1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Fromjapan

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

don't go for the cheap skinny mirror. i had that in college, and it blew majorly. they're more likely to have that fun-house effect that who was describing. have you checked craigslist? or, if you have an ikea nearby, try that. their mirrors fall around the double digits.

also, even more important than the mirror is lighting. if the lighting in your room is poor, the mirror won't make much of a difference. something to keep in mind

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

There were dip-dyed sweaters before Geller even thought to make one and compare it to German Expressionism.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Achilles was the first man to wear a dip dye sweater

3 people like this.
  6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

No, Jack from Dawson's Creek!

7. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

It used to be that if you saw someone walking down the street with weirdo clothes on or a weirdo haircut, people would point and gawk and that person would know that being different is wrong. Then as long as they were confined to places where weirdos and dregs were the norm, like reading a paper on the bus in a bunny suit, no one batted an eye because normal people didn't go on the bus anyway, so it was no big deal. Now if someone behind you in line at the Fast Food Establishment[​IMG] was speaking a made up language to the adolescent sloth clinging to their chest, you wouldn't even be silently begging for them not to make eye contact with you because apparently sloths are en vogue on the internet right now.

But there has to be some limit, right? It's nice that we're a very progressive society and accepting of a broad spectrum of quirkiness, autism and otherwise borderline psychotic behavior because we realize that what someone else does really doesn't affect us all that much, so you can go do your silly thing and I'll go do my equally silly thing and everyone's lives will go on. Still, I think there has to be some upper limit. Some point where we see someone taking their goldfish for a walk with a remote-controlled all-terrain fishbowl and, for the good of everyone near you, you should feel compelled to walk up to them and say "no, this is too much. you have to go home right now and figure this shit out".

8. DLester

DLester Senior member

that would be awesome, where 2 kop remote-controlled all-terrain fishbowl?

1 person likes this.
  9. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Must be nice having Geller as a neighbor

10. max_r

max_r Senior member

this is something i've been wondering for a while as my mirror is too narrow, too short and in an awkward place in the hallway, so I want to get a new, bigger one.

I figure cheap mirrors are probably made cheaply, and thus probably aren't completely flat and will distort what I actually look like. Is there anything specific you guys think I should look for in a mirror, or is my best bet just to go to ikea or some other big box store, and just buy the one I like the size of?

I'm not looking to drop $1,000 on some Carl Zeiss[​IMG] designed anti-double-reflective mirror or something, I just want something decent that is affordable.

11. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

So I just found out that the heater that's hooked up to my apartment is essentially shot, and it's been pumping carbon monoxide into the place probably since we first turned it on in the fall. The repairman who looked at it today shut it down because it's essentially inoperable, which means that we don't have heat until Monday when he comes back to put in a new system.

Fashion-related because I'm going to be doing a lot of layering. :confused:

12. skintight

skintight Senior member

re: mirrors
    I got one at Ikea a few years back for about $120. It's about 5ft x 2.5ft and included attachment things to hang it from the wall, idk what they're called.

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of their home, much like smoke detectors should be in every room.

2 people like this.
  14. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

more importantly, it's good to know you're safe

5 people like this.
  15. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Sounds like something where you go, "it'll never happen to me", but it can and should definitely be installed them. You can buy them anywhere (amazon, costco) and you just plug it in--easy.

Someone I know woke up in the middle of the night feeling queazy and found his children passed out on the floor in their various rooms. He was foggy but he realized something was wrong and got everyone out immediately. Turned out, an animal crawled and died in the heat vent and clogged everything up. It was a miracle they all didn't die in their sleep.

It's good that your still alive, but come on man, it ain't that cold right now. I didn't get heat until mid January cause my landlord is a scumbag.

17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

This is exactly why we have the detectors... just weird shit happening.

18. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

my house doesn't even have smoke detectors. old tenants broke them so they could hot box the place :embar:

19. max_r

max_r Senior member

back in university we pulled the fire detectors out of the kitchen/living room because one of our roommates would always set them off while cooking. Then most of the room ones since we didn't have 9 volt batteries and they kept beeping at us. I don't recall having carbon monoxide detectors.

hashtag something about living dangerously

20. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

One time I lit my giant Diptyque candle, then proceeded to head to school, locking my door in the process. 8 hours later I come home at all the fire alarms are on full blast, so I freak and sprint to my room, open my door and that candle was fucking roaring, flame like a foot high and so much smoke. Thank god it didn't catch anything on fire hahaha

I'm an idiot.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.