• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone confirm with me the Barney's sizing system for C&Js? They do note "11US/10UK".  I would be a 10UK confirmed in the 348 purchased from the UK.  But I had heard that they are a half size large still.  

It's a crapshoot, unless you are in the store to try 'em on there are no guarantees. The Barney's Tetbury is on the 348 but I tried a US 10D and 9.5D and the 9.5D was still longer in length and more narrow in width than all my UK 9E shoes in 348. My Barney's Cliffords seem to be the normal US D = UK E +1. I ordered a US 10 in the Malton but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would they finish a pair in tan if one asked? I would love a pair of Skye in tan.

The other question was: would C&J make a pair of boots with lace holes all the way up rather than having those horrible metal "claws" on the upper half which make a mess of the trousers.

1. A Skye in tan ("chestnut") would be a made-to-order shoe, with an upcharge.

2. Probably (see the words after the comma in #1). BTW the proper term for "lace hole" is "eyelet"; for "horrible metal claw" it's "speed hook".

If you are in the US there's a store in New York on W. 56th btwn Fifth and Sixth Avenues that can answer all your questions and take a substantial amount of your money.

Bellemastiff

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm with me the Barney's sizing system for C&Js? They do note "11US/10UK". I would be a 10UK confirmed in the 348 purchased from the UK. But I had heard that they are a half size large still.

In my experience they "seem" to be a half size down. BUT I have heard conflicting reports. I emailed C&J about it and to be honest their reply didn't seem "authoritative" but they also suggested Barneys sized 1/2 size.

I am a between a US 10D and 10.5D. I purchased some Barneys C&J's in size 10D earlier and they ended up being ever so slightly too snug. I'm guessing they were a UK9.5 (but I can't rule out that they were a 9UK).

Now I have a new pair of the same shoe (Coniston) in a UK 10 and they fit great. It's the UK toe boxes that are the issue, IMO. I'm done with wearing "snug fitting shoes". Life is too short.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only sure thing is that they are a narrow Uk D width, as stated by the /4 on the insole.

Consider this if you compare them to your UK E size (/5 writed on insole)

Last edited:

Bellemastiff

Reaction score
The only sure thing is that they are a narrow Uk D width, as stated by the /4 on the insole.

I'm not sure about this. Seems odd to me if they (Barney's) would only carry one width -- and that that width would be a narrow width, rather than Standard/US-D width.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure about this. Seems odd to me if they (Barney's) would only carry one width -- and that that width would be a narrow width, rather than Standard/US-D width.

It is considered by vendors a standard US width.
C&J (like Eg, Trickers) have only one scale for width

C&J marked D are truly narrower than the ones marked as E (and not identical and just conversion)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/177625/uk-or-us-sizing-c-j-for-bb

The sizing used for lenght is controversial as previously stated, but the one used for width seems to be clear.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've definitely gotten both E and D widths from Barneys and other US retailers, definitely not clear what you are going to get unless you see in person.

Sample size ~15 pairs about even split for me

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not sure. The Barney's insole is marked the size on the box, i.e. 4 for a US D. It really is a crapshoot IMO. The Tetbury's are really oddly sized, US 9.5 D was longer and more narrow than UK 9E, but my new Maltons which arrived today seem to be normally sized. (Yay!) Sorry for the crappy cell pics but here's a pic of the box, and they even note E next to the last, but the insole is still marked "10/4." I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Barney's Maltons are US 10D = UK 9E. Barney's Tetburys in brown calf seem to be US 9.5D = UK 9.5D or something bizarre like that.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any other 360 last shoes but if someone else has a UK9E in that last, I'll gladly take sole measurements tonight of my Barney's US10D to compare.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Ben Silver has Skye in tan color.

1. A Skye in tan ("chestnut") would be a made-to-order shoe, with an upcharge.

2. Probably (see the words after the comma in #1). BTW the proper term for "lace hole" is "eyelet"; for "horrible metal claw" it's "speed hook".

If you are in the US there's a store in New York on W. 56th btwn Fifth and Sixth Avenues that can answer all your questions and take a substantial amount of your money.

Thank you guys. I live in the UK but by the sounds of it I don't think I will be goin down the route of made-to-order. As bad as it may sound I dont intend to pay any more than their existing price really. I suppose the other question will be: how difficult would it be to change the colour of the shoes by myself? I.e. could I remove the dark brown colour and apply tan colour to them instead? Does this pose a danger to the shoes?

PS: Thank you for clarifying the names for the eyelet and speed hook. I wasnt sure what they were called so I had to use the best description I could think of.
shog[1].gif

PSS: By the way the Chestnut colour is too dark compared to the tan I have in mind. The tan I am thinking off is the one that leans more on the goldish side of the spectrum.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not sure. The Barney's insole is marked the size on the box, i.e. 4 for a US D. It really is a crapshoot IMO. The Tetbury's are really oddly sized, US 9.5 D was longer and more narrow than UK 9E, but my new Maltons which arrived today seem to be normally sized. (Yay!) Sorry for the crappy cell pics but here's a pic of the box, and they even note E next to the last, but the insole is still marked "10/4." I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Barney's Maltons are US 10D = UK 9E. Barney's Tetburys in brown calf seem to be US 9.5D = UK 9.5D or something bizarre like that.

Thanks for posting this, very very strange sizing...

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for posting this, very very strange sizing...

Yup, I have the Barneys versions of the Cliffords, Maltons, and Wickows, but had to return the Tetburys. I'm happy to take measurements if anyone wants a US 10D / UK 9E.

mikeharo

Reaction score
I'm looking for sizing advice for the Cavendish. My brannock size is 8.5. I was fit at C&J nyc for the cheam, 341 last, in 7E. Barrie shoes in size 8US fit very well. Any advice on the 325 last?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm with me the Barney's sizing system for C&Js? They do note "11US/10UK".  I would be a 10UK confirmed in the 348 purchased from the UK.  But I had heard that they are a half size large still.  

It's a crapshoot, unless you are in the store to try 'em on there are no guarantees. The Barney's Tetbury is on the 348 but I tried a US 10D and 9.5D and the 9.5D was still longer in length and more narrow in width than all my UK 9E shoes in 348. My Barney's Cliffords seem to be the normal US D = UK E +1. I ordered a US 10 in the Malton but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

The first sentence = :nodding: My experience has been hit and miss, and nothing if not frustrating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads