• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trend has been going on for a few yrs in Scandinavia, no? I mean I call this "the Scandi look". Maybe it is mutating but it is not so much Lemaire as Céline drained of colour and the quirk that can make it charming. Adopted elsewhere by people who think minimalism is like, totally sophisticated.
Yeah, I would say for at least the last 2 years.

Your description is quite accurate. Think wide pants, oversize drop shoulder top/very long coat, turtlenecks and strict shirts, and fun/retro sneakers. Monochrome, black, white, gray. Maybe some color on the sneakers. Sneakers are often Nikes such as Air Max or AF1s, not Converse as used to be the go to scandi sneaker. And yes, it is more minimal and streetwear inspired than the subtle heritage or military references you see in Lemaire.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, it depends more on the weave than fiber. I have some tropical wool pants that feel cooler than denser linen pants. But also some open weave linens that feel as airy as those tropical wools.

Is cotton (even lightweight) going to be inferior to wool/linen because it soaks up moisture? I just see a lot of lightweight cotton trousers on sale right now...

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemaire cuts, styling and even hair is very 80s, I don't really see that influence in the Scandi style.

Note: dancing scene is set at famous 80s discothèque Les bains douches.

That's pretty spot on, at least for the most recent collection.

Looked through some Lemaire based on this conversation, and while I'm interested in the volume, but I don't think I'm sophisticated enough for the minimalism. I need my clothes to help make me interesting...

I'd say Lemaire is still fairly distinct, at least compared to the more common run of clothing tastes, especially when worn by a tall skinny dude such as myself. I also live in Austin at present, so.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's pretty spot on, at least for the most recent collection.

I'd say Lemaire is still fairly distinct, at least compared to the more common run of clothing tastes, especially when worn by a tall skinny dude such as myself. I also live in Austin at present, so.

Oh, I think you are right that it is distinct. I'm just not a minimalist by nature and so I think the full Lemaire wouldn't work for me from what I've seen. And while the silhouettes may not be unique, they are certainly different from the slim-tapered world that's very common at the moment.

Also, looking at the F/W presentation on the Lemaire site, I'd say it definitely as a military feel to it.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't really think of Lemaire as being "minimalist" though.
I suppose this is probably splitting hairs/the same thing now that I think of it but I've just viewed Lemaire as pared back. The details and trimmings are all there and everything I own (a lot) feels "luxurious" for lack of a better word (except the poplin pullovers but I don't know how you would make them luxurious, they are a thicker poplin than usual I guess).
I don't consider myself a minimalist either but Lemaire and Geller are the two designers that take up 90% of my wardrobe

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may be focusing too much on the colors.

Flipping through the F/W 18 runway photos, I see some interesting things and more color certainly. I think I connect most with what I take to be a photo of Lemaire himself:

_LEM0870.jpg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is cotton (even lightweight) going to be inferior to wool/linen because it soaks up moisture? I just see a lot of lightweight cotton trousers on sale right now...

It probably matters less for trousers, tbh. I like summer appropriate trousers, but outside of wearing some heavy flannel or whatever, the difference between cotton, tropical wool, and linen is splitting hairs (in terms of how cool they wear). I just don't find I trap that much heat around my legs. It matters more if you're talking about shirts and jackets. At least in my experience.

For trousers, the difference between cotton, linen, and tropical wool is more likely going to determine how you look, style wish. Linen obviously wrinkles. So does cotton. Wool looks dressier.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Holland at the moment and I feel everyone wears their clothing a few sizes too small.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
but do their muffintops muffintop on top of their muffintops?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Belgians took all the good fashun and the beer in 1830.

@sipang this was mentioned before, but that silhouette is everywhere in womenswear (via topshop/ zara). literally one in two/three young women in any east london coffee shop will be wearing some variant. i feel like it's crossing over to menswear from there, rather than lemaire being a specific reference point

Sure but it's not just the overall silhouette and I'm not talking only about the menswear, it's the colors combinations, the styling, the fabrics, the recent frilly stuff etc. Idk maybe I'm bugging but looking at Lemaire (men's and women's) collections since say ss2013, the references seem pretty noticeable to me. Ofc this is all just pictures on the internet, usual caveats apply etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads