** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Crat

Crat Senior member

Were you the guy in the rabbit suit Brummie? :rotflmao:

2. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Quick question...

The C&J website says:
    "Aside from the factory repairs most of the Crockett & Jones retail shops also offer a local repair service, which is carried out by a reputable agent on our behalf and takes approximately 2 weeks."

Is this "reputable agent" as good as the factory and do they use original C&J parts for repair (eg C&J branded soles)?

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I recently contacted C&& regarding the possibilities of a group MTO for interested SF members. I asked about an all eyelet cordovan Harlech with storm welt on commando and was told that something along those lines would be possible. Boots would be non-returnable and payment would need to be in full prior to construction. Wait time would be 10-12 weeks. If anyone's interested I think we should take advantage. PM me if interested - I could also start a new thread...

4. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

In the UK, they use Koko's in north London.

Apparently they have c&j supplied materials etc, but i understand they only carry out small repairs like heels etc as opposed to full resole. Presumably only the factory in Northampton have the original lasts needed for a full recraft.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

$,$$$ i think the cost will

6. Chuckie Egg

Thanks for your most helpful info. I asked for a sole & heel change (leather --> dainite resole) for a new pair of shoes bought direct from C&J, i thought it'd be done at the factory but C&J notified me it was done at their "repairer" and it's now ready.

I hope this doesn't count as a 3rd party repair that would invalidate future factory recrafting...?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

7. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

That makes sense if it was a new shoe. How much did they charge out of interest?

I wouldn't imagine it would cause any problems down the line, although I don't believe the C&J recraft offers particularly good value for money.

8. Chuckie Egg

Hello, C&J charged £60 for the change of sole for the new shoes.

9. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

How would I get rid of this liquid stain on my Selbournes?
    [​IMG]

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Any interest in a Tetbury mto? Just ordered black calf; wouldn't mind a calf or cordovan in an interesting colour (navy?).

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

A quick question for C&J (or anyone else who may already know this from personal experience):

- I have two pairs of C&J Audleys (one black, one brown) that I would like to return for re-crafting.

They both have Topy layers applied to the soles. The Topy layers were applied by a local cobbler.

Would C&J still accept the shoes for a re-craft?

(Note: The shoes are otherwise in totally original condition - they've never been re-heeled or otherwise altered from their original state, except for the application of the Topy layers.)

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Journeyman, just curious, why are they going back for re-crafting? or you just want to go back to leather sole?

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Both of them are worn down at the heels and the insoles are also quite worn, particularly on the brown pair, as I wear them a lot more than I do the black pair.

I might not send back the black pair because, as noted, they're not nearly as worn as the brown pair and I can have new Topy layers applied locally and hopefully a local cobbler can also fit a combination heel with a rubber toplift for the black pair.

However, given that the brown pair have served me very faithfully for quite a few years, it would be nice to have them professionally refurbished so that they can continue to serve me for many more years.

14. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

In my opinion they shouldn't care as they'll remove the entire sole irrespective of a topy on it or not. Having a topy doesn't change any of their processes I imagine, and it'll be pretty poor form if they said they wouldn't recraft it on that basis.

If push comes to shove you can take it to a cobbler to remove the topy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

15. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I've been looking for a #8 shell balmoral boot. I'm a big an of the EG Epsom, so maybe something with a contrast shaft. Kent Wang has a burg Balmorl boot, but it's calf. IIRC C&J's bal boot is the Somerville, so if anyone else is interested I'd do that in some sort of shell mockup.