• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you Cleav :) I thought about the Clifford too but decided on Finsbury as I preferred its medallion design, although the total cost including dainite sole conversion still came >£400 so wasn't that much less than Clifford. Not sure if I made the right decision lol but I guess both are mighty fine :cool:

Well, based on the pics you've posted thus far you certainly did make a good decision, lookin good :nodding:

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Which C&J last is best for a low instep?
Hmmmm.... I'm not completely sure to be honest? You may find that it differs even on the same last from shoe to shoe due to the way they cut the facing patterns. I remember this was noticable on some of the 348 shoes. In theory they should all be identical on the same last as the facings normally meet on the centre line...

Stick to oxfords and ask for a tongue pad to try them with. If that works for you cobblers can always insert a permanent pad into the tongue, easy job so won't take long. All can be done through the store.

Hey Crat!

Those Finsburys are looking good Chuckie Egg :)

Reaction score
Just got these today in sale... Lawrence Handgrade with hand sewn split-toe and lake :) Probably going to strip and recolour them in mid-dark brown. What do you think?

I really wanted the Edward Green Ashbys but they are Waaaaaaaay out of my price range. Pretty happy with these though for around half the price ;)

soender

Reaction score
Anyone know how much C&J store in the UK charge to swap double leather to dainite?
This summer, I was quoted 60 pounds for a new pair bought in store (10 days conversion), and 110 for a used pair (8 weeks conversion). Price could easily have on up a bit since then.

William Powell

Reaction score
Yep, sorry I forgot to say its £60 when u get it done to a new pair otherwise it's classed as a repair and the price is then £115 (around there).

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got these today in sale... Lawrence Handgrade with hand sewn split-toe and lake :) Probably going to strip and recolour them in mid-dark brown. What do you think? I really wanted the Edward Green Ashbys but they are Waaaaaaaay out of my price range. Pretty happy with these though for around half the price ;)
I would keep the colour .. I like it .. So much dark brown already from everyone.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally, someone using them for what they're intended and not babying them on a shelf with endless saphir treatments*! :slayer: (*as most, not all, of my country boots ashamedly are too...)
In honor if Brummie (and other crash test-believers): Me and my Islays in the wild after doing a bit of logging... Cheers!

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Finally, someone using them for what they're intended and not babying them on a shelf with endless saphir treatments
This, a dozen times over.

I think there's a bit of a cultural thing here with the way that some people on this forum treat their footwear and clothes (and other goods) compared to the people who have traditionally been the main users of some of the things that are held in high esteem on here.

If you've ever been to the house of an upper-class or upper-middle-class (yes, some people do still make the distinction) Englishman, then you'll see that most things there are of the highest quality and have been well-used for some time. The expectation is that you pay for quality stuff and that longevity is part of the package, and also that the goods will be entirely fit for the purpose for which they are intended, with minimal faff and fuss - this applies equally to a pair of shooting boots, or a wax jacket, or a tweed suit, or an off-road vehicle or whatever.

So as soon as you've parted with the cash, you start using the hell out of whatever you'd bought and expect it to last a long, long time - another good reason for shoemakers and wax jacket suppliers and the like to provide a good aftercare service to acknowledge that their goods are designed to be patched, resoled, reheeled and so on.

And with all of these goods, they tend to look better and better with age, like a decades-old pair of country brogues or a battered Durham wax jacket. It's very much like the English expression of the Japanese 'wabi-sabi' aesthetic.

(As an aside of vague relevance, those of you who've read the former Tory MP Alan Clark's memoirs might remember his put-down of fellow Tory Michael Heseltine as being someone who had "to buy his own furniture"...)

Now that forums like this have brought these kind of goods to a wider audience they are being picked up by people who don't share the same cultural sensibilities as the aforementioned country types above and naturally, having spent a significant wedge of cash on these goods, they get babied and pampered and so on. I'd never suggest wear and tear on anything for its own sake, but it's good to see stuff being used in its natural habitat like the couple of pairs of Islay's on the last couple of pages...

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This, a dozen times over.

I think there's a bit of a cultural thing here with the way that some people on this forum treat their footwear and clothes (and other goods) compared to the people who have traditionally been the main users of some of the things that are held in high esteem on here.

If you've ever been to the house of an upper-class or upper-middle-class (yes, some people do still make the distinction) Englishman, then you'll see that most things there are of the highest quality and have been well-used for some time. The expectation is that you pay for quality stuff and that longevity is part of the package, and also that the goods will be entirely fit for the purpose for which they are intended, with minimal faff and fuss - this applies equally to a pair of shooting boots, or a wax jacket, or a tweed suit, or an off-road vehicle or whatever.

So as soon as you've parted with the cash, you start using the hell out of whatever you'd bought and expect it to last a long, long time - another good reason for shoemakers and wax jacket suppliers and the like to provide a good aftercare service to acknowledge that their goods are designed to be patched, resoled, reheeled and so on.

And with all of these goods, they tend to look better and better with age, like a decades-old pair of country brogues or a battered Durham wax jacket. It's very much like the English expression of the Japanese 'wabi-sabi' aesthetic.

(As an aside of vague relevance, those of you who've read the former Tory MP Alan Clark's memoirs might remember his put-down of fellow Tory Michael Heseltine as being someone who had "to buy his own furniture"...)

Now that forums like this have brought these kind of goods to a wider audience they are being picked up by people who don't share the same cultural sensibilities as the aforementioned country types above and naturally, having spent a significant wedge of cash on these goods, they get babied and pampered and so on. I'd never suggest wear and tear on anything for its own sake, but it's good to see stuff being used in its natural habitat like the couple of pairs of Islay's on the last couple of pages...

Very well put. However, I don't see anything inherently wrong about "babying" boots with layers of Saphir. After all, the reason why they are so long lasting is that they are properly cared for – and that they're of a quality worth caring for. The reason why I buy quality footwear is the long life I expect from it (and, well, the looks and comfort too). As my late grandma used to tell me: the most expensive will be the least expensive in the long run. I'm not entirely sure she was right in all aspects, but at least it gives me yet another reason to keep buying quality stuff :)

On a side note: when I went logging in my Islays my girlfriend told me I was crazy to do it "in such expensive boots" – obviously I replied that that was what they were meant for. Luckily she hasn't got a clue about the price range of my EGs, but all the better.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads