• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoefan57

Reaction score
US has no VAT to deduct. $675 is the price with no tax.
True. But what happens is by the time both VAT and import taxes are added together with shipping, the boots are way way more costly than they are here where they’re made.

Marmite89

Reaction score
Possibly as cost effective to MTO them in the UK than import from the US. I’ve been looking at the DR Moray in the Choc Hurricane Hide and been toying with the economics.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Just looked again at DR website. The prices charged for C&J boots are at or above what comparable boots cost in UK. Therefore when importing them back to UK you’re paying way more for them - VAT On top of an already UK (VAT inclusive) price plus import taxes. Still cheaper than going MTO though

Gustaf

Reaction score

Most US states have a sales tax charged in the delivery state, but if I understand it correctly some states exempt online purchases from sales tax if the transaction ships to an international address, even if they would tax the same goods purchased in a local retail outlet. Is VA (where DR is based) one of those states? Or is the price exempt from sales tax because they currently operate online only (according to their website)?

Gustaf

Reaction score
Possibly as cost effective to MTO them in the UK than import from the US. I’ve been looking at the DR Moray in the Choc Hurricane Hide and been toying with the economics.
Just looked again at DR website. The prices charged for C&J boots are at or above what comparable boots cost in UK. Therefore when importing them back to UK you’re paying way more for them - VAT On top of an already UK (VAT inclusive) price plus import taxes. Still cheaper than going MTO though

What’s the MTO fee these days?

The price difference between MTO and DR will depend on where the buyer is located, i.e. how much shippping, VAT, duties and fees that need to paid for the imported shoes. Could make for some interesting calculations.

But even if the MTO cost was on par with the landed DR cost (which I doubt it would be for most buyers in Europe, don’t know about ROW) an MTO takes a lot longer.

A full 12 strong GMTO could be cheaper though.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most US states have a sales tax charged in the delivery state, but if I understand it correctly some states exempt online purchases from sales tax if the transaction ships to an international address, even if they would tax the same goods purchased in a local retail outlet. Is VA (where DR is based) one of those states? Or is the price exempt from sales tax because they currently operate online only (according to their website)?

I have no idea about international purchases and sales tax. I was just pointing out that the US has no national sales tax (aka VAT) and that in the US, it's common practice to show the pre-tax prices of items, in this case $675.

C&J's US retail price for the Coniston is $670 for the roughout suede model and $760 for scotch grain so it's not like DR's prices are out of line for US retail. Plus with DR models, you get a **** ton more words of endless description on their site than any other site.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Wife had a pair of boots MTO that in their RTW form retailed at £490. Cost £950 MTO partly cos used “Russia Calf”.
US C&J prices are higher then than UK prices.
DR make ups are cracking boots for sure.

Gustaf

Reaction score
I have no idea about international purchases and sales tax. I was just pointing out that the US has no national sales tax (aka VAT) and that in the US, it's common practice to show the pre-tax prices of items, in this case $675.

C&J's US retail price for the Coniston is $670 for the roughout suede model and $760 for scotch grain so it's not like DR's prices are out of line for US retail. Plus with DR models, you get a **** ton more words of endless description on their site than any other site.

Yes, you are of course right. My post was born more out of curiosity for how the sales tax in the US works in general for different types of sales channels and outlets. I haven’t purchased that many items directly from US retailers; I tend to get stuck on stuff requiring freight forwarders.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s the prose that does it….

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you are of course right. My post was born more out of curiosity for how the sales tax in the US works in general for different types of sales channels and outlets. I haven’t purchased that many items directly from US retailers; I tend to get stuck on stuff requiring freight forwarders.

In general, if you buy something in store, you will pay sales tax for wherever the store is. It used to be common that if you buy a big ticket item in store (like a watch), they would ship it to you and not charge you tax. If you order something online, most places will charge sales tax of whatever state it's going to be delivered to. But there are still a few places that don't collect sales tax for online orders. There are several overseas retailers that do collect US state sales tax for online orders.

Pretty much every city, county, state has different sales tax laws and different rates so there's not really a universal answer.

I suspect for overseas orders, most US retailers aren't going to collect any taxes.

Gustaf

Reaction score
In general, if you buy something in store, you will pay sales tax for wherever the store is. It used to be common that if you buy a big ticket item in store (like a watch), they would ship it to you and not charge you tax. If you order something online, most places will charge sales tax of whatever state it's going to be delivered to. But there are still a few places that don't collect sales tax for online orders. There are several overseas retailers that do collect US state sales tax for online orders.

Pretty much every city, county, state has different sales tax laws and different rates so there's not really a universal answer.

I suspect for overseas orders, most US retailers aren't going to collect any taxes.

As you say, it varies a lot, but in line with your last paragraph and my admittedly limited experience I have yet to see any US online retailer apply tax on sales to international buyers.

In any case, I am sorry if I went off on a bit of a tangent here.

To bring it back on the topic of landed cost, which is what was discussed earlier, here is an actual data point:

Importing leather shoes to Sweden, which is in the EU, from a country outside the EU (such as US and UK) adds 8 % in duties and 25 % in VAT to the total purchase price (including the shipping cost), meaning a 35 % markup. Then the carrier adds an administrative fee on top of all that for good measure.

You have to really like shoes to do this.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pembroke in darg Brown Wax Calf. From Bodileys, always excellent service.

IMG_7659.jpg
IMG_7660.jpg
IMG_7661.jpg
IMG_7662.jpg

JPJ109

Reaction score
Hi all,
A newby here, and trying to get my head around C&J Coniston's from here in Aus.
A have the usual RM's and a few pairs of Cheaney shoes and Oak Street Trench boots with leather soles. But I do wear my shoes hard & given its coming into winter here Danite looks the go.
I can get a pair of Conistons here in my size (UK8) if the 325 last is similar to the Cheaney 125 last, but saw a great comparison picture with the Carmina Oscar & now am undecided!
The Oscar can be had in Cordovan hatch grain (Burgundy shell hatch grain, is it really that red as the picture on the Carmina site is unclear?) for not that much more than the Coniston in tan scotch country grain, or the Oscar in Tan Karagrain which looks similar to the Coniston tan for less $.
I usually go with brown boots and thought the Coniston in tan may be a nice change (and I can get it here), and will likely stand up to abuse a bit better.
It just so happens I may be able to get my hands on a pair of the Galway II in Cordovan, but with the leather sole....
Help!
Thanks..

Last edited:

Diego65

Reaction score
Hi, quality-wise, C&J and Carmina are fantastic; my way to go is rubber sole; in terms of last, C&J 325 is quite different to Cheaney 125; Cheaney is more elongated and sleek.
Coniston is a robust boot. I wear the same model in tan in the countryside in the UK and no problem, I take care of the leather.
I own Carmina boots, but I never put these boots to an actual abuse; always, I wear in the city.
I think there is a matter of taste; you will never be wrong whether you choose C&J or Carmina.
Cheers!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads