• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit or costume?

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noted on the tie advice. I never considered that.

I really do love the look of pleats and braces. I feel there’s a way to do it without looking dated. Maybe I’m not pulling it off correctly. I just really don’t like how slim things have gotten.
I'm with you. I think pleats, wide-leg, high-waisted pants are elegant and classic. If it's considered dated, 🤷🏽

LJ1891

Reaction score
Just do you.

DO NOT get slim, small leg opening, low rise trousers.

DO maintain the classic look you have developed. It looks VERY good.

…maybe lose the tie to “fit in” more.

Last edited:

epsilon22

Reaction score
Looks good, but agree with the others, for interviews, navy or charcoal suit with solid dark grenadine tie would be safer. Even if it looks good, you'd stick out among other interviewees wearing navy/black suits and shiny ties.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this outfit go together? Or do I look like im cosplaying the 30s. I am going for a more American classic look. I’m a 32 year old living in NYC, and someone told me I look like a used car salesman.

I don’t agree but maybe I lack some self awareness lol. FWIW, the person saying this has no fashion sense imo

I think the jacket could go better with black or navy trousers. I’ve been having trouble trying to find pants that go with a tan houndstoot
Definitely a used car salesman…A a used CLASSICAL car salesman as in Bugattis, Delages,
Dusenbergs, Bentleys, etc. Except for the "adventurous" tie, your clothing is mainstream
American. You could pass for a Nebraskan. Nothing says NYC about your clothes except for the DB, which is more sophisticated and therefore more metropolitan.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear tailoring most days and I live and work in Silicon Valley. I get lots of comments and echo @jeremygo POV. I'm comfortable in the clothes I wear. I'm not wearing it for people who don't know me well. The people who do know me well appreciate the way I dress.
Just curious, are you a Lawyer , a VC, in finance ? I live in Menlo Park and those are the
occupational categories that may still wear tailored clothing around here.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Definitely a used car salesman…A a used CLASSICAL car salesman as in Bugattis, Delages,
Dusenbergs, Bentleys, etc. Except for the "adventurous" tie, your clothing is mainstream
American. You could pass for a Nebraskan. Nothing says NYC about your clothes except for the DB, which is more sophisticated and therefore more metropolitan.
I can’t tell if the last part is an insult or not lol

Either way I’m fine with not looking like NYC. Or maybe I’m not idk. I’m currently going though an evolution with my wardrobe and your comment makes me wanna throw my whole closet out lol

I was born here so that’s good enough I guess..

But what would be your definition of an NYC style? Sharkskin suits and what not? I’m genuinely curious bc I see it all here

Last edited:

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are you a Lawyer , a VC, in finance ? I live in Menlo Park and those are the
occupational categories that may still wear tailored clothing around here.
I'm a product strategy consultant. I live in Palo Alto. I work a lot with developers, product managers, marketing, design and other folks who never wear tailored clothing. Most don't have a style of any sort.

The interesting thing is that the younger folks think my style is cool, but some of the older folks are a bit more judgmental. Either way, it doesn't really impact what I do.

strider11

Reaction score
Also a denizen of the legal world. Just a few thoughts, brother:

Overall, the outfits look appropriate and classy, somewhat vintage in the boxier looser fit, especially the trousers and pleats. But pleats have never gone out of style and always add some class. It's a rangy, classic American look.

I think the fit on the double-breasted suit is sharp, and trouser length looks fresh and modern.

Love the tan houndstooth jacket but agree a different color might bring it to life better.

In the end, set the style, don't follow anyone else. Should help you arguing territorial jurisdiction and venue.

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I cannot think of a single instance where I saw someone in a DB suit in NYC and I've lived and worked in this town for a few decades. I'm not saying don't wear it, I just have never noticed it as being a NYC thing.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
I cannot think of a single instance where I saw someone in a DB suit in NYC and I've lived and worked in this town for a few decades. I'm not saying don't wear it, I just have never noticed it as being a NYC thing.

I believe this brings up a whole new conversation. What are well dressed men wearing in NYC? I’ve always assumed that we were such a melting pot that we encompassed all styles.

Unless we’re more known for that Wall Street Gordan Gekko look. I’m not a fan of contrast collars but he did have some great outfits in that film.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I believe this brings up a whole new conversation. What are well dressed men wearing in NYC? I’ve always assumed that we were such a melting pot that we encompassed all styles.

Unless we’re more known for that Wall Street Gordan Gekko look. I’m not a fan of contrast collars but he did have some great outfits in that film.
Most guys wear a dark navy or grey solid or pinstriped suit and a white shirt without a tie. I remember senior executive finance guys really being into Hermes ties for a while pre-COVID I'm not sure that's still a thing.

I have never seen anyone with a bankers collar that I wanted to have a conversation with. That includes the current mayor.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Most guys wear a dark navy or grey solid or pinstriped suit and a white shirt without a tie. I remember senior executive finance guys really being into Hermes ties for a while pre-COVID I'm not sure that's still a thing.

I have never seen anyone with a bankers collar that I wanted to have a conversation with. That includes the current mayor.
Well that sounds boring! I don’t like the idea of wearing a suit because you have to.

And agreed on the bankers collar comment. Not a big fan of Mayor “in da club” Adams

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first off : the first fit is pretty good . clean , classic american .

i'd also say that suit vs costume is a distinction without difference imho but - since it's been brought up in these terms - i'd ask whether or not the 'classic' mode of tailoring isn't simply anachronistic at this point ? to me it is for a variety of reasons but then again why should i hold you to that ? so i say call it what you like and wear what you like but yes you're doing it well . watch the sleeve length etc

joorinainen

Reaction score
I like your outfit and there's absolutely zero "used car salesman" in your look. Nice fit overall. I would maybe go without break in the trousers. Would lighten up the appearance a bit. Of course this is a personal preference.

You need the navy/grey/charcoal suit for job interviews. Especially for a law firm.

In a general note i think people have to grow in some degree to wear a certain type of tailoring/clothing. This often is a result of ones sartorial journey and certain position in life (career, age etc). I can think of myself example that i could pull of a combo like yours and probably my surroundings would not bat an eye but if my little brother would dress the same clothes he would be instantly asked "where is this coming from".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads