1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

When does sale start?

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Do tell, because the email just said the sale starts on the 21st.

Is it discounted & specific models only, as usual?

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

They said they'd email available sizes and styles the day before the sale.

1 person likes this.
  4. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior member

For those of you who own the harlech, how do you like them? How casually can they be worn given the narrower and sleeker last? I'd like to purchase a pair in the future but not sure how well they'd fit into a wardrobe of only chinos and jeans.

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I wear my Whiskey Harlechs with jeans and chinos only. Never had an issue.

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I have two Harlech boots and wear them with both chinos and denim. The whiskey shell boots go especially well with dark denim.

7. Crat

Crat Senior member

They go best with jeans & chino's. Also good with casual suits like tweed.

Just polished mine the other day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

^Fantastic shine on your Harlechs, @Crat

@hoit1981 @BootSpell I'm roughly two months from taking delivery of my own whiskey Harlechs; any recent pics to demonstrate how they age?

9. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I'll take some pics in the next few days (house is in disarray due to carpet cleaning) but Hoit might have better wear on his whiskey Harlechs. Disappointingly, I haven't worn mine as much as I've wanted as I've been forced to wear some newer acquisitions for urgent OCD break-in purposes.

1 person likes this.
  10. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Sounds like a tough life...[​IMG]

11. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The trafford is on sale again, this time at the $269 price. I'm a 9 TTS but the US9 trafford was way too long at that size. Only the US 8s were available and not the US 8.5s, so I decided to pick the 8s up to see whether they will fit. Hopefully it's not too snug.

I know for sure that the trafford is at least half a size too large, but I wasn't certain if it's one full size too large. Will report when I get it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  12. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Quite true - C&J have been manufacturing a local range in South Africa for many many years - 70`s or 80`s...

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I don't think these are being produced by C&J as a "local range" in SA, as they are just too hideous. Rather, as others have mentioned, C&J sold the use of their name in the 70's to a SA company to avoid bankruptcy. This SA company continues to make shoes using the C&J name, but are in no way affiliated with C&J Northampton.

1 person likes this.
  14. CandJONLINE

CandJONLINE Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Some of you are correct and clearly know your stuff, but just to clarify to those who are either new to C&J or don't know the ins-and-outs of this topic:

Any shoes on the South African market are produced under licence (by another company) for the local market and are only sold in South Africa. They are made in a South African factory and have entirely different styles and specifications (as a budding C&J customer might recognise) from Crockett & Jones shoes available throughout the rest of the world, which are all proudly made in our factory in Northampton, England.

This does indeed date back to the early 70's, and was a partnership until Crockett & Jones (along with much of the UK shoe trade) had financial difficulties which lead us to organising a licensing agreement to a South African factory to produce and sell within South Africa only. These are the shoes you sometimes see today.

They are very easily distinguishable as they are not able to use the modern day and worldwide known Crockett & Jones logo. Shoes on the South African market are still using our logo from the 70's along which material labels on the linings.

we often get asked about the quality or specification of these shoes as they occasionally appear on site like eBay, but we can comment on the quality or spec as the Crockett & Jones that you all know and love, no longer have any involvement with the South African factory.

It would be an easy option to criticise previous management for this decision, however we forget that in the 70's the Internet didn't exist and people were not privy to the huge amount of information that we are today. In hindsight, of course previous management wouldn't have wanted to sell the licensing, but in the face of serious financial difficulties and the possibility of Crockett & Jones in Northampton ceasing to exist, raising funds was clearly imperative. All being said, hindsight is a wonderful thing and one must praise them for keeping the business afloat when, sadly, so many didn't.

One thing we can be sure of, is that 4th generation family member Jonathan Jones our current Managing Director has brought Crockett & Jones successfully back to a very positive place in the market, producing very good shoes whilst still offering value for money. Today's challenges are different; they are one of leather sourcing, skilled labour and product quality, all aspects our management are constantly focusing on.

After all, manufacturing was never supposed to be easy!

If any member of the forum ever need to query a Crockett & Jones branded shoe, please do not hesitate to send us an email either via the forum or to admin@crockettandjones.co.uk

Kindest regards,

James Fox
    Crockett & Jones Online.

7 people like this.
  15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Thanks for the clarification.

16. joeninety

joeninety Well-Known Member

anyone know when the next crockett and jones london sale is? seem to remember it was around this time last year...

17. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Anyone have the experience with their sale in London Stores?

Does the Oxford shoes like Connaught ever see the light of sale?

18. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

I would also be curious to know about the sale. I plan on visiting London in two weeks.

19. greasymonkey

greasymonkey Senior member

Yep Connaught, Hallam and Edgware are usually in sales. It just depends on whether its in your size.

20. joeninety

joeninety Well-Known Member

as far as i remember its the benchgrade line that goes on sale, with few handgrade shoes. i remember someone saying the sale shoes were seconds but i dont think they were last year...