• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any interest in a Tetbury mto? Just ordered black calf; wouldn't mind a calf or cordovan in an interesting colour (navy?).

I've owned brown calfskin Tetburys for years and they're my go-to dress casual rain boots. I like them so much that I just bought a pair of black calfskin, even though I would really prefer a corodovan shade of chukka boot. I would be interested in something in the red or burgundy family, something like Carmina's ruby (if C&J has something similar).

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently contacted C&& regarding the possibilities of a group MTO for interested SF members. I asked about an all eyelet cordovan Harlech with storm welt on commando and was told that something along those lines would be possible. Boots would be non-returnable and payment would need to be in full prior to construction. Wait time would be 10-12 weeks. If anyone's interested I think we should take advantage. PM me if interested - I could also start a new thread...

What color of shell?

CTBrummie

Reaction score

In the UK, they use Koko's in north London.

Apparently they have c&j supplied materials etc, but i understand they only carry out small repairs like heels etc as opposed to full resole. Presumably only the factory in Northampton have the original lasts needed for a full recraft.

EG use Koko's too, for repairs and mods that don't need to go back to the factory. The local C&J shop to me will send down any footwear by any maker on a Tuesday and have it returned the following week.

Koko's made a balls-up of the resole job I sent to them and failed to put it right the second time round, so now I only use the Shoe Healer for all my repairs and resoles.

Not convinced that a factory refurb is worth the money anyway if you know how to care for leather.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What color of shell?

I was thinking dark brown but if course it's open to discussion.

I heard back from Steve at C&J today...

The cost of Harlech is £575 but as a non EU customer we will take off the VAT so the price will be £479 plus an shipping costs.
If you want to go ahead with the order I will designate my assistant Lauren to deal with all the orders and collate the sizes.
Your associates would need to try the boot on in one of our stores to get the correct fitting and then email Lauren the information.
Lauren will then place the order.

... Seems like a damn good way of doing things. I guess if you know your size in the Harlech 341 last you're good to go. Namor - I figure you'd know, how does the Harlech fit - similar to the Marlow wingtips?

Reaction score
I'm new to C&J and got myself two pairs this weekend. Been trying to get them for a while, and finally took the time (8h train journey) to go and try them out. Landed with a pair of Exmoor roughout suede and a pair of Islay country grain. Both pairs have a snug fit on my feet, as they should and I'm convinced that they are the correct size. My concern right now is the sole on the Exmoors, it's a really stiff shoe overall, and the sole especially (double dianite), I did expect a pretty hard breakin, but after walking 10 min in these babies my heels have zero skin left. I think it's mostly because of the sole which makes the heel slip slightly. The Islays are not really a problem, even if they slip ever so slightly during break in, the heel part doesn't eat my skin.

The next time I wear them it's tape on my heels for sure, but I wonder if you have any tips for breaking in the sole. I can take some pain and suffering, but not being able to walk at all is an issue. Should I wear them for a day at home, trying to get them a little softer from bodyheat and moist and then trying to walk/bend some? Right now I'm at the point where I'm mostly happy that I didn't decide to wear them for a full day at first.

Last edited:

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

Would anyone be keen for a MTO order of the Northcote in Snuff Suede?

That would be a great boot but i have derby boot in snuff suede from Carmina. I tried to get someone on the train for a Westbourne in polo suede a year or two ago. Would still be interested in that.

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Haha, great post. Boots love some beating, please post some pics of how they look after you cleaned them.

I think they look pretty damn good, fair to say I'm chuffed with how they've turned out. They were always going to be boots to be worn with denim anyway, and now they will look bang on the money for the winter.

Before:

After:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a proper pair of men's boots!
Love it!
How long have you had them before the paintball action?

Never got why people were worried about small water stains on their shoes.
Nobody but themselves would notice anyways.
Shoes with character look ten times more appealing than out of the box, they are a commodity after all.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
antonlindstrom: I'm new to C&J and got myself two pairs this weekend. Been trying to get them for a while, and finally took the time (8h train journey) to go and try them out. Landed with a pair of Exmoor roughout suede and a pair of Islay country grain. Both pairs have a snug fit on my feet, as they should and I'm convinced that they are the correct size. My concern right now is the sole on the Exmoors, it's a really stiff shoe overall, and the sole especially (double dianite), I did expect a pretty hard breakin, but after walking 10 min in these babies my heels have zero skin left. I think it's mostly because of the sole which makes the heel slip slightly. The Islays are not really a problem, even if they slip ever so slightly during break in, the heel part doesn't eat my skin.

The next time I wear them it's tape on my heels for sure, but I wonder if you have any tips for breaking in the sole. I can take some pain and suffering, but not being able to walk at all is an issue. Should I wear them for a day at home, trying to get them a little softer from bodyheat and moist and then trying to walk/bend some? Right now I'm at the point where I'm mostly happy that I didn't decide to wear them for a full day at first.

Nothing even close to resembling this has ever happened to me. It makes me think you purchased the wrong size, but you are the best judge of that - not me. Good luck.

Reaction score
Yeah, something's up. Tried them out at the general agent for C&J here in Sweden, they measured my feet to get me the correct lasts and sizes for my feet, which makes me think it should be right. It feels right when I put them on and walk a few steps, which is about what you get at the store. I'll give it another go and see how this turns out, just wondered if anyone had some tips. They are a pretty big investment for me, so would be really sad if it didn't work out.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's a rare Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers PTB. Boned calf. Thought I'd post here for documentary purposes. Looks like they took this style off the site for now.

On the 240 last.

IMG_7574_zpsff52940e.jpg

IMG_7590_zpsf79ec9af.jpg

IMG_7575_zps17f3a042.jpg

IMG_7568_zpse0c354e8.jpg

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Does C&J replace insoles during a recraft? Some makers don't.

As for them accepting the shoes, I see no reason why C&J would care if had a topy on the sole. They are going to remove the whole thing anyway.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's a rare Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers PTB. Boned calf. Thought I'd post here for documentary purposes. Looks like they took this style off the site for now.

On the 240 last.

IMG_7574_zpsff52940e.jpg

IMG_7590_zpsf79ec9af.jpg

IMG_7575_zps17f3a042.jpg

IMG_7568_zpse0c354e8.jpg
Awesome PTB's. I'd buy a pair of those. Thanks for posting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads