• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I really liked this article/series you wrote (http://dieworkwear.com/post/165376979764/on-developing-personal-style) but would have loved to hear from more streetwear-oriented people on the matter of their most-worn clothing items.

Actually an SWD version would be cool. I was just following on a Vogue article, which was about their magazine editors. Kind of kept with the "fashion insider" theme because it seems many people there have wardrobes that outsize most.

Not against profiling regular people, but if people have suggestions on SWD-ish industry figures, I can reach out to them. Was going to continue the series at PTO.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random Fashion Thought: Why can't fashion companies making "Technical" clothing use actual performance fabrics and construction that would make them actually functional? That includes things like Nikelab. I mean, the ACG cargos would be so much better in a more durable nylon canvas, with things like triple stitching, which only makes sense if you use durable materials to begin with.

I'm talking companies like Stone Island Shadow Project, Acronym, Nikelab. It's not like they can't afford to use the best technical fabrics out there, at their prices.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random Fashion Thought: Why can't fashion companies making "Technical" clothing use actual performance fabrics and construction that would make them actually functional?

Good question - I bought a pair of Nikelab/ACG boots and quickly realised that although they're probably more weather resistant than most of their trainers, they're going to be nowhere near waterproof... I could have bought some less cool looking Keen or Meindl that would have been much more suitable for wet weather for a similar price.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question - I bought a pair of Nikelab/ACG boots and quickly realised that although they're probably more weather resistant than most of their trainers, they're going to be nowhere near waterproof... I could have bought some less cool looking Keen or Meindl that would have been much more suitable for wet weather for a similar price.
Nikelab puzzles me the most. They have access to ALL the best fabrics and construction methods. They make some of the best performance clothing possible. Stuff that can go through a thresher. And yet, when it comes time to make their "cool" clothes (and I love the design of their ACG cargos), they decide to use some really lightweight and not particularly durable 97% cotton, 3% elastane blend. It's neither going with something purely organic but durable, like 10-12 ounce cotton duck, nor with something that is true performance oriented, like the 3 layer polyesterd softshell, which, even on snagging a piece of fence hard, gets a very localized pull, only. There are also tons of military grade nylon canvasses that can take things like crawling in mud and rocks under barbed wire. You'd think that some of this stuff should be suitable for use in say, free running or skateboarding, but mostly, it's useful for walking gingerly to get your morning latte.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could I get away with this this season? Linen/silk/wool.

IMG_3900.JPG

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random Fashion Thought: Why can't fashion companies making "Technical" clothing use actual performance fabrics and construction that would make them actually functional? That includes things like Nikelab. I mean, the ACG cargos would be so much better in a more durable nylon canvas, with things like triple stitching, which only makes sense if you use durable materials to begin with.

I'm talking companies like Stone Island Shadow Project, Acronym, Nikelab. It's not like they can't afford to use the best technical fabrics out there, at their prices.

Look at Nike ACG not NikeLab ACG if you want rugged clothing made in textiles and using construction techniques that are suitable for outdoors use. All my Nike ACG gear is tough and performance-oriented. Prada Sport, Zegna Sport, any of the outdoors brands like TNF also provide more functional gear. Anything in the "techwear" sphere merely references technical features in their casual streetwear pieces. And to be fair the usage case of the average techwear consumer is sitting in an office cubicle or university lecture with a 30 minute commute that may involve a brisk walk through a light drizzle. They do not need to be decked head to toe in Gore-Tex membrane; too heavy, not comfortable and would make everything more expensive than it already is. Most just want the technical aesthetic referenced on their comfortable streetwear gear. It is one of the reasons why I largely avoid anything that competes in that niche: over-priced, all show, no go. You have brands like Acronym selling $800 pants with "high density jersey" for "fabric technology" (their marketing terms). Veilance is one of the few that provides some measure of technical performance for commuters in a lightweight application with a less outdoors-y aesthetic. You would go mainline Arcteryx if you wanted something more robust even then.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about RLX and old RLBL, I definitely used my RLBL as if they were north face (i.e. beat the heck out of it), though no idea why have RLX and Polo Sport (just running gear?)

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
colabear could be a character in twin peaks. mysterious wealth, fetishes for glazed baked goods, retro french affectations. flirting and giggling under interrogation, teasing the police with vague clues in a homocide case while a croissant sits untouched in the middle of the table

There's an opportune typo in there but to call it Freudian would be to call you a bigot.

The season is approaching where I get dangerously close to buying more knitwear I don't need.

Must resist new canadian hand knits.

Don't resist. There's always room for more knits even when there's no room for them.

Our goal on StyleForum should be to get Nathan for You to pick up some struggling fashion company. Like J. Crew or something.

Isn't that basically what happened with the holocaust windbreaker or whatever it was?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at Nike ACG not NikeLab ACG if you want rugged clothing made in textiles and using construction techniques that are suitable for outdoors use. All my Nike ACG gear is tough and performance-oriented. Prada Sport, Zegna Sport, any of the outdoors brands like TNF also provide more functional gear. Anything in the "techwear" sphere merely references technical features in their casual streetwear pieces. And to be fair the usage case of the average techwear consumer is sitting in an office cubicle or university lecture with a 30 minute commute that may involve a brisk walk through a light drizzle. They do not need to be decked head to toe in Gore-Tex membrane; too heavy, not comfortable and would make everything more expensive than it already is. Most just want the technical aesthetic referenced on their comfortable streetwear gear. It is one of the reasons why I largely avoid anything that competes in that niche: over-priced, all show, no go. You have brands like Acronym selling $800 pants with "high density jersey" for "fabric technology" (their marketing terms). Veilance is one of the few that provides some measure of technical performance for commuters in a lightweight application with a less outdoors-y aesthetic. You would go mainline Arcteryx if you wanted something more robust even then.

I'll probably do that. It's just disappointing, since things like Nikelab look pretty cool... But not really suitable for very much other than looking pretty.

Also, how is Acronym always sold out? Who is lining up to pay $800-1.2K for a pair of pants?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Acronym fans are diehard and they produce everything in very limited runs.
If they make something you want you better buy it as soon as it releases because it's not sitting until sale season and it's not getting re-stocked until the next season when it gets a new iteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads