• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rarity of gems

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are just naming gems which may be valuable, but that's not the OP's question. The answerto your question is pretty much never. Unless you're going to the source or can get a really great price from a gem dealer and get it set, there is almost absolutely no way youll ever get anywhere close to what you payed back.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
You guys are just naming gems which may be valuable, but that's not the OP's question. The answerto your question is pretty much never. Unless you're going to the source or can get a really great price from a gem dealer and get it set, there is almost absolutely no way youll ever get anywhere close to what you payed back.

You're right, just thought the OP would like another option for gems. But here is a very slim chance you will get the original value back.

Originally Posted by SField
I thought Diamonds are the most expensive gem?

Colombian emeralds are said to be more expensive than diamonds.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
That is one of the most thoughtful things I have ever heard of.

thanks, I try.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Anyone ever try selling a "secondhand" diamond and seeing how much they get for it versus how much they paid for it? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I gave a buddy my whole "diamonds are valueless and ubiquitous" speech before he bought his ex an engagement ring. I think he spent around $1,500 and had it appraised at $3,000. Now that he's left her (she was crazy), he's been trying to sell it. The best offer he's received is $500.

If that's not a scam industry, I don't know what is.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how is it a scam industry? go buy a car, drive it off the lot and try to sell it back.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about colored gems?

My dad has contacts from back when he worked in South Africa where I know I could probably get some very rare diamond, do those at least hold some of their value?

Maybe I'm asking really stupid questions here, sorry.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
coloured diamonds are a different story. but again, youd have to go to the source to really get a deal.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about colored gems?

My dad has contacts from back when he worked in South Africa where I know I could probably get some very rare diamond, do those at least hold some of their value?

If you are buying this as a gift for your soon to be wife, why do you care about investment value? It will never be sold. If it has another life, it will probably be given to a son or daughter with the same purpose, so all you should really be asking is "will diamonds ever go out of style"? Odds are, no.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about colored gems?

I don't know very much about diamonds. I do know that everybody I know (read, jews) buy the stone from a wholesaler and then get the stone set. if you have any type of contacts, you should be able to do better than just going into a store. but I might be wrong about that.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I don't know very much about diamonds. I do know that everybody I know (read, jews) buy the stone from a wholesaler and then get the stone set. if you have any type of contacts, you should be able to do better than just going into a store. but I might be wrong about that.

this is pretty much the best way. make sure its a trust worthy dealer because if a sketchy dealer picks up that you dont know ****, which they will, they ******** you over just as hard as the jewellery store. so find a good diamond dealer, go to a casting house, find a casting which you like, find a stone you like, and then go to a good setter.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score