1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Technica

Technica Active Member

Dear all,

First of all thanks for those who helped me choose between the Coniston and the Northcote!

I have recently purchased the dark Brown Northcotes from C&J, just last saturday.

However, I noticed that the front part of the sole is starting to come off and revealing white stuff underneath?! Please see photos.

Is this normal or faulty?!

Its rather disappointing that a pair of £430 boots are like this after only a few days...would I qualify a refund? (shoes have been worn only twice).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I think they are great! The Dainite is Dainite (not an off-brand) and is stitched on, not just glued like some manufacturers. The leather is a pretty great British tan color that I have a feeling will age really well and develop a great patina. These boots are a steal at this price!

1 person likes this.
  3. Fred G. Unn

Faulty, but not a big deal. C&J stitches their rubber soles (is that Dainite?) so it won't come off past the stitching, but cosmetically it's a bummer as the glue failed there. If you are near the C&J store that you purchased them from I'm sure they would fix it for you. If not, any cobbler can glue that down, or just use something like Shoe Goo and do it yourself.

4. Fred G. Unn

From C&J? Or another maker? After this purchase, I think I'm pretty set in the tan tall boot department with suede, grain, and smooth.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Hi Fred, question for you and others who bought the Purdey coniston. I'm not a fan or tan shoes that are too light, and instead prefer a darker shade and certainly darker brown shades.

You mention it will develop a great patina, what's your take on how light the shoe is?

6. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

Alden Greenwich Boot from Leffot.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fred G. Unn

Hopefully you can tell a little bit from the pic I posted right above your post. That's the AS Cambridge in snuff suede, Vass cognac scotch grain, and the C&J Purdey boot. It is fairly light, but I have a feeling that leather will darken up a bit with age more than most leathers. I'm curious if others that bought it agree.

8. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

[​IMG]

^ Now you only need different colours.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

personally I think that tan shade is a really nice color, especially if you have a bunch of mid brown already

1 person likes this.
  10. Fred G. Unn

LOL! Well, the C&J Purdey boot is my 17th boot, so I'm pretty well covered. No green/loden yet though ...

11. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

12. laufer

laufer Senior member

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

17 pair of boots??. ...and no green colour yet?.

Now you have a green problem. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. goosetown

goosetown New Member

I've been wanting a pair of C&J Skye IIIs for awhile. So I finally bit the bullet and got a pair. I typically wear a 9.5G in a Church or a 10D in an Alden Barrie last. After speaking with the guys at C&J in NY, I opted for the 9.5E (UK).

When I put the boots on, they felt pretty good. After wearing them around the house for 10 minutes, I noticed my smaller foot felt like it was moving around. So I tied the shoe as tight as I could. After wearing awhile longer, the boot felt okay, but was laced from leather to leather. I'm not used to my shoes needed to be laced as tightly this tightly. My toebox is typically an E width on a Brannock device. After speaking with the NY store, they sent me a thin C&J insole, but the shoe still needs to be laced from leather to leather, otherwise, I get quite a lot of slippage in the heels. The shoe on my bigger foot feels ok, but it's still laced quite tightly. I also hate the idea of having any insole on such a nice shoe.

I need your thoughts. Is this shoe a bad fit? Or is it typical for the C&J Skye III to be laced this tightly? If they break in, will I end up with a shoe that's not a good fit?

15. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

Thanks they look like they could take a beating...Did you treat them with suede water proofing spray? Do you happen to know if they are C&J and if so which last? I know the grain boots are the Coniston on the 325 last but these have 5 speed hooks and sleeker toe box

16. laufer

laufer Senior member

I did not treat them with anything, I do not think they need it. They have 5 speed hooks but they are on 325 last most definitely.

17. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

Thanks now its time to pull the trigger... I have the galway 2 on the 325 that I love but for some reason they aren't well represented in this tread

18. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You need some green.
    [​IMG]

19. mosy

mosy Senior member

What is the most cost effective way to buy a new pair of the standard stock Harlech (dark brown shell, double leather sole)?

20. stewartu

stewartu Senior member

Sounds like they are just too big. Size down perhaps?