• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landau

Reaction score

going to be in times square in a few weeks, good restaurant recommendations?

What are you looking to spend?

Rule of thumb, don't actually go to any resteraunts in Times Square proper. They are all tourist traps that sell you overpriced cheese cake or t shirts as if you couldn't get them elsewhere. There's even a bubba gump in Times Square, because there is nothing as NYC as good ole bubba.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Of course they can (though it's a little odd ascribing quintessential Britishness to a subculture that named itself in French, for good reason), but that doesn't mean that that's what happened in this case, and given the prevalence of "Africa is a country" thinking, it's reasonable to point out when someone's using terminology appropriate to one region in describing something about another.

Who is calling Africa a country? We are living in the 2100 century and everyone has access to socialmedia and the internet, so its very much unlikely for popular fashion/culture not to spread. Especially with the growing amount of people in place like Nigeria with disposable income.

Congo is a former Belgian colony, which explains the choice of language, but dandyism started and is still for more popular in Britain. If you want to call it afro-dandy or ... it doesn't change the fact the style is growing in popularity across the continent and in Europe etc.

On another note and speaking of sapeurs, has anyone seen the show States of Undress?

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/states-of-undress

I just watched the first two episodes on Pakistan and Congo. It was much better/different than I expected. Basically covers fashion weeks around the world but with a cultural / social commentary angle. 

CNN has done the same although they also covered start up culture. Which only made it better.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/23/fashion/fashion-cities-africa/

gong

Reaction score
im aware times square is a tourist trap, it's for the lady. i was considering aureole?

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Tokyo dudes @nicelynice @magicalporks @Auximenes etc around and up for grabbing coffee/ beer at the weekend with a stylefarmer then PM me.

Spent the day wandering round Aoyama and Harajuku checking out Comme, Yohji, Lad etc. The Nezu museum was really nice too.

Last edited:

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Times Square is actually pretty nice on dead winter nights. In a kind of eerie walking-through-an-abandoned-amusement-park way.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Who is calling Africa a country? We are living in the 2100 century and everyone has access to socialmedia and the internet, so its very much unlikely for popular fashion/culture not to spread. Especially with the growing amount of people in place like Nigeria with disposable income.

Congo is a former Belgian colony, which explains the choice of language, but dandyism started and is still for more popular in Britain. If you want to call it afro-dandy or ... it doesn't change the fact the style is growing in popularity across the continent and in Europe etc.

No, Nigeria has very little in common with Congo when it comes to culture and sapeur is a specific thing with its own geographical and sociolinguistic center. Other french speaking countries might know of it or have some equivalent even though they're not near the two Congos but that is not the case with the Anglo-Saxon world. Once again you might have Italian food in legoland but I very much doubt we could say you've adopted a lot of Italian cultural practices.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stopped in on my friend Robert Geller to see if he's still telling people he's not that Robert Geller on Twitter. Was happy to see him being trolled by NMWA

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I "weatherproof" my suede 5 zip with some kind of spray protectant? Does that even do anything?

Don't want to have to baby it, but don't want to have to pull a Seinfeld either.

inside-out-jacket.jpg

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh great, one of those fuckboys dressed up as a creepy clown, made a death threat to a high school nearby.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Should I "weatherproof" my suede 5 zip with some kind of spray protectant? Does that even do anything? 

Don't want to have to baby it, but don't want to have to pull a Seinfeld either.

inside-out-jacket.jpg

I haven't sprayed a protectant on my suede five-zip, but I sprayed another suede jacket. I don't know if I would ever wear these out in the rain, tbh, but I think the protectant helps keep stains away (maybe from a spill or something).

FWIW, I spoke to a cleaning expert who said spraying these things at home can be dangerous, since a glob of that stuff can spit out and stain the jacket. Prob best to heed that person's advice, but since I haven't had any issues spraying suede shoes in the past, I took a chance on my jacket (and it turned out fine). The alternative would be to give the jacket to a professional, who would apply a protectant, but that's usually best done after a cleaning job (as I understand it). I was a little wary of getting dirt stains and whatnot on my suede jacket before the first big cleaning job, so I took my chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads