• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Gustaf

Reaction score
I think that may be it. I’ve never had to do much with cxl as it’s fairly greasy, I was told the hurricane hide was one of the best CJ uses so interested to see how your pair ages and my original thought was conditioning too early would deprive you of that. Personal preference though.
I love shoe maintenance but I’ve learned to be patient. Now, it’s very rare when I do anything to a new pair.

I hear you. Challenge not to treat them prematurely hereby accepted. I rather look forward to it, will be interesting.

Incidentally, I checked the Shoe care section of C&J’s website: no word on how to treat hurricane hide.

D43AFCA9-FACE-4A03-8DFA-852AB3CFBDFD.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you. Challenge not to treat them prematurely hereby accepted. I rather look forward to it, will be interesting.

Incidentally, I checked the Shoe care section of C&J’s website: no word on how to treat hurricane hide.

View attachment 1790157
Damn dude, to quote my man @George Red those things are LIT 🔥 these have now been added to my must have list.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn dude, to quote my man @George Red those things are LIT 🔥 these have now been added to my must have list.
Absolutely amazing boots. For what it’s worth, I own the Ross in chocolate hurricane cowhide and I took them through a massive rainstorm. Not a single stain on them. Don’t treat them. Let them age. The character these boots will acquire will be awesome.

Avid Runner

Reaction score

View attachment 1790157
I'd been considering ordering a pair of these boots since DR first offered them in late February, but thought the color might be too light. Your photos convinced me otherwise. Just purchased a pair; thank you for the nudge!

BTW, these will be my first pair of C&J boots (or shoes). Looking forward to wearing these for years to come.

Gustaf

Reaction score
I'd been considering ordering a pair of these boots since DR first offered them in late February, but thought the color might be too light. Your photos convinced me otherwise. Just purchased a pair; thank you for the nudge!

BTW, these will be my first pair of C&J boots (or shoes). Looking forward to wearing these for years to come.

Congrats! Yes, my pair is slightly darker than the product images on the DR website would suggest. I was also on the fence for a bit for the same reason you mention, but went ahead anyway, thinking I could always darken them. As it turns out, no need. Also, the leather is very smooth and supple. You will not be disappointed.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Congrats! Yes, my pair is slightly darker than the product images on the DR website would suggest. I was also on the fence for a bit for the same reason you mention, but went ahead anyway, thinking I could always darken them. As it turns out, no need. Also, the leather is very smooth and supple. You will not be disappointed.

Ya those are fantastic, I looked at them again and again when DR first posted them. Love that Moray too, but the heel is a bit tall for my liking. I agree with the others here too - give them a good long time before conditioning and see what this amazing leather does!

Moostyle

Reaction score

View attachment 1790157
Very nice looking shoes. They do not look worlds away from the Harlechs in Whiskey shell, although the price at $750 is close enough that I would only buy the Harlechs.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Would the the Upton suffice for a wet commute or should I consider the Chiltern?

Would the Chiltern be a little heavy to wear with a high-twist suit?

Stiglitz

Reaction score
I have the Chiltern and it is a bit heavy for a suit. Would also recommend you try before buying, as you will see numerous times if you search, it is an odd fit & not for everyone. I haven’t tried the Upton, but it does look more suited to a more casual style suit by having the city sole & sounds like the last is a sensible adjustment to the Chiltern last

Gustaf

Reaction score
Ya those are fantastic, I looked at them again and again when DR first posted them. Love that Moray too, but the heel is a bit tall for my liking. I agree with the others here too - give them a good long time before conditioning and see what this amazing leather does!

If the Moray was on Dainite or Ridgeway, it would be instant noodles for me the rest of this month.

Very nice looking shoes. They do not look worlds away from the Harlechs in Whiskey shell, although the price at $750 is close enough that I would only buy the Harlechs.

I see what you mean, but to me these two leathers are still different enough in look, feel and use to warrant having both. Plus, I don't see the Harlech and the Coniston as mutually exclusive. The different toe boxes in particular give each its own character. I am actually trying to keep myself from buying a Harlech (don't want to go down that rabbit hole) but do hope to add a Coniston in whisky shell in the near future.

By the way, my landed cost for these was about $1,100... $750 would be a bargain!

orionz06

Reaction score
Totally different, even out of the box, but after some wears it'll be a world of difference. The leather is like a Horween CXL and will patina amazingly. I'd love to do an MTO of that boot with speedhooks like every other Coniston.

Joe Compass

Reaction score
C&J are a funny old firm. They're caught between a rock and a hard place. Do they go super upmarket or stay relatively affordable? IMHO they have some of the best lasts out there. I had a reverse calf suede Oxford that would have put Edward Green to shame. I had another Oxford from their high end range, spent several days polishing them lovingly, and turned them into a true high end RTW shoe.
That would cost them a lot to do and I suppose people would be more tempted by E.G. & GG. My advice to anyone who's buying a new pair is to lavish that care on them before wearing them and I think you'll be surprised at just how good they can be. Another thing is the Burlington arcade shop is staffed by lovely folk and I wish I could say the same about some of their competitors. I'm a human being and it's nice to see them adapt accordingly. I'm not royalty or a Sir, a nice cuppa and a hi Joe is always appreciated, by me at least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads