** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I bought Northcote and Tetbury from you during my short 2 years sting in London (2009~2011), the few things I have ever paid retail, and I have to say no regrets. Good luck to whatever new place you're going

2. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I have the Portman 3 in dark brown and really like them. They're beautiful shoes and the leather is super soft and has great color depth. However, they are not particularly versatile. I was surprised his dressy they are, and how they really only look good with suits. If you already have a solid collection then they are a worth addition, but make sure you've got the essentials first.

Below are some pics in the wild (or at least my office).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

@jssdc many thanks, I suspected a lack of versatility, but you're right they look great. Wear in good health man!

4. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Thanks jssdc. That's good to know about "dressy" factor.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Hey Will, immensely pleased you've joined this thread. Your knowledge and experience will certainly be appreciated. I am certain that C&J are missing you terribly. Since you sold me those Harlechs, I have bought a pair of Conistons on sale from Barneys and really enjoying them. I'm also on a group MTO for a whiskey shell Harlech that we are hoping will arrive in a month or so. Lauren Taylor is coordinating that MTO for us.

As a side note, I think you have corrupted my wife. She used to buy cheap cemented shoes that lasted barely six months. After you sold her those boots and shoes, she is definitely spending more money on quality footwear for herself. @West End Closer is very apt!! I wish you the best in your current and future endeavors.

Welcome again, Will.

6. West End Closer

West End Closer Member

I'm glad to hear you've got yourself a pair of Coniston, IN SALE TOO!!! They are certainly my favourite C&J boot. I remember you trying them on in the store actually, the 325 last fit you very well! You did well getting a group together for those whiskey Harlechs, they will be very special once they're made. If your lucky you might get a pair with the Horween stamp inside (would be on the tongue probably), it's fairly rare but an extra touch I personally like. I'm also pleased to hear your wife is enjoying her new found appreciation for quality footwear. The womens range is certainly growing in popularity although womens fashion tends to be more transient so time will tell the longevity of this, fingers crossed!

I love the Portman demi-boots, the 358 last is a little long for my feet but looks extremely sharp. The only problem with the Portman was that it can sometimes be a little high round the top-line and sometimes rubbed on the ankle, most don't have a problem but it's something to consider if anyone mail orders a pair even if they have another shoe on the same last.

7. West End Closer

West End Closer Member

Oh, and the portman (with the heel sock removed) is one of the best models for use with orthotic insoles, very deep - so your heel won't slip in the shoe once lifted by the insole.

8. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Hello you sold me the Pembroke a few months ago @ 92 Jermyn St. I can recognise it's you by your beautiful Rolex Datejust^. Thank you so much again for your great customer service. I've also since bought a pair of chestnut Finsbury because I had such a good experience of Crockett & Jones with you. Sorry to hear you're no longer there but very best wishes to you & happy new year :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

9. West End Closer

West End Closer Member

Thanks Chuckie Egg, I probably told you at the time but I've got a pair of Pembrokes and they are so comfortable (as I'm sure you now know), particularly useful for all this winter rain! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your shopping experience and I really appreciate the kind comments. Normally the Date Just isn't too visible hidden under my shirt cuff but obviously when bending down to assist customers it tended to make an appearance. I usually try to keep it a little more subtle ;) I'm going to have to join the watch threads next I think.

The Finsburys are such a classic and chestnut is arguably THE most versatile colour you can get at crocketts. I definately preffer the classic ranges c'nut calf with age as it can be quite monotone straight out of the factory. 6 months wear and they get sooooooo much nicer. The shades vary up, the depth of the patina builds and the tone of the dye mellows (much like the connaughts I posted earlier which are made of the same calf).

Happy New Year to you too!

10. Chuckie Egg

Thank you Will. May I ask your recommendation for the appropriate polish for chestnut? Does C&J do a chestnut polish? (You also sold me 2 tins of C&J tan polish and shoe trees) :)

11. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

+1.

As someone who will be making a chestnut connaught purchase, i would love to know the best way to develop the patina, and what products to use / how to use them on the C&J chestnut calf.

I was recently fitted for some Connaughts in Black, and some Chestnut were brought out so i could easily try the F fitting. | rather quickly decided that some chestnut connaughts were in my future. Perhaps this is a well known C&J sales technique? If it is it certainly worked!

Many thanks.

12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

14. Chuckie Egg

Definitely true... I had asked for my Finsbury to be changed to dainite sole (i wanted to wear it in all weather) but unfortunately the local repair guy that C&J used didn't do such a great job, with asymmetry and unevenness as well as dent marks. Mr Barr the asst manager of the Royal Exchange London store very kindly obliged my request without quibble to send it to the factory to do it and it came back perfect as you'd expect, and I am truly grateful :)

[​IMG]

And the Pembroke that Will sold me @ 92 Jermyn St (thanks again!)... :)

[​IMG]

15. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Would you guys say the 337 last is better looking than the 240 last?