• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent LV quality -- Taiga leather

Sazerac

Reaction score
So I swing by the local bourgeois mall today because Sak's is closing (picked up a casual Elie Tahari jacket and a scarf for next to nothing.) Anyway, I decided to stop in the local LV mart. I hadn't been to one in years.

I asked the saleslady to see a briefcase in Taiga, which I've always liked. I was shocked to discover that the leather seemed almost brittle to the touch. On top of that, the craftsmanship was so subpar -- I mean, loose, unevenly spaced stitches everywhere, flimsy lining -- that I almost thought I was down on Canal St.

I know LV doesn't get much love around here, but has there quality fallen so dramatically in the last few years? I have no idea how this company survives selling mid-90's GM quality at Audi prices.

/rant

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might have been that piece. I've seen many of their Taiga pieces (it's the only leather that doesn't scream LV), and the quality is often top notch at a reasonable price. Did you just look at that one item?

sf_esq

Reaction score
More quanity = less quality. The internet and Asian markets have probably affected quality control. How could it not?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought anything LV in probably 2 years but I have a wallet that I use daily and when I take it our of my back pocket and flatten it out it looks like the day I got it. It was made in France, did you check where the briefcase was made? Italy or USA? (Also heard they started making stuff in India but never seen anything)

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a fan, I can vouch for Made In France items. Made anywhere else seems to be "different." Hard to put my finger on it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a taiga briefcase from the 90's. I personally love it. I got a deal on it and it was the right size and style that I wanted and cheaper than an SAB so I pulled the trigger. The leather on it is very supple and still smells brand new. I can't comment on the new stuff, but I was thinking about getting a portfolio in taiga leather to match. I better look on ebay for some old ones it seems...

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im am sure it was jus that piece. Vuitton is overpriced but quality is still pretty good.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
More quanity = less quality. The internet and Asian markets have probably affected quality control. How could it not?

Mis-informed and let's blame it on Asian. Rolex churns out a large volume of luxury watches. I would wager that the defect rate is comparable to small exclusive watch companies.

OP, I would say you experienced a one-off bad piece from LV. They are excellent products overall.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a late 90's Taiga garment bag and I love it. Really well made and well organized, with zippered cases for ties and accessories, and a separate compartment for shoes, etc. Haters can hate, but when it comes to luggagey items, Louis Vuitton is a great brand.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Mis-informed and let's blame it on Asian. Rolex churns out a large volume of luxury watches. I would wager that the defect rate is comparable to small exclusive watch companies.

OP, I would say you experienced a one-off bad piece from LV. They are excellent products overall.

Misinformed? It's my opinion. I'm not blaming "Asian", it simple - higher volume means more difficult to maintain quality. That's typically the way it works for most brands, not all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics