• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:inlove:

I suppose SLP or Eidos or Leder might be other options.

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just so happened to have one of my old Modern Amusement jackets handy and umm, well:

I remember the line as being a totally innocuous, Southern California-inspired casualwear label though, no? It was like the most generic clothing ever.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember the line as being a totally innocuous, Southern California-inspired casualwear label though, no? It was like the most generic clothing ever.

Eh, it certainly is now (amazingly it still exists). But at least back when this article was written they used a lot of pastels and garish patterns.

Last edited:

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i guess there is a lot to take in consideration. There's really nothing I can find in terms of what I'm looking for on the market, so I was thinking about trying to have one made from scratch, which I guess would be a custom last (?), unless last is just referring to the foot shape in which case I guess any workwear boot last would work. Budget wise I'd pay up to $500 if I was confident they could have a fair go of making what I want, even if quality wasn't amazing.
The last is the shape yeah, I don't know of any bespoke boot makers but there are plenty of custom makers. I would check out reddit's goodyearwelt subreddit to get recommendations. I know White's and I think Truman Boot Co both do custom orders. Those are the only I remember off the top of my head.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah i guess there is a lot to take in consideration. There's really nothing I can find in terms of what I'm looking for on the market, so I was thinking about trying to have one made from scratch, which I guess would be a custom last (?), unless last is just referring to the foot shape in which case I guess any workwear boot last would work. Budget wise I'd pay up to $500 if I was confident they could have a fair go of making what I want, even if quality wasn't amazing.

Just curious what you're looking for in a workboot you can't find on the existing market?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a workboot that's just the kind of shape that would work best. Basically I want some kind of field boot/combat boot with grosgrain straps/cinches instead of lacing.
I've been trying to find some surplus boots with a decent shape and DIY it, but they are all way to bulky and I never realised how hard it was to find a plain toe surplus boot with suede (best I can find is nubuck).
If I could find some CP combat boots or Vis 7-holes for dirt cheap I would use those and hack them up to at least have a prototype/sample.

EDIT: If there's another group MTO for Viberg maybe I can do a mock up?

Last edited:

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Dayton will do custom/bespoke too.

edit: maybe not quite to that level, but you never know.

Last edited:

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last is the shape yeah, I don't know of any bespoke boot makers but there are plenty of custom makers. I would check out reddit's goodyearwelt subreddit to get recommendations. I know White's and I think Truman Boot Co both do custom orders. Those are the only I remember off the top of my head.
Isn't there a bespoke boot maker who posts on this very forum? Not that I can remember his name.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it Ron Rider?

I think he's talking about David Frommer, who goes by DWF on this forum. He makes bespoke shoes, and is willing to do remote fittings, but his prices are a lot higher than $500/ pair.

Ron Rider does RTW shoes, made in Italy.

OV, I think you're probably best with a DIY project. For $500, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's willing to do a custom pattern and use good leathers/ quality construction. $500 is already a good deal if you can do a MTO, nevermind a totally new design.

There's also this guy. Young, self-trained shoemaker. I don't know much about the quality of his work, but he's just starting. Prices are a bit higher than what you've budgeted, but maybe you can negotiate something if he's up for a challenge.

http://www.raphaelherrera.com/

He specializes in traditional dress styles, but again, maybe you can work something out.

Last edited:

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever occulta is describing sounds like black (suede) engineer boots though. Should be possible to find..?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not as round and tall as engineer boots. The idea came from a picture of a paratrooper that used his chute straps to tie his boots on because the laces rotted. They were just wrapped around the shaft a handful of times and tied off, and then another one tied around the foot, wrapping between the heel and forefoot, straps hanging all over the place and it just looked cool as ****. I can't even find the picture anymore and when I try and google it I can't find anything. All of the paratrooper boots I see are like riding boots, this guys were like a nylon canvas or something so there was shape in the toes but the rest was very unstructured.
Anyway I agree that DIY would be the logical, and easiest, route. But it would be cool to have one done for real. Thanks for all the tips.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For something like that, it seems like you'd want someone who can do more casual styles. Maybe even some kind of finishing (pre-distressing, washing, etc).

Maybe someone like this guy, but at a more affordable price

https://andrewmcdonald.com.au/

He does custom shoes in a casual, semi-Guidi sort of style.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics