• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen, this was helpful. I’m looking into MTO:ing a Snowdon in some sort of scotch grain, with the veldtschoen construction. I know scotch grain is no Zug but would not want the leather to be too much of a weak link.

The scotch grain will not let you down.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you put the balm after the polish? I put renovateur, cream, polish, and then on boots the sapphire spray.
I'm thinking maybe the balm is a better option than the spray.

I put the balm on before the polish. The first thing I did was give a light coat with Pavlov's leather balm, then I put on cream polish and wax polish when I first got my shoes.

Haven't had any problem with the shoes letting rain in.

Gustaf

Reaction score
I put the balm on before the polish. The first thing I did was give a light coat with Pavlov's leather balm, then I put on cream polish and wax polish when I first got my shoes.

Haven't had any problem with the shoes letting rain in.

It’s strange but I salivate every time I read this.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s strange but I salivate every time I read this.

merlin_214038735_39a787d1-0ffb-48a5-a15f-3af53046fdff-articleLarge.jpg

Welcome to the club.

Reaction score
Has anyone owned/tried both C&J Harvard Shell Cordovan and Alden LHS, and could share thoughts on how they compare?

I’m looking to get some penny’s and I think I like the look of Alden better. But it’s not very available in my country and quite expensive.

The Harvard looks similar in terms of styling (I just slightly prefer the stitching and rounder toebox on the LHS) and quite a bit cheaper.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone owned/tried both C&J Harvard Shell Cordovan and Alden LHS, and could share thoughts on how they compare?

I’m looking to get some penny’s and I think I like the look of Alden better. But it’s not very available in my country and quite expensive.

The Harvard looks similar in terms of styling (I just slightly prefer the stitching and rounder toebox on the LHS) and quite a bit cheaper.

Having recently handled both those pairs of shoes, I can tell you the overall appearance of the Harvard is more refined. The Harvard offers you a smaller footprint as the sole is cut closer to the upper versus the way the LHS is cut. The toe box and heel are also higher on the LHS. The vamp stitching is flatter on the Harvard as opposed to a bit of protrusion from the LHS.

If you are after a more casual loafer, then the LHS is the clear choice. The Harvard is a little smarter.

Cordovan quality will be the same. Interiors, if any linings, and soles goes to CJ.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of value if you were curious, which doesn't sound like it matters since the Alden's appeal to you more aesthetically, but the CJ Harvards in Cordovan are essentially a Hand Grade CJ shoe minus the channelled sole. That basically means you are purchasing a CJ HG shoe at market price and receiving the leather free of charge.

Reaction score
In terms of value if you were curious, which doesn't sound like it matters since the Alden's appeal to you more aesthetically, but the CJ Harvards in Cordovan are essentially a Hand Grade CJ shoe minus the channelled sole. That basically means you are purchasing a CJ HG shoe at market price and receiving the leather free of charge.

Thanks for the info! Very useful. I have to say the Harvards are becoming more and more appealing for me. Alden's pricing here is approaching John Lobb/EG territory which is probably overpriced.

Unfortunately for me, both are out of stock in my size at my local stores. I have no idea when they'll get restocked. I guess C&J need to import that Horween leather from the US. I am thinking of popping over the pond to NYC at some point so could get Alden's for cheaper. But lets see what happens.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Very useful. I have to say the Harvards are becoming more and more appealing for me. Alden's pricing here is approaching John Lobb/EG territory which is probably overpriced.

Unfortunately for me, both are out of stock in my size at my local stores. I have no idea when they'll get restocked. I guess C&J need to import that Horween leather from the US. I am thinking of popping over the pond to NYC at some point so could get Alden's for cheaper. But lets see what happens.

On paper or a spec sheet, I'd agree that the Aldens are overpriced. That said, if you are after that aesthetic there isn't another option (Grant Stone's loafer is apparently similar).

If you are indeed making your way to NYC, let the fit and aesthetic influence your decision. Hopefully both the CJ and Alden stores will have your desired models available. Nothing can replicate the feeling of trying them on in person or seeing how they look on your feet. Here's hoping that's an option for you. 🤞🏻

newtboots123

Reaction score
I can't see the Walton 2 work in tan, chestnut maybe. I would really struggle to wear and pair a tan sleek derby, tan works well with jeans but the Walton is too sleek for denim.

I would leave it as it is and let develop a beautiful natural patina. Btw Crockett and Jones dark brown is incredibly rich and deep if that's your concern
Great comment thanks. To be honest am finding this forum more helpful than C&J reps.

Yes my hesitation with Walton in dark brown is potentially too sleek/formal for most of my wear. With denim I was only thinking of going with very dark/deep blue, but even then you're probably right.

I want a sort of day to day smart casual (chinos + dress shirt for work), I'm fine with somewhat sleek (maybe walton a bit too much). Not meaning any offense but I do find some of the lasts too "middle aged English country", but there's probably a middle ground between that and the Walton, which I guess works better with suits/formal chinos.

Braid

Reaction score
Great comment thanks. To be honest am finding this forum more helpful than C&J reps.

Yes my hesitation with Walton in dark brown is potentially too sleek/formal for most of my wear. With denim I was only thinking of going with very dark/deep blue, but even then you're probably right.

I want a sort of day to day smart casual (chinos + dress shirt for work), I'm fine with somewhat sleek (maybe walton a bit too much). Not meaning any offense but I do find some of the lasts too "middle aged English country", but there's probably a middle ground between that and the Walton, which I guess works better with suits/formal chinos.
I am glad you are finding the forum helpful.

It helps to know how you intend to pair the shoes. For me the ultimate shoes/boots that you can easily dress up or down are chukka boots in suede, you can easily pair them with denim for beer at a pub or with chino and even flannel for a day in the office. Have you looked at the CJ Chiltern?

If you instead want a shoes and have similar flexibility you could consider the Pembroke in dark brown. If it's too country for your test than you could consider the Swansea or Bristol (both on offer) or the Ripon, but these can't be paired with denim in my opinion. In any case I would stay with dark brown, which is the easiest colour to pair, only the Chiltern would probably work well in a lighter shade like snuff suede.

newtboots123

Reaction score

It helps to know how you intend to pair the shoes. For me the ultimate shoes/boots that you can easily dress up or down are chukka boots in suede, you can easily pair them with denim for beer at a pub or with chino and even flannel for a day in the office. Have you looked at the CJ Chiltern?

If you instead want a shoes and have similar flexibility you could consider the Pembroke in dark brown. If it's too country for your test than you could consider the Swansea or Bristol (both on offer) or the Ripon, but these can't be paired with denim in my opinion. In any case I would stay with dark brown, which is the easiest colour to pair, only the Chiltern would probably work well in a lighter shade like snuff suede.
Thanks!

Yes when I say pairing with denim for these I more mean occasional dark blue denim with a work shirt for casual office, rather than weekend casual for pubs. But majority of time would be for a smart casual chinos and work shirt at the office, or Sunday best type Wimbledon attire for example.

newtboots123

Reaction score

Quite like the look of the Bristol but sold out.

I tried the rippon on in store, fit felt a bit better than Walton (potentially too narrow), but the Walton was on offer so same price and I was interested in trying the handgrade, also prefer city sole to dainite (a bit chunky with a dress shoe IMO)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads