1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

A few month back I found a decrepit pair of C&J Chepstows in a thrift shop. I sent them off to C&J for refurbishment. They came back today and I am very pleased. Before and after pics are up on my Tumblr (link is in my sig).

1 person likes this.
  2. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful colors

3. Tamyom

Tamyom Active Member

Hi.Thank you very much for all the praise on my boots shown a few pages back. To answer one of the questions raised, I am not the first owner and I confirm they have not been kept safely inside a closet during all these years. Although they were pampered just before I took the photos, they have been on the field and used as the rugged country boots they're expected to be. For the sake of science, and also to satisfy the curiosity of C&J aficionados, I just took some pictures side by side with my pair of Coniston. There are some explicit differences, one of them being the thickness of the leather on the uppers. The leather on the 70 year old boots is twice as thick as the leather of the Conistons. It seems also thicker and rougher than a pair of vintage Lotus veldtschoen boots I bought recently even though they are made of grain calf leather and not Zug grain. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

Side by side with the Coniston:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Half bellows tongue:

[​IMG]

Notice the "finesse" of the sole stitching compared to the Coniston, and the more rounded toe of course:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Just awesome. Really just incredible.

1 person likes this.
  5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Yeah those things are badass...its a shame that they dont make them like they used to

1 person likes this.
  6. Shoeproject

Shoeproject Well-Known Member

Fantastic, I would love to get my hands on a pair of those

1 person likes this.
  7. Shoeproject

Shoeproject Well-Known Member

Just looked at the pics. Amazing. They do have some skill in Northampton

2 people like this.
  8. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

You know it.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. Crat

Crat Senior member

Hm, not really to be honest.
    I just kinda put a spit-shine over the damage.

11. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

Does one generally get better pricing ordering from C&J in New York (no sales tax if shipped to another state) or from the UK factory (do they deduct VAT, and what is the shipping cost)?

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  12. TweedyProf

I'm just amazed that it worked so well. I might have to spit shine some black cap toes that have similar abrasions. So you did pretty much what you would do on a non-damaged shoe (e.g. no extra wax was needed?).

13. Crat

Crat Senior member

Yeah, normal spit shine. More wax was needed to fill up the 'ridges'.

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I have ordered from one of the stores on Jermyn St in London directly. On both those occasions, they deducted the VAT and shipped via Parcel Force (UK mail) which was transferred to the USPS and I paid no customs fees. The shipping was about £30 each time. I have never ordered from or priced at the New York store but compared to Barneys prices, you save money by going direct to C&J.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: i love this very much. makes me want to go back to school in a ride friendly town

16. MiamiLex

MiamiLex Well-Known Member

From recent experience, I ordered a pair of Skye II's from Jermyn street. Including shipping and a pair of shoe trees it came out to be $100 less than what the NY store quoted me for the boots alone.

I plan to go this route on future orders based off this experience. I also received better customer service from the Jermyn street shop than the NY shop (though I only communicated via email).

17. TweedyProf

Cheers, I'm going to give it a try.

18. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Let's say you get hit by customs, would you at least break even with the price at the New York store?

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

We'll need to get someone else to answer as I've never been dinged by customs so not sure what the charge or percentage is. My guess is it's going to be pretty close.

20. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Charges should be about 8.5% plus $12 to $30 or so fees depending on courier.
    That's assuming the sender fills out the customs form correctly and the courier's agent enters in the right tariff code.