• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Gustaf

Reaction score
Artsy fartsy.

E34E6E15-4D72-4D90-B991-843460A81884.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Crockett and Jones use different thickness of leather on their shoes and boots. I recently purchased a pair of Brecan and the leather feels much more supple than my Conistons and Isla but also feel thinner.
This could just be the difference between Scotch grain and country grain but my first thought when feeling them side by side is that the leather is thinner.

It might just be that the leather is also thicker because it needs to be on the Coniston and Isla. The Chukka leather was probably split (made thinner) in order to better conform to the last. The thinner leather will produce a better looking finished product versus something that would look bulkier (like the Conistons) in this style of shoe.

chrfi

Reaction score
First day of wearing these. I have to say I'm impressed, they are very comfortable with the 325 last and the dainite sole is not as hard as it is on some other boots I have. The shop I bought them from had treated them nicely with Reno and polished the toecap a bit, esthetic which I like.

oEJeuDh.jpg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day of wearing these. I have to say I'm impressed, they are very comfortable with the 325 last and the dainite sole is not as hard as it is on some other boots I have. The shop I bought them from had treated them nicely with Reno and polished the toecap a bit, esthetic which I like.

oEJeuDh.jpg

Do you also have Islay on the 365? If so, I'd be interested to know how they compare.

chrfi

Reaction score
Do you also have Islay on the 365? If so, I'd be interested to know how they compare.

My other pairs of C&J's are on the 341 and 348 last. The 341 fits me well, just as well as the 325 while the 341 is of course a bit slimmer. 348 is significantly larger and does not fit me well, I've tried twice and just sold a pair of Northcote boots after only a few wears.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Has anyone owned/tried both C&J Harvard Shell Cordovan and Alden LHS, and could share thoughts on how they compare?

I’m looking to get some penny’s and I think I like the look of Alden better. But it’s not very available in my country and quite expensive.

The Harvard looks similar in terms of styling (I just slightly prefer the stitching and rounder toebox on the LHS) and quite a bit cheaper.

I too like the looks of the LHS, especially the hand stitching. The casual look of the LHS pairs well with denim. To my eye, the Harvard looks a little less rustic.

The Harvard has nicer finishing and seems to have been put together with more care. Alden puts a heavy coat of something on the shell; for the most part CJ let the shell speak for itself.

It’s worth noting that the Harvard is unlined and the shell LHS is lined (except for the discontinued Brooks Brothers version). The lined shell LHS is a bit too warm for me in the summer here in New York.

There are of course fit differences: the Harvard has more room over the instep than the LHS, but perhaps a little less at the ball.

Style989

Reaction score
I have 365 and 325. I much prefer 365. 325 maybe looks better but 365 feels so much better, to me anyway. So much so that I'm thinking of sending my conistons to be re-lasted to 365. Same size in both if that helps. 365 is a nicer, tighter fit for me

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 365 and 325. I much prefer 365. 325 maybe looks better but 365 feels so much better, to me anyway. So much so that I'm thinking of sending my conistons to be re-lasted to 365. Same size in both if that helps. 365 is a nicer, tighter fit for me

Thanks. 365 is a perfect boot last for me, which makes me think that 325 is going to be a little snug across the ball and instep.

chrfi

Reaction score

That is interesting, as C&J says about 365 "our most generous fitting last in the collection". The 325 is not super roomy, but I find it very comfortable. I have Galway 2's and now the Conistons with that last.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads