1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. poilu

poilu Well-Known Member

yooo, been off his forum for way too long. Will try to get some more fits posted. In the meantime, can anyone help id this scarf or recommend something like it. This colour scheme is pretty important, thanks ahead of time.
    [​IMG]

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Some designer friend told me "asians" when we had this discussion. I'm assuming he means it is a Red China(tm) plot to skimp on fabric but maybe he meant the new cuts are more flattering...

3. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

I thought for sure Drake's made something like this or similar (Mughal prints) but can't see it on their website.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Seems like Faleiro Sarti would have something like that too.

5. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I like what's available on Grailed but I'm so fucking tired of the low-ball offers I get on a near daily basis from guys who barely take the time to send me messages that make sense. It's happened a few times where some kid (presumably) has send me an offer, I accept, and then he just ignores it completely because he's found something else. I like that eBay commits you do buy something after an offer is received.

6. IJReilly

IJReilly Well-Known Member

You are correct. I know this because I think about buying one every season but then I remember that I am Swedish and we don't wear patterns, colors or accessories.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

8. oulipien

oulipien Well-Known Member

dunno what's worse: getting offers that go nowhere or having stuff sit there with lots of people who supposedly want it and no offers at all.

(Actually, the first must be worse.)

9. LA Guy

imo, unless you are really willing to wait, and you feel that the right buyer will come for your rare piece, I think that it's better, in general, to just send your stuff to Luxeswap or some other luxury consignor, who will get you a better aggregate price. You'll get less per item, but you also won't be sitting on a closet of stuff that is not getting any more valuable.

10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

This is probably true. I don't really know how LuxeSwap works from the seller's end but I have a few pieces that I'd probably rather just get rid of and take what I can than continue to shuffle it around and not wear it (ie. S&C cardigan)

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Or just list it on eBay with a penny starting price. IMO, too many people list things with high prices. Let that stuff ride and have it land where it may. All you need is two semi-reasonable buyers to not ship a $1000 jacket out for 25 cents. You prob won't get a lot out of it still, but at least it'll be done.

2 people like this.
  12. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Well-Known Member

Last time I did this I ended up selling a pair of NIB CP Achilles in white for $200. I had something like 5 bidders, too, so I was really surprised it went for so low.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I actually think $200 is a fair price. People are buying them now new and unused for $250 during sale season, and the guys hunting sales pages are probably the same ones sniping eBay auctions.

1 person likes this.
  14. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Well-Known Member

Not really saying $200 is unfair (I think I basically lost the shipping cost I had originally paid, plus the selling fee), but I certainly could've gotten a higher price if I'd used a different selling strategy.

15. LA Guy

I think that you could have gotten a higher price, but would have had to do a lot of extra work, and waited a lot longer, perhaps indefinitely. If you value your time very cheaply or not at all, then maybe you could have gotten, what? 25% more? 30% more? If you value your time at a very reasonable rate of $20/h, you would have been losing money at just an additional 3 hours of work - that includes dealing with lowballers, tons of questions, having the relist the item on Ebay (and that costs money, iirc), whatever. Some people value their time much higher than that, but this is assuming that there was no opportunity time cost, and you would have been sitting around watching netflix or whatever anyway, and I'm assigning a low value to that time.

Ebay is usually good. I think that consignors do offer a valuable service, since they have alternative marketing routes, including places like their dedicated threads on forums like this, and they do all the presentation, both of which can bring significantly higher bids as well as saving you time.

16. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Consignment is the way to go, especially if you have a lot to unload. Yes you share the profits but they take better pics, take measurements, deal with all the hassles, ship, and get a higher final price than you would on your own. Just send a box of stuff to the consignor and wait for a check.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Cosignors take like 30%+ though.. (can you even guarantee a minimum price you'll get back?)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  18. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

19. what constitutes ridiculous at pitti 2017?

20. LA Guy

They are not going to work for free.

It's a way to get rid of old stuff. Clothing is not an investment. There are very specific things that can increase in value, but the vast majority of used or even new by deadstock clothing is worth a small fraction of it's original price. A lot of people harbor the inaccurate notion that their collections hold value well.

2 people like this.