• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

tays

Reaction score
Went to Rolo in SF this weekend and picked up a pair of 5EP Straights, LVC 1947, Jeanshop Rockers,and a J. Lindeberg Belt. There goes my denim budget for awhile, at least until Self Edge opens next month
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I agree, but they will still look like dress shirts. I spend more money on casual clothes than I do on dress clothes which are too stuffy for me. You can get custom tailored jantzen shrits for 50 buck where should you draw the line? I'm not about saving money, I'm about getting exactly the look I want and I don't mind spending that much on something that I like more than a custom "dress" shirt.

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Wow that's dirt cheap, you came up.

The fabric is nothing special nor are the patterns but the cut is what you're paying for. It will be in your closet forever unless you gain weight
crackup[1].gif

The best part is the high cut sides, I can't say enough about them.

That's an awesome looking shirt. I have a Sisley shirt I picked up for £15 with high cut sides like that... it's tough for me to wear with my SSKs because they're so low-rise. It's a very unique look though.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
I agree, but they will still look like dress shirts. I spend more money on casual clothes than I do on dress clothes which are too stuffy for me. You can get custom tailored jantzen shrits for 50 buck where should you draw the line? I'm not about saving money, I'm about getting exactly the look I want and I don't mind spending that much on something that I like more than a custom "dress" shirt.

I wasn't trying to diss your purchase btw - I really like those shirts. I just find the pricing to be somewhat nonsensical. I saw some of them for over $250, for just a plain button down oxford. I know the cut is pretty slick but I'd like to see some better fabrics and details for that price. That's why I was thinking about a Borrelli or Barba. I know what you mean about "stuffy" dress shirts, but some of the those shirst have great fabrics, collars and cuts. If you get a tailor to shorten them and even fit the body a bit if necessary, you'd have something in a similar genre to the BoO. Just something to consider as another alternative for a cool casual button up shirt.

I just ordered a Troglodyte Homonculus shirt from the Sur Seize Veingt website. It should be here tomorrow - if the cut is nice I may order one or two more.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
None taken, I hope I didn't come off as being defensive because I like them no matter what. Are they the best shirts ever made, no but they are very unique and the fit is flattering. I hear you on the price point though but there's not much I can do. I'm very interested in the troglodyte shirts as well so be sure to post pics. I love the tailored shirt and jeans/pants look, the foundation for most of my outfits.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
I'm not about saving money, I'm about getting exactly the look I want and I don't mind spending that much on something that I like more than a custom "dress" shirt.

I'm with you on that boat....I think that's a big difference in the mindset between the Streetwear and MC sides of the forum, this side is more about getting the desired look, regardless of price (but of course everyone prefers to pay less rather than more). The MC side seems to be about finding bargains and letting what's on sale determine their look. Not there's anything wrong with that either, just different approaches to achieving "style".

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
The MC side seems to be about finding bargains and letting what's on sale determine their look. Not there's anything wrong with that either, just different approaches to achieving "style".

I'm not sure that's the case with shoes, though... read the current G&G thread heh

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Mogwai,

I'm a little taller than 5'10" and 180 lbs pretty muscular been lifting for years but not huge and kind of lean. My shoulders are pretty broad and arms somewhat big. I wear a 42 in blazers, sometimes 40 depending on the cut. There is no way you will fit into the L if they have the darts on the back which mine do. Fits kinda tight in shoulder and forearm since sleeves are slim but not uncomfortable at all. Once you have it on you forget the fit because there is no discomfort. Ryan and I are both the same size and he takes a XL in the slim cut ones but they still look like a size medium
crackup[1].gif

I just ordered a pink/white BoO Oxford from shopjake for $75 in XXL, I figure it should work ok with me wearing a 44 jacket.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm with you on that boat....I think that's a big difference in the mindset between the Streetwear and MC sides of the forum, this side is more about getting the desired look, regardless of price (but of course everyone prefers to pay less rather than more). The MC side seems to be about finding bargains and letting what's on sale determine their look. Not there's anything wrong with that either, just different approaches to achieving "style".

I don't think this is true for either forum, but if anything the guys on the other forum spend way more than the streetwear guys. I dress streetwear about 99% of the time, and I spend more on clothes than any of my friends, but I still have my limits and I'm sure you do too. You say you want the best look regardless of price, but there must me some price at which you draw the line, right? Some of the guys on the other forum have more money invested in their shoes than I have invested in everything I own put together (aside from real estate).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
of course we all have a line regarding price, but in context to JETs original point with the BoO shirt, I think (and I'm severly generalizing here) more "streetwear" guys will pay full retail to get a specific item that gives him a specific look than the "MC" guys who usually arent so style-specific and can find another item on sale that will serve the same purpose for his look. Personally speaking, if I am looking for a certain cricket sweater and I have the option of 100% what I'm envisioning for $200 and another sweater that is 80% of my vision for $50, I will always choose the $200 one.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
of course we all have a line regarding price, but in context to JETs original point with the BoO shirt, I think (and I'm severly generalizing here) more "streetwear" guys will pay full retail to get a specific item that gives him a specific look than the "MC" guys who usually arent so style-specific and can find another item on sale that will serve the same purpose for his look. Personally speaking, if I am looking for a certain cricket sweater and I have the option of 100% what I'm envisioning for $200 and another sweater that is 80% of my vision for $50, I will always choose the $200 one.

Possibly because good wool is more expensive than good denim?

Also, if your 100% sweater is $1500 and your 80% sweater is $250, which do you choose then?

Also, maybe it's harder to stick out when wearing jeans because there are more people who dress better on the street than in the office.

And the mysteries continue.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Also, if your 100% sweater is $1500 and your 80% sweater is $250, which do you choose then?

Also, maybe it's harder to stick out when wearing jeans because there are more people who dress better on the street than in the office.

bastard! our pocketbooks all have limits unfortunately. I liked my example better since it was comparing 2 items within financial means and I was able to manipulate the scenario to my advantage.

that said, I might like tailored gear more than streetwear, but I wear more streetwear.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Possibly because good wool is more expensive than good denim?

I'd like to see what a $1500 sweater looks like
crackup[1].gif

I know they exist but my point is the marginal difference in quality b/w a 300 and a 1500 isn't as great as the variance b/w a 50 and 300 dollar sweater. Still I think that was an excellent viewpoint by GS that a lot of us share I think. I would never take the $50 dollar sweater if I love the $250 sweater which was the point of the discussion.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sheeeeeeeeet, mang. I've seen $2500 sweaters at Fred Segal with holes in the elbows and Anarchy symbols on the chest. Those are for the punk rockers. The expensive ones are upstairs.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
along the lines of what we've been talking about the past few messages, here are a pair of Paul Smith mainline boots I bought 2 weekends ago...I had been looking at laceup boots in the $150-200 range and decided to go with what *I really wanted* and got the PS, which I havent regretted for one second. It was exactly what I wanted in every detail.

bootspz3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads