• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

CTBrummie

Reaction score

I don't believe so, no. I don't think that it matters whether there is one of you or several of you, C&J charges about 50% more (well, considerably more, anyway) for an MTO shoe.

I came close to putting in a special order last year fora variation on a Snowdon boot.

The price quoted was £675, bearing in mind this was relative to last season's prices.

I placed the order, paid, and then word came back from the factory that there was an additional charge of fifty quid for veldtschoen construction. This put the cost within reach of a pair of Galways, so I cancelled the order and headed down to Jermyn Street and bought a pair...

Love C&J but they angled themselves out of a sale on that day.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would appear they have little interested in indulging a large MTO operation. As busy as they seem to be (regarding their vendors always being out of stock), I don't blame them...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this info has already been posted, but I was inquiring about a few of the models that C&J makes for Shipton & Heneage. S&H was kind enough to confirm they were C&J and share the last #s so I thought I'd pass the info on.

From their email:
"The lasts are as follows:-
Albemarle 297
Blandford 236
Fitzroy 236
Winchester 236
Bingham 240"

I don't see 240 or 297 listed on C&Js site so they must be older lasts I suppose. The Fitzroy is on the 236 so I'm guessing Fitzroy = Connaught? The toe shape looks different on S&Hs site, I wouldn't have thought that was 236.

http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens-shoes.html
If you filter by Construction: Goodyear and Price: Descending I think that most (if not all) of the $385 shoes are C&J. The leather soled shoes definitely look like C&J and any of the shoes where you can see any of the inside printing it looks like C&J.

Does anyone know if these are made to benchgrade standards? If so they seem like a steal for $385! If not, what is less about the quality? The leather quality of the uppers? Other construction? The soles look the same to me. Anyone familiar with the 240 or 297 lasts?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on these Winchesters:
http://www.shipton-usa.com/winchester-mens-black-calf-half-brogue.html

Any reason not to? $385 for C&J seems like a really good deal. If anyone has had a negative experience with Shiptons C&Js I'd love to hear.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Those Shipton shoes will have been made to a standard relative to their intended retail price.

If the standard retail on those is less than C&J then it's a pretty safe bet that the quality is too.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ordered the Tetbury; 3-4 weeks before they're restocked.

I ordered a pair of C&J Tetburys from the Edwards of Manchester sale on Sunday, they shipped on Monday, and DHL attempted deliver on Wednesday. When I ordered, they had black calf and dark brown suede, each in a range of sizes. Unless you want brown calfskin, you may want to cancel your order and order from EoM (check the thread in Menswear). At just over 400 USD, shipped, the price wasn't bad and I'll have them in about 4 days.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those Shipton shoes will have been made to a standard relative to their intended retail price.

If the standard retail on those is less than C&J then it's a pretty safe bet that the quality is too.

That was my initial reaction too, but those sure look like benchgrade soles. I currently have 9 pairs of C&Js so I might take a shot at those and see how they compare. If the uppers seems significantly below my other benchgrade calf shoes (Hallam, Westbourne, Lowndes) when they arrive I suppose I can always return them.

At that price they seem like a pretty good deal as long as they are superior to AE.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered a pair of C&J Tetburys from the Edwards of Manchester sale on Sunday, they shipped on Monday, and DHL attempted deliver on Wednesday. When I ordered, they had black calf and dark brown suede, each in a range of sizes. Unless you want brown calfskin, you may want to cancel your order and order from EoM (check the thread in Menswear). At just over 400 USD, shipped, the price wasn't bad and I'll have them in about 4 days.

Actually placed my order through EoM but they were out of my size. They're still honoring the sale price though.

Skyfall has been huge for C&J. The NYC store told me that the Tets are constantly selling out. And credit to DC for not using Edward Green; I prefer to keep my shoe purchases at under $1k'

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, if you sign up for S&Hs "Discount Club" they send you a coupon for $50 off so the Winchesters were $335 + $25 shipping for C&Js. When they arrive, I'll take a few pics and report back how they compare to C&J benchgrade.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Any vendors that can do a group C&J MTO? We see it with carmina a lot, but not with C&J.

Hi othertravel, we do offer group MTO buys but it has to be organised through one of our shops.

What tends to happen is that one of our staff is asked repeatedly for a style in a colour way that we do not run or for a style that was discontinued a few years back. When the member of our retail team has 6-12 like-minded customers, asking for say Coniston in black grain, they phone them all back asking if they are still interested. If yes, they are able to place a single line of MTO orders (all the same spec, different sizes) and send to the factory.

The reason it is only offered through our shops is that you must pay for your shoes in advance and it tends to only work if you have had C&J's before or are able to go in for a fitting. The advantage being, that you pay retail and not special order pricing.

If you are interested in this, we would recommend contacting one of our shops, registering interest in your collective chosen style, once enough people have registered interest, the member of staff will be able to phone customers back to take payment thus enabling them to place an MTO order!

Kind Regards,
Crockett & Jones Online

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
It would appear they have little interested in indulging a large MTO operation. As busy as they seem to be (regarding their vendors always being out of stock), I don't blame them...

Hi JubeiSpiegel, I think you confusing MTO with Special Orders. Special orders are single pairs that are sent around the factory on their lonesome! Obviously this is the most inefficient way of producing any product, let alone a luxury product with such an in depth manufacturing process, thus the increased price.

Wholesale MTO is one of Crockett & Jones biggest strengths which is why when you visit many of our wholesale customers around the world (if you are lucky enough) you will see a huge mix of styles and colour specific to their own customers tastes.

We understand it is difficult as many of the manufacturers work with their own terminology.

Crockett & Jones Online

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads