1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by padronlover, Jul 28, 2008.

1. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

Does anyone have a suggestion for a firm sole? I dont like my soles to have a lot of give. How is the camp sole? Very firm?

2. seasquirrel

seasquirrel Senior member

I'm not sure if this helps you, but I have what seems to be a similar question. I love my bluchers, which have the Vibram rugged sole. However, they feel relatively thin (I can easily feel the ground underneath) and aren't what I would call firm. I emailed Quoddy customer service, and they told me this:

"Certain soles require midsoles and the Roccia that is featured on the Perry Boot is one of them. The Roccia, Mini Lug, and Leather Siped Sole are all soles with Midsoles. They would have that extra layer that you are referring to."

I was asking about support, rather than firmness, but maybe that would help you, too? I'm planning on ordering a Telos chukka with either Roccia or Mini Lug.

3. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

The camp sole that Quoddy uses is very flexible -- that's great for mocs and moc construction because the whole thing molds to the shape of your foot. If you want something super firm, you might look at the "vibram rugged" sold that's an option on some quoddys.

You should also look at Rancourt/Oak St/Russell/Eastland Made in Maine -- IMO Quoddy specializes in "softer" moccasins, whereas some of the other companies builds are much more substantial. I have a pair of Russells with a midsole and Vibram Christy soles and they are stiff/firm as all hell. more like a work boot than a moc...

4. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

Apologies. I should be more specific. I'm looking for a sole with little or no give- meaning when you take a step, you don't bounce back up like with a crepe sole.

5. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Anything like a christy or a lugged sole would work. Just avoid crepe soles (like on earth shoes...). I think you might be looking at a boot rather than a moccasin style shoe, tbh.

6. worldofinflatio

worldofinflatio Member

Hey folks, wondering if anyone has photos of the Blucher in CXL Natural and Cav Whiskey WITH a black camp sole. \

I can't find photos anywhere....all red sole stuff

What do y'all think would work better?

I've found a pair of Boat Moc in the combo i think i want for the Blucher, but the color looks totally different than on the site (way darker!)

Says this is Cav / Charcoal sole / What laces? Black?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture of Cav / Whiskey Blucher on the site to same specs. Totally different!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. seasquirrel

seasquirrel Senior member

My whiskey cavalier Telos chukkas showed up today. They feel great!

[​IMG]

8. bruc

bruc New Member

Whats difference between Bluchers and Maliseet?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

Number of eyelets, collar style, facings.

10. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Kennebecs for $229 this week--$86 off.

11. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I had a hard time finding pics of this exact makeup, so figured I would contribute these. Natural cxl, natural threads, gum camp sole, antique brass, rawhide lace, cross-stitch tips

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    2 people like this.
  12. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

SO I called in today and found out that Quoddy has increased their refurb cost to $130 and there's a 6-8 week lagtime. I remember paying $30 for this just a couple years ago....Anyways, has anyone tried to go an alternative route and used either another company or a local cobbler to do repairs? My bluchers (the standard chromexel/bricksole ones) badly need a resole so that's what I'm most interested in getting done.

13. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

This is insane. Their prices have almost doubled in the last 10 years as well.

14. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

In case anyone's curious - I ended up just buying the soles from Quoddy ($35 shipped I believe) and bringing them to a local shoe repair shop. Total cost to repair was around $60-70.

1 person likes this.