1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

It's just a giant shawl, but it does flap nicely when I ride my bicycle in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  2. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Why do packages from Royal Mail take flippin' forever? I get nervous waiting for these Grailed / eBay purchases without really good tracking

1 person likes this.
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Guys think we are going to have a cold April? Weather is stupid warm right now and all the flowers / trees seem to think it's spring.

4. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Well-Known Member

looking to build a casual summer "suit"/uniform

really love this look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unfortunately the qlomaire jacket is from ss16 and no longer available but I'd love to find something similar with big patch pockets (there's a current uniqlo u iteration but it's a bit different). seersucker or linen would be ideal. black preferably.

any brand recommendations? i've looked at a few japanese brands and feel like i'm in the ballpark but unfortunately with some of them the measurements don't work out because of the shorter lengths/sleeves.

any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

this isn't at all what you're asking for, but have you considered Teatora? it's all I wear to work in the summer - the "packable" series is really light and breathable and has cool pockets so you don't need carry a bag. It's technical nylon, not seersucker or linen, but much more suited to daily "uniform" use as it's a lot more durable

[​IMG]

work fit from me:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    5 people like this.
  6. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Well-Known Member

i've seen the name before in my rakuten/yahoo searches but have yet to really check it out, thanks for the tip @nicelynice

7. Coldsnap

What brands new/second hand would you guys suggest me to look at if I want to stay within this very limited budget on items? I tend to dress minimal and have an athletic cut. Asking before my whole wardrobe ends up Uniqlo for a bit.. Would like to have mostly comfortable stuff, so I'm draw to things with stretch like Uniqlo and W+H.

Outerwear - $40-70 (Uniqlo, Steven Alan sale, Ervell used, Patagonia)
    Button Downs $20-30 (Steven Alan second hand)
    T-Shirt $10-$15 (Uniqlo)
    Jeans $30-50 (LL Bean, Levis, Dickies, Patagonia)

(Grad school expensive)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

It may be more of a hunt than you're looking for, but setting up eBay alerts for brands you like that are usually outside of that price point might be worth it. Making offers too can work, especially for things that haven't sold for a while.

2 people like this.
  9. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find information on Uma Wang sizing, does anyone have experience with the brand?

10. John L

John L Well-Known Member

Thrift stores, grailed, B&S, and an unbelievable amount of patience.

Good tailor communication skills.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Outerwear: Jump the Gun in the UK; Fred Perry Harringtons on eBay; Barbour Liddesdale on eBay; LL Bean Trail model rain jacket; J. Crew either on deep sale or eBay; LL Bean Signature on eBay; military surplus outerwear (M-65, M-43, and M-51); vintage peacoat in thrift stores or eBay; LC King chore coats on sale or eBay; vintage French chore coats on eBay or Etsy; Levis sherpa trucker jackets (or their regular trucker jackets); and Peter Storm packable cagoules (mainline, not the made-in-UK version).

Button Downs: Assuming you mean button up shirts (not just button down collars), almost any brand you want on eBay if you're up for second hand. Ralph Lauren, TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, etc. Just depends on the exact style and fit you're after (hard to make blanket recommendations on button up shirts). If you want something new, not second hand, try Land's End tailored fit, Thin Red Line in the UK, and Uniqlo. Also J. Crew on deep sale.

T-Shirts: Hanes Beefy Tees; J. Crew on sale. A site I work for, Put This On, also sells $10 white tees from Alternative Apparel every summer (they retail for $25).

Jeans: Gustin, Gap's selvedge jeans, Dickies slim straights, Levis, Uniqlo stretch denim; The Unbranded Brand (formerly Unbranded Denim); J. Crew

A lot of this is on the upper end of your budget, and some of it will require spending 25% more, but it's pretty close.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    9 people like this.
  12. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Fuck all you dog owners in the Tribeca area, or anywhere really, who don't pick up after your dog takes a shit. It's like playing the floor is lava, only you actually run the risk of messing up your shoes and trousers.

1 person likes this.
  13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I saw this in my neighborhood once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. John L

John L Well-Known Member

15. Coldsnap

Awesome, thank you. Especially appreciate the specif item recommendations. I sold my suede TOJ harrington to put into college savings and I miss having a harrington, so I'll checkout Jump the Gun and Fred Perry. I bought a Jump the Gun oxford like 6 years ago, forgot all about that store since I am in the US.

1 person likes this.
  16. oulipien

oulipien Well-Known Member

17. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

where does one buy a cheap but halfway decent blank dad cap?

18. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Patience is the key - I've seen new old stock Oliver Spencer and Garbstore pieces sell on ebay for within your budget.

2 people like this.
  19. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

O winter, where art thou? I have new winter coats to wear

1 person likes this.
  20. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member