to wear with raw denim.
I'm going to make a run and grab some mink oil for them, anything else i should get?

Pics to come soon.

Cadenza

Reaction score
I bought the 9042 last spring. When I first got them they the were extremly stiff and took quite a while to break in. After a few moths both shoes started squeaking. I returned them to the store where I had bought them and instead of getting a new pair I bought some other RW boots instead.

Thank you for your reply. Hrm, I am sorry to hear this. The stiffness seems to be a feature of RW shoes, but I would be okay with that. I am definitely torn here, some people seem to have had no problems, while others report issues that should not appear in shoes that are this expensive, IMO. Perhaps I will try to find a pair and try them on first, and then decide what to do.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up these Red Wing style# 8199. Haven't seen much mention of them, so I thought I'd snap a few pics. The leather, which RW calls "Hawthorne Driftwood" is pretty interesting. It's the most "raw" looking leather I've seen from them and this is the only boot I've seen use it. It comes lighter out of the box -- these pics are after a coating of Obenauf's LP and I added some new waxed cotton laces. They should develop a nice patina. Here are pics:

Last edited:

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're right. Totally overthinking this. Nothing lasts forever, but these have some good years left on them and I dig the way they look, so I need to just go with how they are and do what I can to preserve them in the meantime. Either they are falling apart in the closet, in the trash or on my feet. The latter sounds better to me. Thanks for the reply, Andy!

Anyone with any thoughts on the model?

I'd say 957. I had a brand new pair I sold awhile ago.

Use obenauf's to try and bring them back a bit. Give them a good clean first (I use lexol), then wait for a hot day, put them in a bag in the sun, let them get soft, then apply obenauf's. You'll get plenty out of them.

anrobit

Reaction score
I'd say 957. I had a brand new pair I sold awhile ago.

Use obenauf's to try and bring them back a bit. Give them a good clean first (I use lexol), then wait for a hot day, put them in a bag in the sun, let them get soft, then apply obenauf's. You'll get plenty out of them.
Why do you need to apply Obenauf's to them? Why can't you just use a standard conditioner?

Schucknasty

Reaction score

Why do you need to apply Obenauf's to them? Why can't you just use a standard conditioner?
I cleaned them with saddle soap and used Obenauf's boot oil (not the HDLP) because that's what I have handy for conditioning. I do find that it softens the leather quite a bit so may switch to VSC or something else in the future. I also know some people think saddle soap dries the leather too much (though I haven't had a problem with this since I usually condition any time the boots warrant that thorough a cleaning). Anyone with thoughts on saddle soap vs. Lexol or similar cleaners?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads