• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Corduroy Sport Coat

ILoveSportCoats

Reaction score
Hello all and thank you for reading,

I have a corduroy sport coat I purchased a year ago. I've worn this jacket quite a bit, and the edge of the flap is fading. It cannot really be seen unless I open up the jacket, but I am afraid this is getting worse. Is there anything I can do to reduce this fade, to make it look nicer, and/or to at the least stop it from getting worse?

Thanks!

Signed:

ILoveSportCoats

Macallan

Reaction score
Roll around on the grass with the jacket on; in my opinion, cord jackets look better with some fade and wear. It gives a more casual look, while still looking smart if paired appropriately.

ILoveSportCoats

Reaction score
Roll around on the grass with the jacket on; in my opinion, cord jackets look better with some fade and wear. It gives a more casual look, while still looking smart if paired appropriately.

Thanks Macallan for taking the time to read me.

You are saying the fade looks good?

So it is normal for the fold in a sportcoat to fade that way?

Does that fade signify lower quality?

What about some type of dye?

Macallan

Reaction score
You are saying the fade looks good? - for a casual jacket, yes. I have a casual cotton sports jacket with flap pockets; it has started to fade, the flap has some roll and there are signs of wear on the pockets; looks better now then it did on day one.

So it is normal for the fold in a sportcoat to fade that way? - depends on cloth. Cords - yes, wool - no

Does that fade signify lower quality? - fading does not mean poor quality; however, a poor quality cloth could fade quicker

What about some type of dye? - leave it how it is, using dye is more likely to make it look worse

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the jacket only fading around the lapels then it may look ugly if it gets worse. If its a cheap jacket then you may try washing it once the lapel really gets worse. PRL offers really nice casual washed corduroy jackets. Any rough estimate how many times you worn this jacket ? Did you wear this jacket without a collared shirt ?
I have a navy corduroy SC from ps . I hope it doesn't happen to my jacket .
**Wash it at your own risk.**

ILoveSportCoats

Reaction score
I purchased two of the same sport jackets one and a half year ago. The one with fading lapels is in the picture, and is the one I've worn the most. Pretty much every working day the most since then. The brown jacket also has some fading even though it has been used much less so the fading is not exclusively due to usage but also to time.

Never worn without collared short.

Last edited:

ILoveSportCoats

Reaction score
I purchased two of the same sport jackets one and a half year ago. The one with fading lapels is in the picture, and is the one I've worn the most. Pretty much every working day the most since then. The brown jacket also has some fading even though it has been used much less so the fading is not exclusively due to usage but also to time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads