• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

problems with shoulders and quarters of preowned jackets

denglinpiano

Reaction score
I recently purchased a preowned burberry blazer. The problem is that the shoulders have been altered before and have a creased appearance to them, and that the quarters of the jacket are very open, resulting in the bottom of my shirt peaking out. I am wondering whether a tailor can realter my jacket so that the shoulders are smooth and the quarters do not open to such a large extent.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210125_141014.jpg
    20210125_141014.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210125_140901.jpg
    20210125_140901.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 96

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the shoulders look different? Its possible they were trying to go for some sort of like... faux spalla look.

I don't know if a tailor can change the quarters. I should think that would be difficult.

denglinpiano

Reaction score
Would it be possible to remove the faux spalla look? This is a very british looking jacket.

The jacket has been altered with the effect that the quarters of the jacket open up too much. Would letting out the waist close the quarters a bit?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I could help you. These are tailor questions. Changing the shoulders i don't think is likely a good idea. Are the shoulders different from each other?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks fine on you from what we can see of the photos. The shoulders have not been altered, that gathering is normal around a roped hem. More importantly the shoulders fit you correctly, indeed just about perfectly. What would you change about them?

Sleeve length is good, as is overall jacket length—maybe a centimeter long but who’s counting? I’m not seeing an issue with the quarters or a lot of shirt showing. It looks like you’re wearing an untucked t-shirt so yeah—some of it will show. Try tucking in your shirt! Can’t tell how the waist fits—if too loose that is readily fixed unlike shoulders or quarter cut. What’s not to like?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The coat above fits better than the Suitsupply stuff often posted here.

Tuck in your shirt. If the shirt shows, get higher rise trousers. Get a tailor to press the sleeve if the shape bothers you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads