• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

really cheap used car?

Cavalier

Reaction score
I have had good luck with two different cars in particular used like this:

Civic, (92-97) preferably EX or 89-92 SI

XJ inline 6 Cherokee (92-97)

Obviously you want to find the cleanest, lowest mileage one with lease amount of rust.... In proper shape they are both bullet proof!

You should be able to find something nice if you have time to sort through the crap. There are a handful of others in this price range that other posters probably know better as well..

Re: Zip car--- depends if you want to live that lifestyle or if you want to live the lifestyle of someone who has a car...

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
early 90s civic or accord. will run great even at 275,000+ miles and, while not flashy, won't be embarrassing to drive as long as it's in good condition(ie no dents) and clean.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Pick up an older Infiniti or Nissan Maxima. They don't hold their value as well as Honda/Toyota but are at least as nice and reliable. The mid 90's ones can't be worth anything these days and will be a good deal more reliable than the Germans mentioned in this thread.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
early 90s civic or accord. will run great even at 275,000+ miles and, while not flashy, won't be embarrassing to drive as long as it's in good condition(ie no dents) and clean.
+1

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does it seem like all the worst drivers on the road are driving beaters?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So no one else thinks this is absurd? Getting a car because of dog training? Anyone? Beuller?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Bump. Thinking about getting a beater. I basically want something that's somewhat reliable and has decent acceleration and handling. Craigslist has a 90 Maxima, a 95 Volvo 850 turbo wagon and a 99 Contour SVT. They're all around two grand. Opinions? Suggestions?

10 years ago, the '90 maxima would've been $2000, and wouldn't have been a bad gamble. Chain-driven engines that are known to go a good distance, etc. Not worth much in the end though.
Volvo 850's can be expensive (as in a one-shot $2000 or more service if you're unlucky) if you need real maintenance on them, and have the same kind of reliability as an American FWD sedan, so you don't win anything by going imported there. Safe, though, and probably a lot more car than you would expect. Most basic luxury features, some good standard safety, okay handling and braking. (had one once)

No idea about the Contour, but it's probably not the worst car on the face of the earth, nor is it theworst modern Ford. Might be the cheapest to work on, out of the three, but if it goes kaput, you may end up paying somebody to take it.
All might need new CJ joints at some point, timing belts, maybe some transmission work if pick an unlucky one, maybe some AC work considering the age... etc.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I vote for a Maxima, if only as a sentimental choice since it was my first car. But really, a mid-late 90s Maxima drives quite well.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 99 Contour for $700. I normally try to steer clear of Ford, but it was a great deal.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^How does it drive? The one I'm looking at is an SVT. Just found out the Maxima was in a fire and is a salvage.
eh.gif
Pics look nice though. Thought about getting an old SHO for lulz, but I can't find one cheap enough to be worth it to me.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Zipcar is still your best bet.

The majority of auto premiums are based on personal liability more than the value of the car. If you're driving a Hummer and get in a collision, it'll cost them the Hummer and a bandaid. If you're in a 1993 Taurus with a rusted up frame and torn up windshield-webbing, it'll costs them six digits in medical.
Cheaper car does not necessarily equal cheaper premium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics