1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

#luxury #style #gqlife #dapper #igent

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Whoever runs StyFo's IG account should post CM pics, but with SWD-only hashtags, just to fuck with people. So Claghorn in his sport coats, but with the hashtags:

#sashiko #shibori #indigo #noragi #wackomaria #junya #rickowens #dickovens #flowypants #ballersneakers #qasa #antifit #drksdw #brutalistbuilding #berlinmusicscene #concretearchitecture #tbscode #fuckdrewkeith

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    20 people like this.
  3. msg

msg Senior member

Last hash tag is the best hash tag

4. msg

msg Senior member

Apparently Ssense is pronounced "essence"

Never would've guessed that

5. dieworkwear

You know you're a Style Farmer when you know everything about fashion except how to pronounce brand or store names.

13 people like this.
  6. jet

jet Senior member

Bros, recs?

Off white ivory/cream colored linen pants

White jeans

7. msg

msg Senior member

Geller white denim at RSVP gallery

@jet

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Ftfy

1 person likes this.
  10. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Why don't you yoox roulette the linen pants? I'm assuming most Italian brands offer that and unless you're really after a specific cut you could be pleasantly surprised. My white summer pants are Margiela, straight leg and I like them but they could have been offered by any menswear brand so...

White jeans I don't give a damn, just enter any shop that has your cut, Uniqlo, Balenciaga whatever.

In other words, no recs, that stuff seems easy to find. Do you have some specific cuts you're looking for?

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

3sixteen has white denim

12. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

13. Sonderist

Sonderist Senior member

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Was it, though? I wanted to think that article was interesting but I didn't learn a lot about the actual origin of the cardigan in there.
    You can search site:*.jp or whatever country the retailers might be in if they have a country-specific URL

1 person likes this.
  15. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I'd argue only tangentially related to the military, based on the article. Cardigans created by Brudenell, Earl of Cardigan (haha) in the 19th century. Fun facts about how he was rich, led survived, and fled the Charge of the Light Brigade, then got busted out as a coward for said flight.

Then the article takes an abrupt turn into Coco Chanel, who in actuality popularized the cardigan for the masses via women's wear. Fun facts about how Coco was a fascist and Nazi sympathizer.

No real info on how or why Brudenell developed the cardigan other than reference to the popularity of the "knitted waistcoat."

Yeah, you're right, in retrospect the article was weak.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  16. dieworkwear

I've read that the cardigan was originally made for Lieutenant General James Brudenell, the Seventh Earl of Cardigan. He wanted a sweater that he could put on without messing up his coiffed hair, so they cut an opening down the front and put in buttons. Who knows if that story is true. If you care about your hair, you'd probably also care about an unusual opening (at the time) on your sweater.

17. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Wait, what? That article said Coco Chanel developed the cardigan so it wouldn't mess up her perfectly coiffed hair!

Maybe Chanel was the reincarnation of Brudenell? Or that article's just bullshit.

18. dieworkwear

I haven't read the Atlantic article yet, but cardigans were obviously a central piece to Coco Chanel's looks. Although I think hers was more like a jacket, rather than the knitted sweater we think of.

Anyway, if it was invented by the Earl of Cardigan, I don't see how Chanel could have reinvented it.

This is the problem with fashion writing, tbh. A lot of it draws from dubious historical sources, myths and tales, and marketing materials. I've read the story I cited in menswear history books, but a lot of those books have questionable sources. Good fashion research is more academic, and those kind of books don't really go into the "the history of the cardigan." They're more about changing identities of masculinity in fashion or whatever.

19. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

I wish I was the Earl of Cardigan instead of the Earl of the lowly Mock Turtleneck...

1 person likes this.
  20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

My takeaway is: much like you should only wear boat shoes if you're on a boat (and even then...), you should only wear a cardigan if pullover sweaters will mess up your coiffed hair.

A cardigan also solves the problem of stretching out the neckhole of your finely knit sweater

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.