1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

So now the entire GOP party is fascist? Because they've hitched their wagon to Trump?

Is that really something you believe? The entire Republican party is fascistic? Or can even can be compared to fascistic parties?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. YoungM

YoungM Senior member

I don't think the entire GOP is fascist, but I do think there is a fascistic wing of the party that is now in many positions of leadership (including the President, most likely). Significant portions of the rest of the party will blithely accept things the fascist wing suggests (even if the normal conservative doesn't particularly agree) because in return the fascist wing will give conservatives what they want in arenas like social and economic policy.

As I understand 20th century fascism, actual fascists didn't need true majorities to take control of a country. They usually managed with a coalition of "normal" Conservatives (like the Catholic Church in Spain) who saw an opportunity to settle grudges and get the things they wanted.

On a fairly different note, I think it's wrongheaded for the left to obsess over perfect argumentation and perfectly fair characterization. I don't know Manton - I stay out of CE to preserve SF as an area of general calm - but it seems he's hitched his wagon to a man who has repeatedly legitimized Alex Jones. The game has changed.

3. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

[​IMG]

what the world needs to fix america's problems.

best korea intervention :foo:

2 people like this.
  4. dieworkwear

I think illiberal is a much better term for Trump. Fascist is a very specific thing. All fascists are illiberal, but not all illiberal people are fascists.

A lot of people have hitched their wagon to Trump, while ignoring his illiberal tendencies. That includes people in the business sector (who are neither fascists nor illiberals). I wish that wasn't the case, but it's also wrong to label those people things they're not. Or use terms like fascists so blithely.

In Manton's case, the crypto-fascist narrative is just a way to shut down the conversation, rather than have a real discussion about important policies.

That Intercept article cited how Manton believes higher levels of diversity -- absent a larger national or religious identity -- leads to less civic service (and, consequently, more government "intrusion."). Not sure that should even be controversial. It's absolutely true (see any piece of literature on social capital, or Robert Putnam's book Bowling Alone). Whether that means we should go for the kind of policies he's advocating is a separate issue, but his belief in that simple fact shouldn't lead us to believe that he's advocating for a white nationalist state anymore than we should believe Putnam is a white nationalist.

1 person likes this.
  5. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

So … what is it you think authoritarianism is?

Like, if I said "ok, forget about 'fascism', but allegiance to authoritarian, xenophobic nationalist leader—one who constantly disparages the press and puts himself forth as the arbiter of truth, is insistent on loyalty to his person rather than to his office (as in the recent firing of the Acting AG), who attempts to undermine the legitimacy of votes for his opponent, etc.—is still pretty bad!", would you say "yep, and that's the modern Republican party in a nutshell, but they aren't fascists"?

I'll totally take that!

(The fact that the said leader has straight up undeniable real actual fascists in his inner circle does seem salient, but you might deny that anyone in his circle is a fascist, so whatever!)

And if you really want to know, my low opinion of the Republican elite doesn't date to their craven embrace of Trump. It was already pretty bad in (to take a random example) 2009, when they pitched a hissy fit like you wouldn't believe over the release of a report noting that domestic terrorism from right-wing extremists was far more dangerous than foreign terrorism, effectively quashing it and any followup. It doesn't matter to me whether they pitched the fit out of uncaring cynicism in order to inflame their base (more likely, in my view) or for any other reason; that's playing with fire and they were more than happy to do so. The Rs have been a party of extremists for a long long time, only (a) it's not polite to point that out, and in American political discourse, politeness is about 90% of what matters, and (b) since they're one of two political parties with any power, whatever position they adopt, no matter how batshit crazy, is treated as presumptively legitimate. And as "conservative"!

6. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

Ehhhh by their fruits shall you know them. You can have all the mental reservations about supporting Trump you like, but Trump's still the guy you supported, and someone who professes personally to be not illiberal but didn't mind supporting him because of some perceived other benefits counts as illiberal enough in my book.

Quote: You still haven't said what you think a fascist is! You seem to have a very definite idea about its correct application and I would genuinely like to know what it is.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Perhaps I was not being sufficiently clear.

I don't appreciate members throwing slurs at other members, and a reasonable reading your posts is that you mean the term "fascist" to be just that. So thje burden is on you to show to me that you are not in fact doing that.

Frankly, I'm not sure why all of you just don't take this immediately to CE, where it clearly belongs.

In actual random fashion thoughts - I got some waxed linen thread and leather scraps to reinforce a leather bag. Unfortunately, I'd misplaced my thimble, So either I have to wait for one, or my thumb is going to hurt like a mother pushing needles through leather.

1 person likes this.
  8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I just bought some LL Bean jeans and cords because everything contemporary has such a short front rise now. And everything that is long rise/reproduction cut has a giant leg opening.

9. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I liked the conversation where we talked about how we piss better

3/10 would not read again

4 people like this.
  10. dieworkwear

2 people like this.
  11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And that's probably after spending a couple hours digging.

People go through dozens of thousands of pages of Wikileaks to find stories; they can surely go through a couple hundred pages of posts, to come up with a much more interesting story than the nuclear bunker.

3 people like this.
  12. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I'm finna turn this place up with discussions about Evangelion if we gon keep debating about the semantics of fascism

4 people like this.
  13. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

word, let's turn the page please

14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I bought an evangelion unit-01 Lego (er, nanoblock), who wants to come over and build it???

4 people like this.
  15. double00

double00 Senior member

Im sure you can fashion a thimble from a band aid and a dime

16. the shah

the shah Senior member

Racial bias may just be incidental, a consequence of hyper-nationalism. In my interactions with him I came to believe he really thinks "America is facing an existential threat from moral degradation of its core traditional values and from the detrimental cultural and economic effects of unrestricted immigration" and that he did have irrational fears--for example an Iranian nuclear attack. The next few sentences in the Yahoo article are laughable, and born from the same place whence came his claims that The Shah is in fact an islamo-fascist seeking to impose sharia law on the US (starting with SF, of course...)

And if you do read the rest of the article (I never bothered to read the first one) it does come across as that of a hyper-nationalist, in effect an ideologue impervious to change or dogmatic, in other words, who believes "the good is higher than and supercedes the law" stemming from "fixed human nature and moral order." And guess who defines this higher good and fixed human nature in the context of preserving a society facing existential threats? Why the very nationalist who is belabored by these fears. Causa sui, or the rape of logic.

Also this is very a propos

3 people like this.
  17. dieworkwear

Imagine how much dirt journalists could dig up if Mr. Moo was appointed to the NSC.

6 people like this.
  18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That photo in shorts. Fake news!!

16 people like this.
  19. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

As long as nobody finds that post where I make a case for eating sandwiches over the sink I think I'm in the clear

15 people like this.
  20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

3 people like this.