• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about shortening odd jackets

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
How easy is this to do? I just got 4 odd jackets back from Mr. Ned and I think they are all about 1/2 of an inch too long. If I go back and tell them this how easy would it be to fix? Is this a fairly common and easy alteration? Also, before I go ahead, where exactly is the consensus on where the bottom of the jacket should lie? Thanks

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1/2 inch should be fine -- anything north of an inch is very, very dicey and tends to throw the whole jacket off

"Easy" is a relative term. If I was shaving this done, I would take it to - and pay for - the best tailor I could find.

I am sure there are threads on this as well as an endless amount of advice and preference on where your jacket's length should fall.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
1/2 inch should be fine -- anything north of an inch is very, very dicey and tends to throw the whole jacket off

"Easy" is a relative term. If I was shaving this done, I would take it to - and pay for - the best tailor I could find.

I am sure there are threads on this as well as an endless amount of advice and preference on where your jacket's length should fall.

You don't think I should bring it back to the tailor who made the jacket? I think I will solicit a few opinions and mull it over before deciding if I want to bring it in.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just take it back it's easy for him to shorten a jacket by 1/2". If you don't want to do that expect to pay a tailor about $30 per jacket.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
You don't think I should bring it back to the tailor who made the jacket? I think I will solicit a few opinions and mull it over before deciding if I want to bring it in.

Yes, take it back to to Mr. Ned. If the jacket has pic stitching or any sort of edge stitch, he will be able to duplicate same as original. I suggest doing only one jacket and judge the result. You may want it shortened more or less. Do one as a sample. If a tailor says he will shorten a jacket for 30.00 his work/result may be less than you would be happy with. Shortening a jacket takes time and more so with vents.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Yes, take it back to to Mr. Ned. If the jacket has pic stitching or any sort of edge stitch, he will be able to duplicate same as original. I suggest doing only one jacket and judge the result. You may want it shortened more or less. Do one as a sample. If a tailor says he will shorten a jacket for 30.00 his work/result may be less than you would be happy with. Shortening a jacket takes time and more so with vents.

Ok, I am out of town and then he is out of town the first 2 weeks of August so I will get to this when he returns and report back.

Darnmor

Reaction score
If the jacket was tailored for you, you should have had a fitting before it was stitched, even with a semi-bespoke your tailor should have called you back once he'd cut the cloth for a fitting. If it doesn't fit he should correct this without charge.

I strongly suggest finding a new tailor.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
If the jacket was tailored for you, you should have had a fitting before it was stitched, even with a semi-bespoke your tailor should have called you back once he’d cut the cloth for a fitting. If it doesn’t fit he should correct this without charge. I strongly suggest finding a new tailor.
I had 3 fittings prior to completion. This was my first time trying this particular tailor.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ascot, I just stopped by this post to tell you that I'm glad you're having this trouble, and to go *************.
tongue.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Ascot, I just stopped by this post to tell you that I'm glad you're having this trouble, and to go *************.
tongue.gif

Damn son...that's cold.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
If the jacket was tailored for you, you should have had a fitting before it was stitched, even with a semi-bespoke your tailor should have called you back once he'd cut the cloth for a fitting. If it doesn't fit he should correct this without charge.

I strongly suggest finding a new tailor.

This sounds more like a AAAC comment.
he did have a raw try on. or at least a basted fitting.
and sometime what looks ok in the tailor's shop, might seem off after wearing the garments a few times.

1/2" is a simple alteration and Ned will do it with out a fuss. He may give reasons for why the length should be left as is, but in the end he will do as the poster wishes.

You find another tailor in NYC that will make a suit for $1000. that is not sent back from china/HK

Carl

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tongue.gif

LULZ

I agree. Dude's a little turd.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
tongue.gif

If only I had hired a successful community college grad like you to be my "image consultant" and to find links to online deals for me none of this would ever have happened!

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
This sounds more like a AAAC comment. he did have a raw try on. or at least a basted fitting. and sometime what looks ok in the tailor's shop, might seem off after wearing the garments a few times. 1/2" is a simple alteration and Ned will do it with out a fuss. He may give reasons for why the length should be left as is, but in the end he will do as the poster wishes. You find another tailor in NYC that will make a suit for $1000. that is not sent back from china/HK Carl
Oh, I know Ned will do it without a fuss. Since this was our first transaction, when he delivered the jackets to me he said to wear them for a week or two then come back if there is anything I want changed. I just hope nipping a 1/2 inch doesn't change the balance of the jacket too much. I suppose I will talk it over with him when he returns from vacation and try it out on one jacket to see how it works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads