• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of bowties

burmeseboyz

Reaction score
I'm a graduate student so normally, I don't wear a tie to work. But occasionally, I need to dress up nicely for a presentation or something and I usually wear a bow tie. This isn't for anything major like a job interview; I wouldn't wear a bow tie for that. I do love bow ties though, because they're much easier to tie than a regular tie. And they reveal how cool and confident you are. If you're nervous and fidgety, the bow tie would just make you look ridiculous. But if you're on top of your game, they work amazingly.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You do have to be supremely confident and with a defined look....

I do admit that bow ties wearers are always annoying me especially if they're uber posh...

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
now people expect me to wear it.

isn't this a huge con? i wouldn't want to be "that guy who wears a bowtie." you'd have to have some serious style (or maybe irony) to overcome the clown/geek/college professor/nation of islam/dagwood/pee wee herman connotations.

jmacak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
isn't this a huge con? i wouldn't want to be "that guy who wears a bowtie." you'd have to have some serious style (or maybe irony) to overcome the clown/geek/college professor/nation of islam/dagwood/pee wee herman connotations.

Hi

That's one thing that keeps me from wearing a bow tie more often. I DON'T want to become known for wearing bow ties. I'd rather be known as the guy who dresses really nicely.

cheers

joe in seattle

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not necessarily a con. it's an image thing. I always wear one to our local or national bar events. if I wear a tie, sometimes people don't recognize me. I got to meet with Obama and several other senators a number of times (I was chief of staff to a president of a national organization). I wore a tie once and they didn't recognize me. When I have the bowtie on, they come right up and remember my name, etc. Again, it doesn't bother me. It helps me stand out.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm afraid I have to agree. I'm sure that some guys can make it look great, but I've just never seen it. It just seems to me that a bowtie accompanies a certain body type/personality and it's hard to get away from it.

For example, Alber Elbaz, designer of Lanvin, always wears a bowtie. He has that sort of quirky nerdiness about him that makes it work (though this particular outfit doesn't do anything for me, he wears a bowtie with nearly everything):
00550m.jpg

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
00550m.jpg

If you are going to wear a bowtie keep it small and tight. I've never seen this man before but IMHO he looks like a clown.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the bow is too wide for his face and this looks like an Orville Redenbacher 3 1/2 width bowtie rather than the now standard approx. 2 1/2 in bow.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas0302
Believe it or not, bowties are somewhat common with kids my age (21) here in my area (north carolina), at least among preps.

I never wear them in a serious setting but in other casual settings where neckware is appropriate, I probably wear them 3/4 of the time.

There are two reactions you usually get from girls my age, either they love it and often ask if you can teach them how to tie one, or they smile and giggle. In both situations they are intrigued and it leads to conversation, so it's a win-win in my opinion.

I'm a few years older than you, but from the same state and had the same reactions
bigstar[1].gif

For those ofyou familiar with the ladder theory, bowties go under 'novel'.

Frrrank

Reaction score
bigstar[1].gif
One pro is that women either love them or hate them, and those that love them can't resist coming over to straighten or adjust it.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads