** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

They look really swell :) Practically identical to the EG Ashby. I think it'll look great in antique mid-dark brown or something like that. Look forward to seeing your result with them!

2. razl

razl Senior member

Thanks so much for mentioning wabi-sabi. I'd never heard of it before even though I've always had an unexplained fondness for Japanese aesthetics (I coincidentally have both a Japanese architecture and cookbook on my nightstand reading pile); to think my attraction to well designed, well executed, well used things may be represented in an old Japanese worldview would be serendipitous indeed. Hmmmm, you've given me a whole new topic to explore!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

3. soender

soender Well-Known Member

Have you read "In praise of Shadows" by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki? If not, you should. I think you will find it having pointers, you could also use for inspiration to your attire.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. razl

razl Senior member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

6. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Senior member

Now I have two books on the way from Amazon. Thank you :)

7. t44tq

t44tq New Member

Going back to some posts a few pages back, did anyone get more information on those Purdey boots? If they are C&J made, on a 325 last with a G width, I'm golden. Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to do MTO with C&J in London. The price that NYC quoted me was much, much higher. I'd rather save the GBP200 difference between the Purdeys and MTO C&J, especially if I'm basically ordering a standard finish Islay or Coniston, just in a different width.

8. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

I believe this is the difference if they send it to a local cobbler vs sending it back to the C&J factory

9. embromides

embromides Member

Hi, t44tq. I've had my Pudey boots some weeks now. I alternate them with my Coniston, my Harlech and my Cheaney Cairngorms (derby veldtschoens - a D fitting, now discontinued). They are indeed made by Crockett and have the same pattern number stamped inside as the Coniston. They are not a "D" specification, just the standard Coniston last which is more generous in a boot than the 325 last in a Derby or Oxford shoe - to allow for thicker socks I presume. I cannot wear the 325 last in a shoe - just too tight a fit in width.

I ordered from Purdey in London by phone, £395. I'm pleased with them, though I've taken to using a burgundy polish to maintain their dark brown colouring. I would choose them over the Islay if you prefer a sleeker style of boot - I like my brouging on an Oxford shoe.

I hope they will serve me as well as my eleven year old Conistons.

10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

^Any chance of some pics of your footwear, including the Cheaneys, please?

I'd be interested in seeing how they're ageing. If the Cheaneys are in zug then I'd imagine they probabl look fantastic as Cheaney used to use some fantastic zug grain on their country boots and shoes...

11. S K M

S K M Senior member

Btw (and a tiny bit off topic I'm afraid) do you know if EG still does Galways in zug as MTO? Would like to have some veldtschoened boots with shearling, and I think EG are the only ones who does that, insofar as C&J won't do shearling [​IMG]

12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Have you checked Paul Stuart? They have some entire shearling lined boots (from shaft to toe) in sone kind of grain, suede mix. It's made in England, so must have been AS or CJ, though it was on clearance so probably not much left

13. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks a lot for you suggestion! However, it seems there are not any left of the ones you're mentioning. It's really a shame, since a (zug)grain/suede mix is exactly what I'm after, preferably both veltschoened, fully shearling lined and with a ridgeway sole – in other words a really die hard boot. Since C&J won't work with shearling, I guess the ones mentioned are AS, so I will check out what they have to offer too. Fortunately this winter doesn't seem to be very cold and snowy – at least here in Denmark – so my project can wait until next winter, which will probably be the case anyway considering the timeframe of most MTO programmes.

Cheers!
    SKM

14. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I think they call it 'heather gorse' these days but worth dropping them a line. Bear in mind that the lined Galways only have the boot leg with shearling and not the body of the boot itself.

I was a little gutted when C&J kicked the shearling idea into touch but then thought about it and decided that a year-round boot to wear casually was of more use to me anyway. Also, see below...

They're the Cheaney Irvine model which I spoilered in a post a few days ago. Getting them more than made up for the lack of lining in my special order Snowdons, and they're still available in the UK. I got mine from the Shoe Healer and Cheaney themselves sell them. Great boots!

15. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks a lot! Recently I read (here) that EG now offers two MTO progammes, where the "standard" line is for simple change of leather etc. (and quotes a 150 pounds up charge/no up charge if ordered via a group of at least six) and the upper level is for changes of patterns etc. That gives me hope that EG would be willing to do a fully shearling lined Galway in heather gorse/suede and Veldtschoen construction. They probably won't be cheap, but I guess there's only one way to find out...

I've had a look at Cheaney, thanks, but they're not exactly what I'm after, since as far as I can see they don't offer anything in Veldtschoen which is what my boot-collection is missing most dearly, I guess.