** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

That's great to hear! Thanks for the response. Ok guys, any interest in a cordovan boot?

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

othertravel, I saw the words "cordovan" and "boot" and immediately my interest was piqued. Many people have, and love, the brogued C&J for Ralph Lauren Lindricks. The same could be said for the Skyy and Islay C&J boots, both are both very nice. But since I already have the Marlow wingtip shoe and an Alden LWB I feel that I am sufficiently stocked with cordovan wintip footwear. I don't want cap toes because I already have two Alden pct boots. The C&J boot which really caught my eye was the Harlech. I'm thinking the richest cordovan color available from C&J in a Harlech type boot on double leather soles that has all eyelets with only a medallion on the toe box, a really cool and unique medallion unlike any other commonly available today. I'm thinking late nineteenth century, early twentieth, the gilded golden age, roaring twenties. Something very dapper, dare I say dandified. Thanks for the inspiration. Daydreaming complete.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. rc121

rc121 Senior member

C&J, Does the different sizing for a MTO also include different widths? I would most likely be a G fitting in most of your lasts, so can I assume that I'd be able to order a G fitting while others order E or F (of course keeping in mind that not all lasts are available in a G fitting). One additional note that you may be able to answer is in regards to the Peal & Co made by C&J for Brooks Brothers. Are the width fittings listed on the shoes US widths or UK widths? I ask because I've tried on an E width in the 341 last and it did not feel at all like a UK F width. Just curious. Thanks

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

5. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

What color leather is that?

7. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

Oak (wax hide)

The suggestion of a 'wax hide' lends itself to a rather dull finish but in fact these are identical to a dress shoes finish. I believe others have commented that their boots take a nice shine.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is wax hide like CXL?

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

No, I have northcore and it is wax calf as well, definitely not CXL. I have no idea what it exactly is, but more water repellent I suppose. You can get mirror shine on wax calf, though I don't bother.

10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I think that the wax calf on the Northcote is a different kettle of fish to the Snowdon's although happy to be corrected. I know that the Snowdon calf is made by Horween and is pretty damn water resistant, as you'd hope for their sturdiest outdoor boot.

I wouldn't bother trying to maintain a shine on them because it smears easily and, more importantly, shiny outdoor boots tend to look a little silly when worn with the kind of matte clothes (tweed, denim, moleskin, flannel) that you'd most likely wear them with...

11. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

wow hoping to see how the S&H shoes turn out. would love to get a suede pair.

12. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Got an email from them and I should receive them on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post some pics then.

13. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

My first ever C&J, the Arran in rough out, after a hard day's paintballing. I was actually going to wear the Snowdon, but rain was forecast and I didn't fancy getting bogged down with a clogged-up commando sole in the mud. Soon found out that the half-bellows tongue on the Snowdown would have been useful as the mud in places was deep enough to get in round the sides of the tongue. Otherwise fantastic boots for the terrain.

My apologies to those who baby their footwear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Henkie

Henkie Active Member

I've been thinking about a cordovan chukka...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  15. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Haha, great post. Boots love some beating, please post some pics of how they look after you cleaned them.