• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know you can own more than one pair of shoes right?
Oh, I had both. I just never wore any of my GATs. The only pair I really liked were the paper covered ones, and to a lesser extent, the light blue color of a few spring seasons ago.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Damir Doma, once the ghengis khan of fashion, marauding across cultures of continental Asia, appropriating as his namesake conquered...he became consumed by the idea of haute-luxe, much as khan envisioned an empire without borders. But the horsemen were too few to guard their ever expanding territory, and Damir's reach was too short to break into the closets of the clueless nouveau riche or commingle with the marques exclusives of old money.

But behold this linen coat. While the outfit as a whole is awful, this signals to me there is yet a glimmer of hope. Damir must break the chains of irrational aspirations, forced dreams of emulating that which he is not. Damir needs help. He needs to travel to the Himalayas. He needs to visit temples in Tibet, to meditate, and rekindle the spirit of genghis khan, and revive the embers of his nomadic visions. He can then be the comeback kid, return to France and destroy every designer out there, make the most insane collections, and then disappear like a ghost forever.

At least I can dream.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I really want to go full trousers and no more denim (not that I have many anyways). The feel of virgin wool.....cant beat it

akjc

Reaction score
I'm sure a few on here remembered those leather sweat pants that made huge waves a few years back made by En Noir. Like them or not, this was a very interesting piece by Complex about where they've been and their downfall of getting caught up in their own hype http://ca.complex.com/style/2016/04/en-noir-fade-to-black

Turns out John Elliott and the designer at En Noir were actually friends.

Last edited:

il_colonnello

Reaction score

I really want to go full trousers and no more denim (not that I have many anyways). The feel of virgin wool.....cant beat it

No doubt, totally with you on that. Unfortunately for some purposes it just isn't practical not to able to wash your trousers yourself.

il_colonnello

Reaction score

This article and the ensuing discussion is funny but let's parse what you're supposed to get out of it (Fuumawisdom edition-tm):

• Even women in fashion tend to apply relatively mainstream criterias about gender roles when it comes to dressing (or so they say). Cause they know the topic they'll have developped a style taxonomy and a list of precise exclusions.
  • Make no mistake, they see normal (badly dressed) dude and they're not into it either.
  • A certain surface coherence between how you present yourself (lifestyle) and how you dress is appreciated, no one likes a poseur even though authenticity is an absurd concept.
  • No one here gives a damn because we're clothing enthousiasts. With that being said people tend to react positively when you have passions and present them in a compelling way.
  • Girls I know have made a list of what I and other guys are not supposed to wear, even busy people tend to free time when it is to be spent bitching.
  • LAGuy dresses like an asian cowboy on a kid's scooter and his wive forgives him, he should def stop for some flowers today and maybe the day after.:hide:
  • Nothing in that list makes much sense, you shouldn't trust people on the internutz

What I take away from that interview is that women tend to be ok with individual items from just about any of those styles, provided they are toned down by an otherwise more neutral/less conspicuous outfit, so you don't look like wearing "fashion with a capital F". Isn't that their general reaction to just about any of those looks? "Yeah it's fine if you take a piece or two from this, just not head-to-toe please."

My own assumption about the underlying reason for that is that women are still not comfortable with the idea of (straight) men putting as much thought, and effort, into how they dress, as women. Which might explain why they seem to be more critical of full-on goth ninja than, say, "rocker" or "athleisure" - because that style just looks more patently studied and intentional to them (even though in reality probably none of those looks is any more or less studied than the others).

il_colonnello

Reaction score

Personality and clothing ARE linked, insofar as clothing is a signifier of you interact with your environment, what cultural groups you are in or aspire to be in, your consumer values, and the list goes on. Obviously, your clothing doesn't say everything about your personality, but it's certainly not insignificant, and is probably important compared to a lot of other consumer choices, especially given that clothing is something you care about.

Right now, do you wear full Engineered Garments (or full Edward Green?) or full Rick?

Clothes can be used as an expression of certain aspects of your personality, but I think what he means is that if your whole wardrobe burned down or got stolen and you were suddenly reduced to wearing nothing but non-descript jeans and T-shirts from Zara, you'd still be the same person - to your relations as well as to yourself.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. My girl always comments that she doesn't want me to look prettier than her. Sometimes she just doesn't get my style.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There are decent Beats products, I don't hear a lot of people complaining about Beats breaking and a couple of their models beat similarly priced models on sound quality.

Build quality isn't just whether things fall apart, when you breath on them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads