Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

wear very warm. also, some of the chemicals used are apparently bad for your skin.

also - they still wrinkle.

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I've heard that this was a serious problem along with getting severely undercut by wholesalers (although I think they reined that in later to at least some extent).

I still can't believe they completely missed the train with the whole premium athleisure thing. All they had to do is:

- Come out with a few new, more fashion-y cuts for their basic sweats, tees, and tanks
    - Develop a couple of new "custom" fabric blends and weights
    - Throw in some hardware that wasn't the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel shit they usually use
    - Brand the whole thing as a "premium" line and build a marketing campaign around it

They could rake in a higher margin from the same people who were buying the trashy hipster shit ten years ago and now have some more discretionary income, plus they'd seem incrementally more of-the-moment now that they're beyond their prime in terms of cultural relevancy.

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Any Japanese stockists that sell Kapital and ship internationally? I'm enjoying browsing through some of their more recent pieces, but the mark-ups from buying through UK/US/CA stores seems ridiculous. It doesn't look that dear in Japan even adding on tax and shipping.

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

You can buy straight from kapital if you use Zenmarket/ a proxy!

5. Austo

Austo Active Member

None that I've been able to find, your best bet is to proxy

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Jonathan at Bandana Almanac works for Kapital and is happy to proxy stuff. I've bought stuff from him. The proxy fee is really minimal and he can help with sizing advice.

http://bandanna-almanac.com/

7. accordion

accordion Senior member

There are a couple of great looking knits from the lookbook that are absent from the kaptial webshop and every western stockist.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

8. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

Whoa, I have not been to Kapital webstore before. Is that all from this season? Theres so much stuff

9. minho

minho Well-Known Member

Is there any compelling reason to get nicer/more expensive basics (I'm thinking of t-shirts specifically) other than the ethics of how they're produced?

For example, my favorite t-shirt is an H&M Divided v-neck - it fits me fairly well (compared to other shirts I've tried at least), it's cheap and thin and not 100% cotton so it drapes on my body nicely, and well, it's cheap. At $6, I could go through 4 of these for the same price as a nicer $24 t-shirt from another brand.

On a related note, I've been meaning to replace my t-shirts recently and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any brand with a more aggressive taper for t-shirts. My problem is usually that the chest is too tight but waist/stomach is too loose.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, in their defense, companies much better positioned to do so also got on the boat super late. Nike, for example, was outplayed by Lululemon, and I think is still struggling a bit with womens', having allowed a much smaller company to muscle in on their womens business.

11. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Apparently Nike women's wear hired one of Acronym's first designers as their head of design. I'd like to see how that goes, or apparel in general, with Nike.

12. Ragechester

@Mulan Michaela Sachenbacher? I was wondering why the new women's line that nikelab put out looked so cool

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

14. accordion

accordion Senior member

I like apartments that don't have TVs

15. Ragechester

oh ok cool thanks @sipang

nikelab womens collection are leaps and bounds beyond mens collections, hopefully releasing the sneaker (nikexacr) means that they'll take more risks with the clothes in the future, because last fall and this spring acg was pretty boring, it didn't even look like spring collection sold well