** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Did you ever pull the trigger on these? if so, how'd it turn out?

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1

Were they really C&J and were they "spec'd down" in any way in terms of quality?

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Yep, they shipped today. Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post some pics when they show up. I currently have 9 pairs of C&J but 3 are benchgrade (Hallam, Lowndes, Westbourne) so I'll see how they compare to the benchgrade line. Judging by the pics the soles look identical. It would be great if the quality of the uppers and construction is benchgrade, but I'm ok if it's a notch below (and expecting it to be). For that price ($385 - $50 discount + $25 shipping) I'm ok as long as they are better than AEs.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Cool, really looking forward to the update! Might have to kop those suede ones

[​IMG]

or the chestnut brogues

[​IMG]

or the chestnut captoe

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

5. beez

beez Senior member

I received my first pair of C&J, all the way to the US from England. These Weymouths are totally beautiful. Unfortunately, they are a half size too big! Man, what a disappointment! These babies are kind of hard to find, so I am hoping I can work something out quickly.

I wear an 11D in AE Strands, and David and I at Pediwear figured a 10.5E would do the trick, but no dice; still too big.

It's tough to see such a great example of workmanship just sitting there...

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It's a bit odd that he recommended that you go down half-a-size. I think that most people (well, certainly me) go down a full size in C&Js. I'm a US10 and I take a UK9 in the 348 (benchgrade) and 337 (handgrade) lasts.

7. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Cheers! Think I've had them just short of three years, great pair of boots and pretty rare too - think they only did the Arran in rough-out for one season, or something like that.

Definitely agree that shoes with character are what you want; all nice things should age well with wear and minimal but proper care and that includes well-made clothes, footwear, furniture and our good selves [​IMG]

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

I guess he wanted to error on the larger side, and I also find C&J is a more roomy shoe on the same size compare to my other UK shoes.

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

From my personal experience (so not applicable to everyone!), C&J and JL are 1 size down from US, while EG and G&G are 1/2 size down. I've never really had any variations in sizing between lasts within a shoemaker.

10. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

They are Benchgrade level almost for sure, these are the Wilton I ordered last winter (after one size exchange I ended up returning them due to fit reasons)

[​IMG]

Maybe the only difference would be a more open quality control, the second pair I received honestly did not look like first quality, due to a weird crease in the side caused by lasting problem.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

11. CandJONLINE

CandJONLINE Well-Known Member

Hi, No, we do not mix widths when sending lines of shoes around the factory.

For fitting enquiries about Peal & Co shoes, you will need to speak to Brooks Brother. All we can confirm is that we only really supply D fitting shoes to US customers. You will however still find UK sizing in our own store in New York.

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

c&j can't be roomier than loake .
    I am a us 8eee and struggle with c&j sizing. uk 8 (medium or wide) in c&j is my safest option. Same with carmina I wear uk8. Loake i can fit into a uk7 - but prefer a uk 7.5.

13. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Great to hear! BTW, I asked before ordering and they said the US site calculates the US size for C&Js as UK +.5, not UK+1. Since I knew I wanted a UK9 I ordered a US9.5 and in the comments section made sure to specify that I wanted a UK9. They confirmed that they shipped a UK9.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Hold on, does this mean a Peal Co E width is not equivalent to a CJ F width then?!

If you only make UK D width shoes for BB, is a Peal Co E width shoe simply your CJ E width as well? :confused:

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hi C&J,

Can you confirm the discussion above about the Shipton and Hineage shoes? Are they made to regular benchgrade standards, or lower?

Thanks!