• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ronscuba

Reaction score
It’s funny with the lookbooks. I’m a happy PC customer but the lookbooks don’t speak to me at all. Everything is styled in the exact same MOR slim-fit aesthetic. Of course that appeals to some people, but I’d say the whole point of an MTM shirt company is that it can appeal to nearly all guys. A shirt is probably the most versatile item in a man’s wardrobe, so to me it would be a no-brainer to also show them worn with streetwear, with milsurp, vintage, or in very directional oversized looks. PC clearly has a different vision, but I’d think you can only widen your reach if you don’t only propagate a single aesthetic.
What is MOR ?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does Proper Cloth ever restock items from their look book/collections ? Many of the items I want are listed as sold out.

And speaking of, I think they do a very good job with the look book photo shoots. Gives me ideas on outfits and I seem to always order an item from the collection.

Thanks @ronscuba Glad to hear you enjoy them and find them useful.

Regarding re-stocks - it really depends on the product and you can always email the support team to check on a specific item. But generally speaking, unless it's a particularly classic style we probably won't be bringing it back in-season. That said, each collection we put out usually builds on what we did the previous year, so if it was a popular item we'd probably be adding something similar again.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Thanks @ronscuba Glad to hear you enjoy them and find them useful.

Regarding re-stocks - it really depends on the product and you can always email the support team to check on a specific item. But generally speaking, unless it's a particularly classic style we probably won't be bringing it back in-season. That said, each collection we put out usually builds on what we did the previous year, so if it was a popular item we'd probably be adding something similar again.
Thanks. In the casual wear line I'd like to see more reddish and brown colors like burgandy and mocha.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Middle of the road.
Ah, got it. They definitely use slim and fit male models. I guess they could use a few thicker builds.

Are styles like military surplus, streetwear, oversized and vintage, getting made to measure shirts ?

Sammm

Reaction score
Ah, got it. They definitely use slim and fit male models. I guess they could use a few thicker builds.

Are styles like military surplus, streetwear, oversized and vintage, getting made to measure shirts ?
True – I wear all of those things and I wear MTM shirts nearly every day, but maybe I’m an exception. I just suddenly wondered why the most versatile garment is styled in such a narrow range of ways.

And yeah, showing how shirts can suit heavier guys would be an obvious tactic for an MTM company.

I have no beef here, I’m just always a bit surprised when people say they love the PC lookbooks.

Last edited:

Pb924

Reaction score
It’s funny with the lookbooks. I’m a happy PC customer but the lookbooks don’t speak to me at all. Everything is styled in the exact same MOR slim-fit aesthetic. Of course that appeals to some people, but I’d say the whole point of an MTM shirt company is that it can appeal to nearly all guys. A shirt is probably the most versatile item in a man’s wardrobe, so to me it would be a no-brainer to also show them worn with streetwear, with milsurp, vintage, or in very directional oversized looks. PC clearly has a different vision, but I’d think you can only widen your reach if you don’t only propagate a single aesthetic.
The look books are insanely good in my eyes. You can tell PC goes above and beyond preparing them and I always find pieces that I end up purchasing based on the look book. I think what you're suggesting would be a directional shift that is a little too far outside the lane that PC thrives in, but I agree it would be fun to see some different silhouettes.

mockingboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question - but yes we can purchase fabrics from Thomas Mason's full selection.

Sorry I wasn’t clear; online there are 3 pages of Thomas mason fabrics but at my tailor he has a bunch of books and many many more options.

Was curious if you a) had more options and b) how would I order them from you in my pattern?

thanks!

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn’t clear; online there are 3 pages of Thomas mason fabrics but at my tailor he has a bunch of books and many many more options.

Was curious if you a) had more options and b) how would I order them from you in my pattern?

thanks!

This is a good request. There are a lot of "Goldline" fabrics I would have purchased but were not offered. For something like those, I also wish there was more info on the fabric weight. For instance, TM's Hampton books has a lot of different twill fabrics, but there is a lot of variance in fabric weight. I have no idea which of these PC is offering and often customer service has not idea either. Sea Island fabrics are the same issue. DJA has 5-6 different Sea Island bunches, all of different weights. This would be helpful information.

ronscuba

Reaction score
True – I wear all of those things and I wear MTM shirts nearly every day, but maybe I’m an exception. I just suddenly wondered why the most versatile garment is styled in such a narrow range of ways.

And yeah, showing how shirts can suit heavier guys would be an obvious tactic for an MTM company.

I have no beef here, I’m just always a bit surprised when people say they love the PC lookbooks.
Cool you have a versatile style. I am sure many others do as well. My narrow thinking pictures MTM shirts as closer fitting. Heights outside of average also benefit.

I am not up to date with the latest in those other styles, but they seem looser fitting ? Maybe this is a potential market for MTM ? I am ignorant about that type of clothing.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

thanks!

Ah - I see. What we have available is what you see on the site. Coincidentally we're launching more new Thomas Mason fabrics tomorrow.

As for the whole catalog, we can't make that available to order from. In order to offer the entire TM catalog we'd need to be purchasing fabrics in cut-lengths, which is operationally difficult and quite expensive. However, we're always adding more styles so if you post things you like here or send them to our support team we will certainly keep those requests in mind and try to eventually get to them.

paulraphael

Reaction score

I think this is a huge missed opportunity. They're showing an MTM brand on the kinds of models that can wear absolutely everything off the rack.

Other companies have figured out that if you can take people who don't look like models, and outfit them so that they look amazing, you've struck gold.

I also think the brooding, rugged individualist look is staring to feel like self-parody.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Thanks @Seph

Their workhorse oxfords both in solids as well as a variety of stripes are great and I would order a bunch of those. I think from the same bunch as the existing TM stripes Oxford you have already some mix of solids and stripes would be awesome!

Ah - I see. What we have available is what you see on the site. Coincidentally we're launching more new Thomas Mason fabrics tomorrow.

As for the whole catalog, we can't make that available to order from. In order to offer the entire TM catalog we'd need to be purchasing fabrics in cut-lengths, which is operationally difficult and quite expensive. However, we're always adding more styles so if you post things you like here or send them to our support team we will certainly keep those requests in mind and try to eventually get to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads