1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cooper'

Cooper' Member

I have a pair on the way, do they only take money orders or perhaps cash or check?

2. Sym

Sym Senior member

I called UPS beforehand and paid with CC.

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

I was told money order or cashier's check. No CC, cash or personal check.

4. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Alright, great news the boots fit perfectly! Looks like I'm a UK 11.5 and not 12, very glad I went with the smaller of the two. Also with my worry from a week ago asking here if they are too light I think not and instead they look great. These are keepers that will age nicely.

Some maiden pics from a few minutes ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

How did you pay without getting an invoice first? Don't they need an invoice number?

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I picked them up from UPS a couple weeks ago (actually my wife did).
    Tracking info said that there was something due for duty/taxes but they didn't collect anything at time of pick up.
    Yesterday a bill came in the mail.

They don't accept cash or cc but I've always been able to write a check either for the driver at the door or when picking up at UPS station.

7. Sym

Sym Senior member

I paid after it passed customs, all I needed was the tracking number. Although I had to contact Purdeys as they did not initially send the tracking.

8. Allen Dreadmon

I see. Thanks. I never thought of asking them for a tracking number!

9. Allen Dreadmon

PSA (sort of). I emailed Purdey last week and requested a price adjustment for the Islays since they were further reduced. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I just got confirmation for a refund for difference (62 pounds)!

Edit: Just to add, the Islays are now sold out, and even still, my size was no longer available when I emailed them, but they still honoured the lowest sale price. Now that's customer service!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You guys need to sign up for UPS MyChoice.
    It alerts you when there's a package headed to your address. Packages often show up in the app before the retailer sends something.
    There's a FedEx equivalent.
    They're both quite handy for having packages held for pickup too.

Allegedly the USPS has something similar but I've never got it to work.

11. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

So what was the final price in USD

12. Allen Dreadmon

13. Allen Dreadmon

Thanks for the reminder! I am signed up but didn't update my US shipping address.

Fyi - I paid $32 in duties and brokerage fee.

14. Mutombo

Mutombo Senior member

I called and paid via CC while the driver waited in my office lobby with the package since I didn't have a check or MO on hand. They notified him I'd paid and he left the package with me.

15. mosy

mosy Senior member

Sizing help needed please:

On the Brannock I am an 8.5 heel-to-toe but 9 heel-to-ball. So in most shoes I need to get 9D for proper fit.

I recently bought the BB short wing blucher in brown shell and the dark brown captoe boot in suede. Both are on the 240 last. For the blucher, size 9 was too long - too much slippage. So I went with the 8.5, even though the ball area was a bit snugger than I like. (I'm hoping they'll loosen up with some wear.)

For the boot, since I'll be wearing with a slightly thicker sock, and since I can secure my foot better with the boot lacing, I went with the 9.

Now, I want to get a Harlech and maybe a Bradford. Both are on the 341 last. My question is, are these two lasts (240/341) similar enough (in sizing) that I can make the same calculation - 8.5 for the shoe and 9 for the boot? Or does this last fit completely different - and if so, what size(s) should I be getting for the 341 shoe and boot?

Any and all guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

16. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

We're comparing US and UK sizes so it may be tough. I am a Brannock US 9D and my shell Harlechs are a UK 8E. My Marlows (Penny, Tassel, and Wingtips) are all US 8.5D.

17. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks. I'm going under the premise that 9D = 8E and 8.5D = 7.5E. but since in the 341 last I got different sizes for boot and shoe, should I be doing the same for the 241?

18. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I'm not familiar with the 240 last at all, but can tell you I am pretty comfortable in the Harlechs with a dress sock. I don't think I would be comfortable with thick socks in those.

19. andrewnguyen

andrewnguyen Member

Xpost from Australian Forum

CJ Vincent in 363. Should have sized down from my usual 8.5UK, so now cannot wear it without socks. Is there any chance you guys can give me some tips about this? :)

[​IMG]

20. itbegins

itbegins Senior member

Did anyone's Purdey boots come with shoe bags?