• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

Wait...you plan to do 3 major museums after lunch?
You are going to the Shake Shack in DUMBO right? That's the only way that you can possibly attempt such an adventure.
(Unless you are just walking by each museum.)

Was planning to go to the on by the bridge (no idea what DUMBO is).

Do you think it is too much? Should i save moma for friday?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any suggestions? My plans thus far:

Thurs - shake shack lunch, touristy brklyn bridge pics, then met, moma, guggenheim, and a stroll in central park. Then dinner at Frank's restaurant in manhattan. Dont know where to afterwards.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Friday - gf wants to see times square (i dont really care for it) and then she wants to see the 9/11 memorial. [/COLOR]We will be at momofuku ko for dinner. No idea what to do after (maybe santos party house for a show?).

Saturday - evening dinner at frankies 457 in brklyn.

And to be clear....she wants to see the outdoor 9/11 Memorial vs the 9/11 Museum, right? If she wants to see the Museum, you need to get tickets asap.
I would take her through Times Sq in the evening when it is all lit up. During the day it's not that flashy.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

And to be clear....she wants to see the outdoor 9/11 Memorial vs the 9/11 Museum, right? If she wants to see the Museum, you need to get tickets asap.
I would take her through Times Sq in the evening when it is all lit up. During the day it's not that flashy.

Yeah she wants to go the outdoors. Good call on times sq in evening. That frees up my day time a bit.

Also, how much are cabs typically? Exorbitant? Or reasonable?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That schedule is way too busy. Pick one, maybe two, museums. Like all great cities, New York is best enjoyed when you have time to explore the unexpected and soak in the vibe. Zooming from site to site isn't the right way, if you ask me.

Also, if everything you're doing is in Manhattan, why stay in Brooklyn?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

That schedule is way too busy. Pick one, maybe two, museums. Like all great cities, New York is best enjoyed when you have time to explore the unexpected and soak in the vibe. Zooming from site to site isn't the right way, if you ask me.

The reason i chose brooklyn (particularly williamsburg) was because on the saturday i will be getting tattooed pretty much all day in 2 separate shops in brooklyn. Id rather a short trek on that day and longer on the other days.

Also chose williamsburg because it is very close to manhattan and directly in between both shops. This and momofuku are basically the reasons im in nyc lol

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Was planning to go to the on by the bridge (no idea what DUMBO is).

Do you think it is too much? Should i save moma for friday?

DUMBO(Down Under the Manhattan bridge Overpass.)

It is the area where you can take some great pics of both the Manhattan & Bklyn bridges and also the NYC skyline from the Brooklyn Promenade(in Brooklyn Heights which is the next neighborhood over..literally on top of each other), Brooklyn Bridge Park or find the entrance to walk over the Bklyn Bridge back to the city(better views that way.)

Yep. I think 3 major museums in a wknd is too much.....let alone 1 day.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]That schedule is way too busy. Pick one, maybe two, museums. Like all great cities, New York is best enjoyed when you have time to explore the unexpected and soak in the vibe. Zooming from site to site isn't the right way, if you ask me.[/COLOR]

That ^^.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Burger Joint instead of Shake Shack. Show up at 11:15AM. Way too much stupid asshole hype at Shake Shack.

Check out Bergdorf Goodman (mens).

Go to Sheeps Meadow @ Central Park. Wear sunglasses so you can stare at **** and asses.

Go to ****** bars like Kettle of Fish after dinner.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Make sure you check out Time Out NY next wed to see if there is anything happening when you are here. It's a great resource.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork

They always post a wknd guide. Loads of free/not free indoor/outdoor stuff in there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah she wants to go the outdoors. Good call on times sq in evening. That frees up my day time a bit.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Also, how much are cabs typically? Exorbitant? Or reasonable?[/COLOR]

Cabs are reasonable(NY wise.) But to be honest, the subway is the way to go. Don't come to NYC and not take the subway,
It's safe/cheap/efficient and in NYC, it;s the way to go.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favorite burger place in the city is Primeburger in Midtown, at 51st between 5th and Madison. No stupid lines. No idiot hype.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

Do Burger Joint instead of Shake Shack. Show up at 11:15AM. Way too much stupid asshole hype at Shake Shack.

Check out Bergdorf Goodman (mens).

Go to Sheeps Meadow @ Central Park. Wear sunglasses so you can stare at **** and asses.

Go to ****** bars like Kettle of Fish after dinner.

Now we're talking!

All jokes aside, thanks forall your help guys. I will amend my schedule accordingly

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone that 3 museums is too many in 1 day. No way you would get to see or appreciate everything in each one. I think 2 at the most, and that's plenty.

The subway is the best form of transportation unless you're going to or coming from LGA/JFK. Cab would be the best bet there (no subways at the airports).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This week's NYmag has a feature on burgers. SS isn't worth the wait.

Once you're tattooed in Wllmsbg you may need a visa to get into Manhattan. You should check.

lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads