• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of bowties

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
that;s another myth. I am 36 and I have women of all ranges (20-50) who love the look. it really depends on you being comfortable in the bowtie. if you look uncomfortable or unsure of yourself, it will telegraph a negative message. I think a better way is to practice on weekends wearing one and then during the week once you get used to it. It was hard for me at first as well. now people expect me to wear it. in fact, I see more and more men wearing them and some have said they started wearing them b/c they saw me.

go ahead. live dangerously.

Well, there are different kids of "love the look." The first is Oh you look soooo cute in that bow tie...I could just pinch your cheeks! Could you be my nice safe guy-friend? By the way, do you know a good brand of popping corn?

And then there's Oh my, you handsome man, you...I can barely keep my lithe, cat-like body off of you....

Now, are you sure you're getting the second type of response from a bow tie?
tounge.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually never get the first response or the second one eeither, I usualy hear things like wow did you tie that your self, or I love the way you look in that tie and of course others just stare but I know what they mean.

Thomas0302

Reaction score
Believe it or not, bowties are somewhat common with kids my age (21) here in my area (north carolina), at least among preps.

I never wear them in a serious setting but in other casual settings where neckware is appropriate, I probably wear them 3/4 of the time.

I went to a high school where the students had to wear a tie twice a week and I often went with a bow. There are two reactions you usually get from girls my age, either they love it and often ask if you can teach them how to tie one, or they smile and giggle. In both situations they are intrigued and it leads to conversation, so it's a win-win in my opinion.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas0302
Believe it or not, bowties are somewhat common with kids my age (21) here in my area (north carolina), at least among preps. I never wear them in a serious setting but in other casual settings where neckware is appropriate, I probably wear them 3/4 of the time. I went to a high school where the students had to wear a tie twice a week and I often went with a bow. There are two reactions you usually get from girls my age, either they love it and often ask if you can teach them how to tie one, or they smile and giggle. In both situations they are intrigued and it leads to conversation, so it's a win-win in my opinion.
You know, after reading these threads I am of the opinion now that bow ties fall into the fun and foppish fashion category - like blocked hats, garden party hats for ladies, Brit styled stripey shirts, nautical pants, cocktail cuff shirts [guilty], etc. Suitable for occasions when you want to make a Statement; not for business or office.

Thomas0302

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
You know, after reading these threads I am of the opinion now that bow ties fall into the fun and foppish fashion category - like blocked hats, garden party hats for ladies, Brit styled stripey shirts, nautical pants, cocktail cuff shirts [guilty], etc. Suitable for occasions when you want to make a Statement; not for business or office.

I agree with you completely. When I get a graduate and get a job I know that I would never wear one to the office. At this point in my life though, nearly all the things I attend where neckware is appropriate are fun, casual settings.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not true for all bowties, it is certain styles and the way people wear them that make them come off as silly and not serious enough for the work place, I have been wearing them all my life and would never even considering picking up a necktie, if you see the way I wear them you might change your opinions on them

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
This is not true for all bowties, it is certain styles and the way people wear them that make them come off as silly and not serious enough for the work place, I have been wearing them all my life and would never even considering picking up a necktie, if you see the way I wear them you might change your opinions on them

Well I for one would love to see some pics to help me "change my opinion." I really appreciate your love for bowties, but seriously do not understand your disdain for neckties.

Salud!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a camera for my computer I would get pics for you, For me it's just that bowties are the first kind of tie I ever wore the likeness of them passed down from my father, I just always like dthe way they looked on me and for other reasons like not being able to spill food on them and not hanging so losey in harms way(paper shreaders, water fountians, cups of coffee or soup, etc) Not having to worry about it blowing in the wind or spending $ on accesories to keep it in it's place, I find them to be much more convienent than neckties as well and I guess not having ever worn a neckties in my life I shouldn't completley denounce them they do look nice on others and I would be a hippocrite to all those who anger me having so much hatred for bowties having never tried one themself's. I would be willing to try one sometime if I could get someone to do the oppisite for me and we could exchange notes or something, it might even be a wonderful learning expereance or something.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a camera for my computer I would get pics for you, For me it's just that bowties are the first kind of tie I ever wore the likeness of them passed down from my father, I just always like dthe way they looked on me and for other reasons like not being able to spill food on them and not hanging so losey in harms way(paper shreaders, water fountians, cups of coffee or soup, etc) Not having to worry about it blowing in the wind or spending $ on accesories to keep it in it's place, I find them to be much more convienent than neckties as well and I guess not having ever worn a neckties in my life I shouldn't completley denounce them they do look nice on others and I would be a hippocrite to all those who anger me having so much hatred for bowties having never tried one themself's. I would be willing to try one sometime if I could get someone to do the oppisite for me and we could exchange notes or something, it might even be a wonderful learning expereance or something.

Please, sir, end a sentence before starting another. And proofread your posts on occasion, if you could. It would make them far easier to read, and I would be eternally grateful.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I wear them on Tuesdays. Colleagues and adversaries alike seem to enjoy them. Some judges give me a hard time, since I am young (30), and they believe I have not yet earned the right to wear them. And never in front of a jury.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Hmm, I might have to disagree. I would say that my friends expect me to pull out a bow on certain festive occassions which I usually do. Although, I still stick to neckties for more serious scenarios (job interviews, meetings, court, etc.)

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian278, I am sorry for my inacurracies I didn't know this was an online english class. I was under the impression that it was a site of etertainment and to have fun and meet new people and I also had no idea that punctuation and sentence structure had anything to do with bowties the subject of the tread which seems to have been deviated from thanks to certain unamed individuals. Anyways back to the topic i would say that there is no earned right to wearing a bowtie, they are for all to enjoy who is darring enough to put one on. If you want to wear one then do, meany people don't in a court house because of the old and inacurate myth about them being untrustworthy, which I can assure you isn't true.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brian278, I am sorry for my inacurracies I didn't know this was an online english class. I was under the impression that it was a site of etertainment and to have fun and meet new people and I also had no idea that punctuation and sentence structure had anything to do with bowties the subject of the tread which seems to have been deviated from thanks to certain unamed individuals. Anyways back to the topic i would say that there is no earned right to wearing a bowtie, they are for all to enjoy who is darring enough to put one on. If you want to wear one then do, meany people don't in a court house because of the old and inacurate myth about them being untrustworthy, which I can assure you isn't true.
The point is that a part of that fun is to be courteous to others to allow them to have fun as well. Extreme run-ons with no punctuation in sight just gives most members a headache and makes it hard to take whatever the poster is saying seriously. While in real life there are any number of non-verbal cues that help to define who we are (what we are wearing, how we look, etc.) on an online forum our use of language is our only defining characteristic and source of credibility. Paragraph long, rambling runs-ons that make no sense are basically the internet equivalent of going out in public wearing floppy clown shoes, an "I'm with Stupid" tee shirt, shiny Hammer pants, and one of those flannel hats with the big ear flaps on the side and expecting to be taken seriously for it. A bowtie, of course, is optional in this case.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
The point is that a part of that fun is to be courteous to others to allow them to have fun as well. Extreme run-ons with no punctuation in sight just gives most members a headache and makes it hard to take whatever the poster is saying seriously.

Thank you. You'll notice that this forum has a generally higher standard of language in the posts, which is one of the reasons I like it. It's much easier to read, and the posters come off as more intelligent because of it. Feel free to continue to post how you want, bowtielover, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds your posts difficult to read. And people are in general less likely to read and give credit to posts that disregard basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Well, there are different kids of "love the look." The first is Oh you look soooo cute in that bow tie...I could just pinch your cheeks! Could you be my nice safe guy-friend? By the way, do you know a good brand of popping corn?

And then there's Oh my, you handsome man, you...I can barely keep my lithe, cat-like body off of you....

Now, are you sure you're getting the second type of response from a bow tie?
tounge.gif

actually, all I get is the second response. Amazing how many women like to pull on the bow and undo it - it is a subtle sexual suggestion. I travel alot for work and I get picked up more by hot women while wearing the bowtie than not. Again, it is a confidence thing. You stand out and women are intrigued by that - sorta like the peacock thing. If I weren't married, then this would be really something. Alas, I settle for a drink and conversation. . . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads