1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

rip carpe diem and y!jp -> grailed flippers

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I feel as though i'm waking past the ridiculous more this year. As in, not paying it any attention - or even looking on it with a kind of...pity. Frankly, this may be the best-dressed crowd I can remember seeing. Are there people and clothes who don't look great? Of course. But no one seems to be paying them any mind.

1 person likes this.
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Grailed flippers are the world's worst businessmen.

Selling on the secondary market or discount is a volume business. Retail is already a low margin busiess. Your margins as secondary market seller or discounter is even lower It takes a disciplined organization to make any money at all. I realize that grailed flippers are typically just opportunistic kids, but they also risk their reputation in a closed community for pennies that may not even materialize.

6 people like this.
  4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Anyone ever thought of working as a sales associate at a local store that stocks stuff you dig? I'm going to grad school later this year and need a bit of side cash. I could make a lot more doing side contract work in my field, but at the same time working 80 hours a week in the same field seems sorta boring.

5. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

OK here's the thing: I'm trying to buy some shit from a UK store, right? Like I'm ready to pay. The only thing holding me back is that they don't clarify what the listed size is on their website, UK or US. I'm trying to buy a pair of US made boots, but their size just says 10 or 11. So I email them asking them if they can confirm whether or not it's UK size displayed or US size displayed. Nothing.

So I message them on Facebook. The dude literally just ignores my question. I ask him again. He ignores it again, and gives me fucking sizing advice "you will need a 9uk. I will check in the store for you."

A day later, nothing.

I'm trying to fucking buy things from you please

6. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

also, burnout, maybe.

working retail on the side might also lead to burnout, though.

7. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Also anyone have experience with Feit boots? I'm looking at maybe picking up the chelseas in the future because they're chunky and ugly. Any weird sizing thing or is it generally TTS? How's the brand in general? I've done a bit of research but it's just the same marketing bullshit every $700 footwear brand does.

1 person likes this.
  8. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Senior member

1 person likes this.
  9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yes, haha retail is draining. Though this certain place sees low low low traffic.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you are in grad school, my advice is to do lots of cool things, really apply yourself to your research when you are actually doing it, and try to leave work at work.

ime, and I've been through one of the tougher grad schools in the world, plus advised graduate students, the thing that leads to burnout is not shorter periods of intense work, it's the gnawing, grinding, slow stress. The most successsful students that I knew, applied themselves, intensely, for pretty regular workdays, and then left work at home. There is a tendency to think about work all the time, and that wears on students. I dealt with this by... all sorts of hobbies. MMA, marathons, girls, fashion. and running a napster server that got the university legal counsel paying us a visit. And even so, I was not the greatest PhD student of all time, because it was hard for me to apply myself at work, or shake off thinking about work outside of work.

1 person likes this.
  11. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

this is how my four year old totally worn and scratched Indy boots sold for 380 dollars to a Korean collector

12. milosh

milosh Senior member

Anyone make RTW boots like this? Saw them on the Scheer website as their bespoke examples. Minus 15 temps these days made me interested in a lined boot like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

I know Meermin has done several shearling lined boots but not sure lf they are part of their collection or they were MTOs. Their boots will be dressier too, but with good quality/price ratio.

14. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior member

Random fashion thought ™ - Guess I've been living in a bit of a clothes bubble, only really going to stores that stock the brands I like/only looking at stuff online that interests me, or that I want to find out more about. Went shopping with my gf at the weekend to typical UK high-street stores (Topshop, H&M, River Island, etc.) and holy shit I didn't realise the extent of the 90's thing going on at the moment. I know that there's the whole nostalgia goes in 20 year cycles thing, but jeez like everything was harking back to that decade/start of rave culture. So much faux fur and metallic, and then all that mixed in with a load of Gucci-influenced embroidery

15. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Just curious

Does anyone know what's the difference between converse addict and the 1970s? Just the sole?

16. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

[​IMG]

So since trying this on and realising it is essentially fucking perfect except the "52" was too small, I'm basically fixated on finding something similar. It's totally worth the $1500 or whatever it is.
    I've always liked the APC x Lewis ferris jackets in the tan suede but I don't really like the fit of APC bombers at all so I never bought one (I might if there was a good price though).
    What are my other options for this kind of thing (I don't want MTO with Falcon or anything unless it's through DBF for this exact jacket in my size).
    It seems like this should be a pretty easy silhouette to find in a tan suede but nothing seems current (I've seen older Margiela jackets that are cool in this vein), or is too expensive (a couple of Italian, Mr Porter-style designers), or is a Japanese label with sizing that would never fit me.

17. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Steven Alan has a great one, I liked it better than the APC one. Not sure what season it is, but might be worth keeping an eye out:

https://ebay.com/listings/421430

18. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Yeah I remember that one. There was an XL on Grailed at the end of that season for cheap but I was too poor at the time.

19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea the Steven Alan one was great

20. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

There's actually only one dedicated flipper and it's been somewhat stifled.