• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

really cheap used car?

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
I guess the Zipcar rate varies from city to city because out here it is god-awful expensive.

Don't understand why people who want to drive beaters don't buy a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Considered it, but no. The training sessions are quite long. It would cost me $100/wk with zipcar on their best plan. Actually, gonna do some more math though. Need to figure out what insurance costs on a beater with no collision.

edit: ok wow. $2500/yr for insurance of a 1994 honda civic @ just over $200/mo with no collision? does that sound off to anyone else (never had car insurace but did have house insurance before)? Looks like zipcar IS the best option based on insurance cost if I assume a cheap car will only last me a year. And the difference otherwise is negligible. It's better from a cash flow perspective too. Zipcar it is unless someone tells me i can get much better insurance rates from a broker than the online quoting tool.

How old are you, and any accidents?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I pay $12 a month for above state min on my beater E30 BMW.... Gieco... But I live in the middle of nowhere, most people don't lock their doors here.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQgeek is going to be a huge *****magnet after getting any one of the sweet rides suggested in this threak.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
I guess the Zipcar rate varies from city to city because out here it is god-awful expensive.

Don't understand why people who want to drive beaters don't buy a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

word
I bought a 92 Corolla in 02 with 150k on it for $2k. Modded it and AutoX'd it till 2008 and sold it for $2k with 220k Miles on the clock. Other than basic maintainance I really didnt do anything major to it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man

What is super expensive? I can't imagine it is more than $10-15 an hour where you are (maybe if you only look at the few BMWs they have in their fleets)

$10 an hour is dirt cheap when you compare it to other costs. If I had a car in the city, I would pay up to $200 for parking...that is 20 hours of zip car right there. Then start adding in gas money, insurance, and car payments. could easily get to the break even at 40-60 hours point.

Of course, I personally have trouble shelling out for the zip car since I never had car expenses in my budget before I got a zipcar (actually, I use IGo cars...same thing). If I was used to paying the car expenses, it would be easy to get rid of the car, take half the money for whatever and earmark the other half of the money for guilt-free zipcar use. Put it in a separate account and rent the car whenever you want--at the end of the year, take any excess, rent a real car and go on vacation.

CHenry

Reaction score
Dodge Neon. They have the worst depreciation of any car. You should be able to get one pretty cheap that isn't too old and won't need much service either.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my friends is looking for a cheap car. If you are selling near Chicago hit me up please.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the best options that aren't Toyota or Honda? I need a cheap reliable car but I don't want to have the same car as everyone else.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bunch of people I've talked to have said the "cash for clunkers" thing took a lot of great beaters off the road.
ffffuuuu.gif

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
...Train the dog to do what? (perhaps you can train it to get itself to and from training).

...they allow dogs on public transit

...pay a friend/relative to drive you

...take a cab and let them pay the insurance, gas, parking....and do the driving you hate doing.

...don't train the dog (or do it yourself) and avoid the whole problem

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Bunch of people I've talked to have said the "cash for clunkers" thing took a lot of great beaters off the road.
ffffuuuu.gif

This is probably true, and I hate to think what kind of good older BMW's and cars like that got crushed.. there were morons taking veritable classic cars in for the $4K rebate
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads