• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
New shirt alert!! This one is the Japanese Slub Weave pattern in the hickory finish.
I dialed down the measurements for a slimmer fit as I’m losing a few pounds and the adjustments were solid!
Will post properly ironed and styled images later.
F2A108DA-08FD-483C-A1AB-AFBCBB7E266A.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New shirt alert!! This one is the Japanese Slub Weave pattern in the hickory finish.
I dialed down the measurements for a slimmer fit as I’m losing a few pounds and the adjustments were solid!
Will post properly ironed and styled images later. View attachment 1677700
I think your preferred look cuts slimmer than mine, but glad you're finding what works for you. PC is great when you really get the fit dialed down.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Will post properly ironed and styled images later. View attachment 1677700

Looks great. i'm a sucker for everything in that general color palette. How does the fabric feel?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the brushed chambray feels compared to regular chambray? Is it as soft as a flannel?

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
Do y'all keep different measurements on file to account for shrinkage allowance?

I am about 99% sure Propercloth attempts to account for the shrinkage allowances on their end. I think if you try to account for different shrinkage on your end, they will then target your new measurements when accounting for shrinkage on their end, and you will get shrinkage double accounted for. I am three shirts in with ProperCloth, and they have gotten the shrinkage estimates right on all three.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
I am about 99% sure Propercloth attempts to account for the shrinkage allowances on their end

They do. On my shirt they missed by a mile, but yymv.

Did I read that you can give them actual shirt measurements instead of your body measurements? If that's the case I might try them again. Some of their fabrics look outstanding, it's just that the shirt did not fit at all for me.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do y'all keep different measurements on file to account for shrinkage allowance?

That's about all you can do to counteract PC being way off on their shrinkage allowance for some fabrics. Sadly if you're going to do this, it kind of requires you to get burned on a fabric that didn't shrink properly. I recently tried one of the garment washed cotton/linen oxfords. Way too much shrinkage built into that shirt and I'm returning it unfortunately.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about 99% sure Propercloth attempts to account for the shrinkage allowances on their end. I think if you try to account for different shrinkage on your end, they will then target your new measurements when accounting for shrinkage on their end, and you will get shrinkage double accounted for. I am three shirts in with ProperCloth, and they have gotten the shrinkage estimates right on all three.
They do. On my shirt they missed by a mile, but yymv.

Did I read that you can give them actual shirt measurements instead of your body measurements? If that's the case I might try them again. Some of their fabrics look outstanding, it's just that the shirt did not fit at all for me.
That's about all you can do to counteract PC being way off on their shrinkage allowance for some fabrics. Sadly if you're going to do this, it kind of requires you to get burned on a fabric that didn't shrink properly. I recently tried one of the garment washed cotton/linen oxfords. Way too much shrinkage built into that shirt and I'm returning it unfortunately.
Interesting. Thanks all. I'm in the "missed by a mile" boat, it seems. PC seems to have nailed my sizing with 1.5% shrinkage, and have gotten the 1% close enough, but have not been anywhere close with the standard shrinkage allowance. That said, the shirts that dramatically failed (Baird linens in light blue) was assigned standard shrinkage when ordered, which appears to have been adjusted to the typical 1.5% for all other Bairds. Any insight into this by chance @Seph

In any event, I think I'll be checking in with CS to make double certain before venturing out too far from my comfort zone.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
I'm in the "missed by a mile" boat, it seems. PC seems to have nailed my sizing with 1.5% shrinkage, a

mine was a flannel from g r a n d i and rubinelli. I love the fabric but the fit was unsalvageable.

proper cloth has some Fabrics I would like to try but luxire has nailed the fit for me every time and isn't missing much in terms of fabric either. I suppose I am shopping there from now on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics